Author Topic: MERCY  (Read 8127 times)

Offline malcolm-edge

• Refugee
Re: MERCY
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 11:48:09 PM »
My immediate though was Moment of Surrender =  Mercy.

Now weather it is or isnt...I know Moment of Surrender will be the best song on the album. Just a hunch.

Offline ultraviolet_1

• Babyface
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 01:44:36 AM »
I hope you're right malcolm-edge. The thing about Mercy is that it had  many great musical ideas and lyrics all in one song, and it was still in the demo stages, but could have been released as  is and still would have been one the best on Bomb. I don't see how that song cannot be on Horizon or a least a B-side. Although, U2 have done it before...The Joshua Tree and Luminous Times!!

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 03:29:22 AM »
Mercy is definitely not moment of surrender, you can tell on that fez you tube clip, the melody is totally different. Shame itwon't ever see the light of day though..

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 04:47:37 AM »
 another mercy thread ? iv'e never known an unreleased song be the subject of so many threads .its not going to be on the NEW album, let it go :P !  seriously if the band were going to put a song they wrote a few years ago on a NEW album  id be worried ,especially if they were supposed to have 50/60 new songs to choose from.it might end up maybe as an extra on the next best of album.we should be happy for an album of new material,its all people have been wanting for the past couple of years now, yet people are still banging on about an old song they wrote a while ago ! LET IT GO PEOPLE :):)

Offline George

• Stateless
  • 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9; Now it's time to rhyme!
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 06:23:23 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
if the band were going to put a song they wrote a few years ago on a NEW album  id be worried

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me was written in 1993 but only released 1995.
Both If You Wear The Velvet Dress and Wake Up Dead Man were also written during the Zooropa sessions but only released on Pop.
Big Girls Are Best was done during the Pop sessions but was only released in 2001.

I say that this is enough precedent to show that U2 will revisit and release "old" songs if they want to.

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 07:14:41 AM »
if the band were going to put a song they wrote a few years ago on a NEW album  id be worried

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me was written in 1993 but only released 1995.
Both If You Wear The Velvet Dress and Wake Up Dead Man were also written during the Zooropa sessions but only released on Pop.
Big Girls Are Best was done during the Pop sessions but was only released in 2001.

I say that this is enough precedent to show that U2 will revisit and release "old" songs if they want to.
hmtmkm if i remember was for the batman soundtrack ,in your theory it would have been on pop but it wasn't, the other songs maybe were leftover from other sessions but i don't remember being able to hear them before they appeared on an album,unlike mercy which most people have heard.so what would the point be in putting an "old" song which alot of people have heard, on a new album,i just think it would be a backward step if the band are supposed to be going in a new direction >
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 07:17:30 AM by spanner »

Offline George

• Stateless
  • 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9; Now it's time to rhyme!
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 07:34:20 AM »
I think you misunderstand what I wrote.  Portions of the titles of HMTMKMKM, Wake Up, and Velvet Dress can be found, if you look carefully, at the cover of Zooropa.  They were all released later, just like Big Girls.  In fact, Wake Up Dead Man existed in some format in 1990, when the Achtung Baby tapes were  stolen (leaked?).

As for Mercy beging heard by "most" people, that just not so.  It's only the "hardcore" fans who know it.  So back to those Salome tapes I mentioned.  It was only the "hardcore" fans who had heard them, but U2 chose to release Where Did It All Go Wrong as a b-side so that all their fans could hear a sample of what was on those tapes (that's why it says "demo" next to it on the back of the single).

I don't think it's at all unreasonable to think that they may release it it some format.

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 08:00:39 AM »
I think you misunderstand what I wrote.  Portions of the titles of HMTMKMKM, Wake Up, and Velvet Dress can be found, if you look carefully, at the cover of Zooropa.  They were all released later, just like Big Girls.  In fact, Wake Up Dead Man existed in some format in 1990, when the Achtung Baby tapes were  stolen (leaked?).

As for Mercy beging heard by "most" people, that just not so.  It's only the "hardcore" fans who know it.  So back to those Salome tapes I mentioned.  It was only the "hardcore" fans who had heard them, but U2 chose to release Where Did It All Go Wrong as a b-side so that all their fans could hear a sample of what was on those tapes (that's why it says "demo" next to it on the back of the single).

I don't think it's at all unreasonable to think that they may release it it some format.
most people = most u2 fans. i would consider most people on here to be hardcore or why be on here.i didn't say it wouldn't appear. just that it would not be on a new album.it might well turn up as a b-side but it won't be on the album. as for the salome tapes,i haven't heard them ,for one reason or another i was never bothered.they might well have snippets of what turned out to be songs later on, there are examples of this  on the boy remaster where one of the songs on there is easily recognisable as fire but with different lyrics,so they do use demos. mercy is a complete finished song,why would you put it on a new album ? thats all im asking .why ? if you have delayed the album because you have so many songs why go back to mercy ? don't get me wrong i don't hate mercy but i just don't get why everybody is worrying why won't it be on the new album i just don't get it .it seems like worrying over nothing thats all.we should be just wondering what the new songs will be like,what direction they are going .
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 08:04:17 AM by spanner »

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 11:22:58 AM »
I just assumed Mercy was not nearly complete. I like the song a lot but it seemed like it needed cut down and reworked a bit in spots. I love how they can completely change a song and its direction though. I'm thinking "Always" and "Beautiful Day".

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 12:03:54 PM »
Mercy is out there now, there is no need to release it on an album. Maybe before they loaded it onto itunes but not now. If you want to hear it there is an easy route to find it and if you are a U2 fan you will find it, as it's essential to hear this track , easily one of the best songs the band have done.

Offline ultraviolet_1

• Babyface
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 12:59:13 PM »
Spanner, I think there are many reasons why U2 fans are curious about this one song. One, that it is an amazing track, and the other for me is that Bono himself said the Mercy was going to be on the next album. So I guess we are all wondering what happend to it . As far as the new songs go I can't wait to hear them all, Mercy or not!

Offline irishru2

• Babyface
  • That's someone's stuff they're blowing up...
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2009, 01:13:45 PM »
How does one acquire Mercy legally without buying the entire U2 collection on iTunes?

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2009, 01:14:36 PM »
On youtube (I think  :P)

Boom Cha!

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2009, 01:19:44 PM »
Q: What is U2's most overrated song?
A: Mercy

It's an OK song at the most. I do think it has a lot of potential if it was actually finished and reworked. Plus, the audio is pretty poor quality.

I'm sure there's a diamond in there somewhere. But, right now it's just coal.  ;D

Revolver7

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2009, 01:42:10 PM »
Maybe U2 didn't want to release Mercy because they thought it would be confused with Duffy's song "Mercy".... :P