Author Topic: I'LL go Crazy if i dont go crazy tonight.  (Read 2079 times)

Offline u2boots4ever

• Babyface
  • u2 croke park 25th july
I'LL go Crazy if i dont go crazy tonight.
« on: August 17, 2009, 06:04:03 AM »
Did they play a slow version of crazy at wembly with larry walking around with big bongo drum.They did this at all 3 Dublin gigs,I prefer the up tempo like on the albulm,just hope they play they original song this weekend in cardiff...............ITS NOT A HILL ITS A MOUNTAIN.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 06:07:12 AM by u2boots4ever »

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
Re: I'LL go Crazy if i dont go crazy tonight.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 06:09:31 AM »
Slow version? Eh? You mean the more up tempo disco version. And yes they did play the disco/dance version and believe me, you have to be there to enjoy it ;)

Wembley went crazy for it - everyone was bopping, dancing and screaming to it.

By the way, add "Spoiler" to the thread title name because it might infuriate members who want to avoid set lists songs.

Offline reventhon

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 09:48:44 AM »
Yes
Larry went walkabout with his bongo but it wasn't slow. What an amazing remix though, Loved the graphics on the screens.

Offline kevc

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 01:12:51 PM »
How good would it be to finish with the album version after moment of surrender, awesome

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 01:25:02 PM »
If that version is slow, The Ramones are RNB.

Best closing song for the tour would be Cedars Of Lebanon.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 03:23:07 PM »
Crazy Tonight is a highlight of the show, superb ! The energy is off the scale. They have only played the priginal version once at Barcelona, just for filming the video and that was after already playing the disco version.
MOS is one of the best closers of any tour. Cedars would be good on the PA as everyone is leaving the show though, like Grace was on Elevation.

Offline ninja306

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 05:42:49 PM »
The remix was an embarrassment to be honest.

It's a decent enough song in its own right, a remix isn't a bad idea but then it's place is a nightclub and not a 90000 rock concert. It didn't sound right played in that arena, and the band just didn't look good performing it.

However, U2 are so supreme in what they do overall that they can afford to go off the beaten track, and try different stuff.... there is a certain coolness that they have, where they can try things out and see what happens. But that was wrong in so many ways. To be fair though, I did like the moody "heads" video that accompanied it, and I did like the way they had all four band members orbiting the stage, although only Larry managed to look natural doing it.

I had to sit at the back of the stadium on Friday, but it allowed me to watch how the whole of the crowd reacted to the music. Apart from those in the crescent by the stage (the heart, target or whatever it's called on this tour) the rest of the audience generally stood pretty still (or sat down in the stands) for all of the new stuff - the exception being Moment of Surrender when Bono instructed us to get our lighters out  ;D But there was little life in the crowd for the first four or five songs, all off No Line, until they hit Beautiful Day.

They're still the best band in the world by my opinion, and No Line is still a reasonably good album. But it pales badly compared to the classics of Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree, and even ATYCLB and HTDAAB. The singles are not as good either recorded or live, and need to be played better live, and in the right places (Breathe as an opener?  ::) ) To me, the Crazy remix was the lowest point of the most disappointing U2 concert I have been to in my 20 years a fan. It was still a decent show.... but I've seen them do five much, much better.

Offline southsy

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 07:31:44 PM »
This was my one disappointment of the Wembley shows. I'll Go Crazy is such a great song in its own right, one of the best on the new album. They should have "remixed" some older song that needed reinventing, not one that hasn't created its own life on tour. Swing and a miss. The ONLY one.

Offline ninja306

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 02:59:31 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This was my one disappointment of the Wembley shows. I'll Go Crazy is such a great song in its own right, one of the best on the new album. They should have "remixed" some older song that needed reinventing, not one that hasn't created its own life on tour. Swing and a miss. The ONLY one.

Crazy has really grown on me, perhaps more so than any other song on the album. Maybe this has been helped by the "cartoon" video, which I really loved - kind of made sense of the song a little bit! So I too was a bit disappointed in them not playing the regular version.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 09:25:12 AM »
Te remix to me is the best and worst part of the show.  They are showing real balls playing that version which I think U2 has been lacking as a band for a while, but its a stab in the heart to those of us who would like the band to acknowledge that they did make an album in 1997.  Half the POP album would work better.  its awkwardly placed in the set and might work better as the first song of the encore and not a lead in to SBS.

as for the album version, i can't believe people like it.  the first part wants so badly to be a Journey song and the rest is just an attempt to make a commercial friendly hit.  to be this one and Magnificent are whats holding back No Line from being a classic.  You add Winter there and one other and this is a monumental achievement by U2.