Author Topic: MERCY  (Read 8147 times)

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
Re: MERCY
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2009, 01:48:28 PM »
It's a very good song, but unfortunately the sound quality on it is terrible atm. I think it should be re-worked, re-recorded and released on the surely inevitable Best of 2000-2010 album as a bonus track. The fans would enjoy that (bar a few).

It was actually a farce imho that there was no space for it on Bomb, when Crumbs, ABOY, Man & a Woman all found a slot. All solid album tracks, but Mercy would have been better than all of them.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 01:52:38 PM by DGordon1 »

Offline Swan269

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • I will sing a new song
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2009, 02:27:46 PM »
i think people want it released so there is a chance of them playing it live.

Offline Swan269

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • I will sing a new song
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2009, 02:29:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
How does one acquire Mercy legally without buying the entire U2 collection on iTunes?

not in the itunes collection

Offline Swan269

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • I will sing a new song
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2009, 02:31:21 PM »
Spanner, I think there are many reasons why U2 fans are curious about this one song. One, that it is an amazing track, and the other for me is that Bono himself said the Mercy was going to be on the next album. So I guess we are all wondering what happend to it . As far as the new songs go I can't wait to hear them all, Mercy or not!

don't forget that the song title and lyrics are written all over the 'bomb' book.

Offline Reg

• Babyface
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2009, 04:39:09 PM »
In the internet era would be just disingenuous to release this on NLOTH. Its been available for 5 years. Personally think it was the best thing from the HTDAAB sessions. Now too fussed about tweaking at the edges when the song is so strong, Bono's vocal powerformance is so emotionally charged. I feaaaaaaaar nothing, feaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar. Love it.

Offline U2STORM

• Wanderer
  • Me 2008
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2009, 07:47:53 PM »
It's an OK song at the most. I do think it has a lot of potential if it was actually finished and reworked. Plus, the audio is pretty poor quality. I'm sure there's a diamond in there somewhere. But, right now it's just coal. 

I think Boom cha nailed it and kicked everyone's ass with this quote. Mercy was written for Atomic Bomb and for some reason bono didn't believe it was worthy probably for the same reason i don't. Because its just a bunch of lines and themes that are used in many other u2 songs mashed together into one song with a brilliant melody. It would definitely need some reworking, but has or had, lots of potential. Why they didn't release it as a B-Side, remains a mystery.

Perhaps they changed it up for a song on NLOTH, or used parts of it for multiple tracks....who knows...and honestly i don't care Lol to put it blatantly. I want to hear new material on the new album, not an old song i can easily find on youtube... 

Offline evel12314

• Elevated
  • Squeeze out sparks of light.
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2009, 08:05:28 PM »
I am not exaggerating when I say I think Mercy is perfect in every way as it is. This is a song that could probably save the world...but maybe it's best that that level of awesome is kept a secret for now.

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2009, 08:41:04 PM »
for some reason bono didn't believe it was worthy probably for the same reason i don't. Because its just a bunch of lines and themes that are used in many other u2 songs mashed together into one song with a brilliant melody.

Actually, I think it was explained in MOJO magazine back then, or maybe BLENDER, that they all loved the song, but Larry voted it off the album because he thought the album would be too long.

Offline brrrger

• Wanderer
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2009, 09:13:40 PM »
for some reason bono didn't believe it was worthy probably for the same reason i don't. Because its just a bunch of lines and themes that are used in many other u2 songs mashed together into one song with a brilliant melody.

Actually, I think it was explained in MOJO magazine back then, or maybe BLENDER, that they all loved the song, but Larry voted it off the album because he thought the album would be too long.

What a terrible idea that was-they could have left off "Original Of The Species" instead.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2009, 06:54:45 AM »
It's an OK song at the most. I do think it has a lot of potential if it was actually finished and reworked. Plus, the audio is pretty poor quality. I'm sure there's a diamond in there somewhere. But, right now it's just coal. 

I think Boom cha nailed it and kicked everyone's ass with this quote.

i don't think so!

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Rock and roll doggie!!!
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2009, 09:26:04 AM »
I do!

Offline Swan269

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • I will sing a new song
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2009, 12:08:02 PM »

hey matt!

I think you are right but I don't know if Larry was said to have voted Mercy off or the album was too long...I think it was the latter---the magazine was blender...

Offline Swan269

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • I will sing a new song
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2009, 12:29:47 PM »
yeah matt you were right....i found the blurb

The problem, if it can be called that, lies in the album’s running order. After numerous attempts, U2 have yet to find a satisfactory flow, leading them to believe that there may be too many songs. So, right now, they must decide which tunes should be sacrificed.

As it stands, the album is three seconds shy of an hour and, as Bono says, “too much of a good thing is a bad thing,” so drastic measures need to be taken.

“I have a theory,” Mullen begins, and a reverential silence descends as the drummer — traditionally the first band member to be shouted down in these situations — becomes what Bono immediately anoints “the best B-side you’ve ever heard.”

Revolver7

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2009, 01:50:21 PM »
I think Mercy would have been a great closing track...I love Yahweh, but I think it would've done well elsewhere too

Offline TeddyTV

• Babyface
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2009, 04:31:42 PM »
How does one acquire Mercy legally without buying the entire U2 collection on iTunes?

not in the itunes collection

Right... so like they said, is there a way to acquire the song?