Author Topic: Tips for North American tour  (Read 3388 times)

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
Re: Tips for North American tour
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2009, 04:22:56 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Being that we are a bit pickier than Europe, Pasadena especially, I think it would be in U2's best interests to make a few tweaks to their set list and overall show.

1. Remove Get On Your Boots, otherwise I can ensure you the crowd will be stagnant, when in an alternate universe Boots is supposed to be a dance song.
2. Stop doing the Aung San Suu Chi tribute; it's a great sentiment, but ultimately it wont bode well with the American audience. You acknowledge her, but completely disregard the masks.
3. Oh yeah, please, please don't play the Crazy techno version, Americans are adept at sniffing out contrivances.

That's basically it, the obvious stuff.

Wow, as someone who grew up in the heartland of America, I was almost offended by this. "Picker" than Europe? I don't think that is true at all. A tad more cynical maybe, but certainly not pickier.

As for "Boots," I would rather they did NOT drop one of my favorite songs from the new album, and one of the few uptempo songs of the set.

I think the folks here in the US will react to the Aung San Suu Chi tribute about the same way the European concertgoers did. Tepid. Bono has been so freakishly limited on his preaching this tour, the least we all could to do is take come time to take in this message.
I may agree with you in theory on Crazy, only because the original version does seem to have a small amount of popularity in the US, so it might be good to promote it with the original version. However, by almost all accounts, this remix is one of the highlights of the show and one of the points where the stage really comes alive. If I can't have my Discoteque (can we not have ANYTHING for Pop? Really?) then at least let me have the funky version of "Crazy"

Offline achtung jeff

• Wanderer
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2009, 08:46:50 AM »
Forgive the long post. I think it's worth the read if you're GA...

I had the distinct fortune of attending Chi 1 and Chi 2. Each was great. I tried NOT to watch too much show stuff so that I'd be surprised. Well, I was.

Back to tips:
GA - since I did GA both shows, here's my take: We found the day before "unofficial line" group. We were 86-92.  Soldier Field absolutely, no way were going to let a group spend the night on their property (however I think GA Joe hid in the bushes). So we hung around till 9:30 at service entrance hoping to see the boys but they did an entire show rehearsal so we chose to leave instead of stay (they left around 11:30 and apparently DID get out and sign for the few hard-core fans left) . So we were back in line at 5:30am (official start 6:00). We were a mix of unofficial line people and people who didn't know/find the unofficial line. Coincidentally we were 89-96 according to this line.

Soldier Field staff was NOT prepared for soo many people soo early. the roped off area was too wide and didn't allow for any semblance of sequential line up. The first 200 people were packed in a 30ft x 50ft tunnel. It was uber-cramped. People farther back in line had the major luxury of being spread out... but I guess that's the curse/blessing of being soo far in front. Come entry time, they let groups of a few hundred in at a time. Since I was in the first group I don't know how subsequent groups fared but the first one was a cluster-(you-know-what). We hit the turnstyles soo fast, many of us didn't even get our tix scanned - it was pretty much a bum-rush. Once through the turnstyles, we ran to the field entry tunnel. There were maybe 6 staff there who then proceeded to punch our tix and wrist-band us. The operative number is 6. There were 6 people trying to punch tix and wrist band 200 people on an adrenaline rush. It was bad-bad-bad. Upon realizing the beast that had been unleashed, about 5 more staff came back to help band us. There were no queues, no barriers, no turnstyles. A few of their big guys got into the crowd and yelled out for people to move back (no bull horn or PA announcement, he just yelled). That took off maybe 2% of the pressure. Once we were through that fiasco, things were fine.

We made our controlled-walk-run dash to our spots. We got inside the circle and squatted our spot with our backs against circle rail dead-center. I had two friends who couldn't get to town and in line until 12:30. Even though there were at LEAST 750 people behind us, they managed to get within 10 feet of us along Adam's side. The field is huge, the circle is huge and so that means even if you're 1000th person in line, you're gonna get a pretty darn good spot on the ground. While we didn't leave the circle, people who did were banded again so that they could re-enter. It was packed but not too packed come show time (more people than inside heart from past shows but NOT as packed as OUTSIDE the circle).

