Author Topic: "How does Blackberry feel about U2?"  (Read 4968 times)

Offline SaintMike

• Refugee
  • Sponsored by Blackberry!
"How does Blackberry feel about U2?"
« on: August 20, 2009, 08:40:23 AM »
I was horrified at the Wembley show to see U2's Blackberry ad silently looping on the Wembley jumbotrons during Elbow's set as well as during the break between Elbow and U2.  WTF?  U2 have reached heights previously thought unattainable.

Also - if there was any doubt as to how hard U2 actually has sold their souls out, the 3,000 "BLACKBERRY LOVES U2" banners and placards strung between Wembley Park station and the entrance to the station left no doubt.  We're already going to the concert, idiots.  We don't need to be beaten across the head with it.

As I picked up my tickets last Friday morning from the box office I sarcastically asked a U2 roadie "say how does Blackberry feel about U2?  Do they like U2?".  The roadie scoffed and said "well I f***** hate U2" and went back to assembling his "BLACKBERRY LOVES U2" sign.

I enjoyed the concert, it was great.  But U2 is pretty lame with their money grubbing.  They might as well let Coca Cola and McDonalds use their songs in normal commercials at this point.  The money they're getting from Blackberry is no "cleaner".  Apple was tolerable - this Blackberry nonsense makes me want to vomit.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 08:44:16 AM by SaintMike »

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
Re: "How does Blackberry feel about U2?"
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 08:41:51 AM »
Do you complain about absolutely everything?

Offline SaintMike

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 08:43:40 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Do you complain about absolutely everything?

No.  I haven't really even weighed in yet on the ridiculous masks during "Walk On".  Corniest thing I've ever seen at a concert.  And that's saying something, because I had to go to Celine Dion with the girlfriend earlier this year.

I think I'm going to make an "APPLE LOVES COLDPLAY" banner to hold in Bono's face at the concert in Atlanta.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 08:45:30 AM »
Business is business. For all I know, no-one cared about the dozens of Blackberry signs - they were more focused on the show rather than complaining about sponsorship deals.

Offline SaintMike

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 08:49:10 AM »
Business is business. For all I know, no-one cared about the dozens of Blackberry signs - they were more focused on the show rather than complaining about sponsorship deals.

Dozens?  LOL.  And obviously somebody cares.  I just started the thread.

No other band has whored themselves or a tour to this degree.  Not even Aerosmith.  It's horrible. 

Bono would like to say something vitally important about deposed leader Aung San Su Kyi, but first..... a word from U2's corporate sponsor.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 08:53:46 AM »

No other band has whored themselves or a tour to this degree.  Not even Aerosmith.  It's horrible. 

Bono would like to say something vitally important about deposed leader Aung San Su Kyi, but first..... a word from U2's corporate sponsor.

Well you did say the numbers on your first post  ::)

You are too focused on this whole Blackberry thing - like it has gotten in the way of the concert. Well without the sponsor we wouldn't have the show.

And what an earth is wrong with Blackberry - sure complain all you want if they are sponsored by Baked Beans. In fact, no-one in this Forum has complained this much about this.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 08:54:46 AM »
Ummm... who cares? At all? I certainly don't care one way or the other if it says "Blackberry loves U2" or doesn't, how could that possibly impact the quality of the music which, after all, is what we're going to see...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 09:52:02 AM by The Unknown Caller [Kitty Kat Kommando] »

Offline SaintMike

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 08:57:39 AM »
I never used the word "dozens" in regards to the amount of "BLACKBERRY LOVES U2" signs.  There were thousands.  

And to say that this show wouldn't be happening without Blackberry is preposterous.  U2's last 5 major tours went on without such blatant whoring.  It's all about their money.  Same as why they betrayed Ireland to find a more economically friendly tax shelter.  

I don't even have a problem with any of that so long as they stay out of politics.  You can't rail against conservative politicians and call Tony Blair the "devil" if you're going to avoid paying your share of taxes and then pimp one of the most invaluable tools of the corporate world to paying customers and fans who only want to hear your music.

