Author Topic: MERCY  (Read 8078 times)

Offline ultraviolet_1

• Babyface
MERCY
« on: January 05, 2009, 01:30:17 PM »
Where is Mercy??, or have they just changed the title??

Offline Aburrow

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: MERCY
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 02:10:26 PM »
My guess: Mercy will never be heard from again.

If the new material is as good or better, I won't weep.

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 02:12:21 PM »
I personally think that Moment of Surrender will be a transformed version of Mercy, but I obviously haven't heard it yet so who knows.

Offline Kenitai

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »
It'll probably become a B-side, me thinks. :( A little bit sad, because I liked the song.

Offline Malachi

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Is in cyberspace
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 02:20:20 PM »
Yeh! Me thinks it will be a b-side. Not to fussed though. Will prefer to hear a comletely new song than a redone Version of mercy.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 03:19:33 PM »
Mercy will NOT be on the album, it's been basically forgotten for a year.

Revolver7

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 03:43:43 PM »
I wish they had just put Mercy on Atomic Bomb...I think it would have fit in well, and it would've given the album a different feel...a better one though!

I can't believe they cut it out!

Offline LaughingGas

• Refugee
  • "Your face pressed up against the glass"
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 03:47:01 PM »
I am glad that it appears that Mercy will not be on the new album.  I like the song and all, but I want a whole album of fresh U2 songs that I have never listened to before.  In my mind, Mercy, is associated too much with Atomic Bomb ;)

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 03:48:45 PM »
Yeah, deserved a place in HTDAAB, a great song wasted.

Offline U2STORM

• Wanderer
  • Me 2008
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 04:03:17 PM »
I Liked Mercy, i think that maybe U2 will release it as a Bside, probably not. Mercy is a good song, but in my humble opinion Mercy had to many typical lyric cliches and wasn't a strong enough song to be on HTDAAB. I'd consider it a good B-side. I agree with laughing Gas, that mercy isn't a Fresh song.

My question is what happened to "For Your Love"? I remember a couple of articles that edge described it as one of the best songs on the album...Perhaps the name was changed? 

Offline Number1U2fan

• Party Girl/Boy
  • "we're one..but we're not the same..."
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 09:04:06 PM »
Maybe Mercy was going to be a part of the original material they were working on in Morocco before they scrapped everything and went a new direction?? But Mercy is a killer song and should've been on the tracklist for HTDAAB!!

streetmission

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 09:42:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I Liked Mercy, i think that maybe U2 will release it as a Bside, probably not. Mercy is a good song, but in my humble opinion Mercy had to many typical lyric cliches and wasn't a strong enough song to be on HTDAAB. I'd consider it a good B-side. I agree with laughing Gas, that mercy isn't a Fresh song.

My question is what happened to "For Your Love"? I remember a couple of articles that edge described it as one of the best songs on the album...Perhaps the name was changed? 

I'm guessing the name was changed.  "One Bird" is a song that was mentioned that seems to have disappeared; probably provisional song titles.  As for Mercy, it's a nice B side, but never really felt finished.  I'm hoping for all new material on NLOH.

Offline domino

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 09:54:24 PM »
I love Mercy but I haven't ever felt that it was strong enough to fit on HTDAAB. And i also thought it's a bit too..trite. Maybe it's not cohesive enough for me...just a bunch of Bono one-liners strewn together, still great though. I thought 'Are you gonna wait forever?' was more suited to HTDAAB (but not good enough by a tiny bit). I kinda like how it wasn't/probably isn't going to be on an album, cause it's such a good track, b-side or not, a real gem that not too many have heard...maybe im just being selfish :)

I'm also curious bout 'For your love'....and 'Love is all we have left' i'd love to hear Bono do another Sinatra-esque number. Hopefully we'll haer it one day

Offline U2STORM

• Wanderer
  • Me 2008
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 10:21:43 PM »
just a bunch of Bono one-liners strewn together

Thats what i was trying to say but couldn't quite get there ;) I like the melody though

Offline suppers ready

• Stateless
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 11:01:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Weak lyric?  I find the lyric more interesting than most of HTDAAB.  And musically, it's more interesting than everything else on the album.  On the whole, the only tracks I think are in the same league are Vertigo, Fast Cars and SYCMIOYO.

I like other tracks on the album, but Mercy is by far better than all of them.

That said, it won't be  B-Side.  It was supposed to be a b-side in 2005, and it didn't happen.

If they put out a rarities album or they decide to rerelease HTDAAB as an extended deluxe version (for only $500.00, give or take a few hundred bucks), it might see the light of day.

I'd also add that I've played it for about a dozen non-u2 fans (ok non-diehard fans) and everyone of them liked it and asked why it wasn't on the album. 

It's not like they were hurting for space -- the album was roughly 50 minutes long.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 11:07:28 PM by suppers ready »