Author Topic: "How does Blackberry feel about U2?"  (Read 4967 times)

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
Re: "How does Blackberry feel about U2?"
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 12:06:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I wasn't happy with Balckberry sponsoring the tour and it does feel they have sold out a little, but with the threat of going bankrupt on a daily basis with the last huge tour (PopMart) and the cost of putting on this I can see why they have done it. There was no guarantee when Blackberry 1st came on board that they would sell as many tickets as they did and with us being in the middle of a recession you can see why they accepted the cash from Blackberry as a safety net.

You never know it might have been the money from Blackberry that made it possible for the 30 tickets.....

I see both sides of this, but U2 always talked about not using corporate sponsors.  makes me question why they needed to put on a spectacle like this during this economy anyway.  i think the answer is simple, they wanted to tour for a shorter time and play less shows = stadium shows.  so in undertaking this kind of tour they realized they need some financial backing.

Offline luckado

• Wanderer
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 02:25:37 PM »
Personally, when I started to add up the costs of a tour like this in my mind, I was not surprised or upset at all when I found out about the Blackberry sponsorship.
Think about the manpower, the trucks (not to mention all the fuel it takes to move those trucks), the stadiums, maintenance, etc. (and that's just the claw).  The list goes on and on. 
I would rather have some advertising than a higher ticket price, IMHO.  Just my two cents worth.

Offline evilways811

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 03:04:38 PM »
Hey "SaintMike"....why don't you focus all your "energy" on something that actually makes you happy, instead of something that obviously makes you (and in turn, lots of us) miserable?

That's the point with most Debbie Downers on internet forums. Don't enjoy, but also don't let anyone else enjoy as well. And they'll drag their point across until it's dead like a beat up horse.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 03:08:30 PM »
Do you complain about absolutely everything?

YES!!!!   :D :D :D :D :D!  Come on now SaintMike-we go back a long way! You know you do  ;)  Does your girlfriend tolerate your negativity?   ;D   LOL!            (All in good fun!). SG

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 03:09:34 PM »
I think this thread needs a happy hour or something - it is ruining this evenings concert.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 03:10:26 PM »
I think this thread needs a happy hour or something - it is ruining this evenings concert.

SG is sending a round of drinks to all of the forum members online now who are of  drinking age!!!  Enjoy!!! :D

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 04:20:54 PM »
Oh how I'd love it if life was so simple and boring that I could even give a crap about the U2/Blackberry connection.

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 06:09:29 PM »

SG is sending a round of drinks to all of the forum members online now who are of  drinking age!!!  Enjoy!!! :D

Thanks Strong Girl! Yum! Hic!

When I saw Madonna last year SHE was sponsored by Blackberry. In fact the AT&T kiosk in my local mall still has her advert up. Do I like her less because of it? Nope. Didn't help with her ticket prices though.

My daughter lives in another town full of cretins people who've never heard of U2. She wasn't even a fan. Now, however, she points to the Blackberry ad on tv and proudly crows that "I'm going to see them!" So this ad campaign has had a personal benefit!

Birdlover

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 07:42:30 PM »
makes me question why they needed to put on a spectacle like this during this economy anyway. 

because the FUTURE NEEDS A BIG KISS!!!

Offline Rob of the leads york

• Wanderer
  • i'll light your way if you light mine!
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 03:27:53 PM »
im more horrified someones taken time out of their life to start a thread on such a ridiculous subject! who cares? i mean...really?....i for one think its great that the band have taken on such a big tour in the current climate when everyone needs cheering  up, what better way than to see U2, on a huge stage with 40-50,000 other fans!...seriously if its that disgusting whats the point in buying a ticket when theres people that want to see the band but can't for whatever reason?

Offline dangerous and honest

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside its a car park! Outside its a car park!
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 04:07:49 PM »
I've certainly noticed the adverts at the shows I've been to. Frankly, it would be much more difficult not to notice them! (which, I guess, is the whole point!)

Question is - how much does it bother you as an individual?

I can understand how it might leave a really bad taste for some people. Opinions can be strong on this issue.  I'd prefer U2 not to go the sponsorship route and I have to admit to a tinge of disappointment when I saw all the ads and Blackberry stands.

But it certainly doesn't disgust me. Just a slightly saddening direction for U2, but also a reflection of the arts/ entertainment industry at large. Once you get past this reality though, you are left with the superb music and awesome spectacle that is the 360 tour. So if Blackberry does makes the difference between this particular tour going ahead or not, then the sponsorship has actually being a bit of a blessing in disguise for me. My summer would have been far less thrilling without their contribution!

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 05:39:34 PM »
I'm tempted to start a "How do you feel about Saint Mike" thread, but I shall refrain.