If you guys honestly can't grasp that then I can't help you.  I know thousands of U2 fans are disappointed at this turn.  Personally, I hadn't realized how blatant U2's whoring was until I attended my first 360 show last week.  I didn't know they inundated fans with the signs and commercials both outside the stadium and in.  Disgusting.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 08:59:36 AM by SaintMike »

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 09:03:30 AM »
I never used the word "dozens" in regards to the amount of "BLACKBERRY LOVES U2" signs.  There were thousands.  

And to say that this show wouldn't be happening without Blackberry is preposterous.  U2's last 5 major tours went on without such blatant whoring.  It's all about their money.  Same as why they betrayed Ireland to find a more economically friendly tax shelter.  

I don't even have a problem with any of that so long as they stay out of politics.  You can't rail against conservative politicians and call Tony Blair the "devil" if you're going to avoid paying your share of taxes and then pimp one of the most invaluable tools of the corporate world to paying customers and fans who only want to hear your music.

If you guys honestly can't grasp that then I can't help you.  I know thousands of U2 fans are disappointed at this turn.  Personally, I hadn't realized how blatant U2's whoring was until I attended my first 360 show last week.  I didn't know they inundated fans with the signs and commercials both outside the stadium and in.  Disgusting.

Well we are more interested in enjoying ourselves rather than counting the number of adverts seen. Sorry we can't grasp it.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 09:28:31 AM »

Same as why they betrayed Ireland to find a more economically friendly tax shelter.

And we all feel so very, very betrayed over here, oh yes. That's why we showed our sense of betrayal by buying 240,000 tickets to see them and then producing the fourth largest gross for a band's stint in one venue ever.

That'll teach 'em!

know thousands of U2 fans are disappointed at this turn. 

Well, given that over a million will have seen them soon enough, I'm sure they're heartbroken over the loss of two or three thousand.

Even if I'm guessing that number's a few thousand higher than the actual number....

Offline luckado

• Wanderer
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 09:40:08 AM »
I know thousands of U2 fans are disappointed at this turn. 

Yes, I'm sure you "know thousands of U2 fans"   ...way to over exaggerate...

Or if you are pulling from some article or source of information where literally "thousands" of U2 fans are voicing their "disappointment," care to give us a link or source?

Come on, give us a break.  If you are this upset about the advertising, then sell your tickets and leave this forum.  Your whining here is not going to make a bit of difference to anyone.

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 09:55:37 AM »
Hey "SaintMike"....why don't you focus all your "energy" on something that actually makes you happy, instead of something that obviously makes you (and in turn, lots of us) miserable?

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 09:58:02 AM »
Because being happy is against the law of  concerts ::)

I find it sort of funny he invested so much money into slamming U2 business.

Offline dolfos

• Babyface
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 10:00:22 AM »
I went to the gig last Friday and I also walked up Wembley way, and I did'nt notice any banners. I was on the floor from mid way through The Hours last song onwards, I did'nt notice the adverts on the big screen either. Im sure they were all there as you say, I'm not doubting that for a minute but the reason I 'did'nt notice is probably due to the fact I went for a good time with my mates to have a few pints and go nuts when Elbow and U2 performed, which is exactly what I did. If me and my mates had all rode up Wembley Way on our high horses and sneered at everything that we saw then our evening, experience and genaral outlook on life would most likely be the exact same as yours.
"Take this mouth, so quick to criticise, take this mouth, give it a kiss".
If you were so bothered about Blackberry, why did'nt you stroll down Harrow Rd with your ticket and sell it in one of the pubs?

Offline Magnificent

• Wanderer
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 11:38:15 AM »
I wasn't happy with Balckberry sponsoring the tour and it does feel they have sold out a little, but with the threat of going bankrupt on a daily basis with the last huge tour (PopMart) and the cost of putting on this I can see why they have done it. There was no guarantee when Blackberry 1st came on board that they would sell as many tickets as they did and with us being in the middle of a recession you can see why they accepted the cash from Blackberry as a safety net.

You never know it might have been the money from Blackberry that made it possible for the 30 tickets.....