The posts about the stage being higher than past arena shows are correct. I'd guess it to be 7 - 8 ft high. Friends who were along rail next to Edge couldn't really see the screen at all. They pretty much just saw Edge. The rails are about 6 ft from the stage so you're not right up against it. Also - you will have your heads cocked back for the whole show. They all had neck aches and said they even had to hold the back of their heads a few times they got so stiff. Unless you're tall or REALLY like Edge, Bono or Adam, I'd recommend not being up against it. Since we were at the inside center tip of the circle, we could see the screen pretty well and could always see everybody (other than the songs they played on back stage) and when they walked around the circle, you just had to turn around and you had a front row seat to catch the boys strolling by. If you're inside the circle, I would highly recommend that spot - esp if you're not too tall.

Next: tickets - We ended up having a pair of extra tix that we tried to sell. However, there were a glut of tix out there and if you didn't find a buyer before the stubhub-type sites' deadlines, you were gonna have a little trouble. Since there were 2 Chi shows (therefore 130,000 tix) it was totally a buyers' market. Since I was in GA line, I was limited as to where I could find buyers on-site and I actually ended up EATING my 2 tickets. I totally didn't see THAT coming - usnold U2 tix for North American tour opener???  They were located at about 10 o'clock (if Larry was 12 o'clock and Bono was 6 o'clock on the stage). Early buyers prolly thought these would be bad tix but after being at the show, i can say that they would have been great tix - good vantage point to see everything.

The next night I felt so sick about eating $225 of tix, I sold my pair (again well-well under face value) to try to recoup my losses - hey, I'm a married guy with kids $225 is not chump change. Dejected that I wasn't going to see the show, I decided to take advantage of this buyers' market. My brother had a smart phone so we hit Craigslist and replied to all the posts of people desparately trying to unload unused tix (like me). We held out until after Snow Patrol took the stage and ended up buying 2 GA tix for $25 apiece. A short walk downtown and back and we had our tix. I didn't feel bad about it because I would have GLADLY taken $25 for my tix the day before. In the GA line just one day before people talked about how they paid $250 - $300 for their GA. I got mine for $25 and stood right next to the sound booth for an entirely different perspective of the show, got to talk to Willie AND got my pic taken with Joe.

The moral here? You don't have to be 1st in GA for a great spot, consider the size of the stage when choosing your spot on the ground, there are NO bad tickets in the entire stadium, and if you have to sell your tix, sell early and don't be greedy. If you're a buyer, you've got a good chance to get great, affordable tix if you are willing to wait it out and work it.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 08:54:27 AM »
Jeff - thanks for a brilliant post mate. A great read.

People in my experience get so hung up about being 'front and centre' on the rail...

There's a heap of great spots in GA at any show, and in my opinion with a huge high stage, front and centre isn't one of the best!

Great stuff.

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009, 12:45:53 PM »
Americans are adept at sniffing out contrivances.

More so than the rest of the world? Really?

Allow me to argue my point. Europeans are shameless, and are willing to accept anything despite its embarrassing amplitude, as one can infer whilst witnessing the lederhosen. However, America gave us George Clooney, the epitome of cool, even Bono knows that. If George Clooney doesn't think Crazy is cool, which I know he doesn't, then there's no debate.
personally i couldn't give a f**k what george clooney thinks,how many albums has he sold anyway ? but if you want to take his opinion on crazy then you go right ahead.the remix version is a bit of fun for the band just a chance for them all to get out into the crowd and enjoy themselves !!! thats a british/european perspective on things :P

Offline judas1

• Babyface
  • Just had Bono sign this in NY 3/3 album release
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2009, 08:18:10 AM »
I agree with Polyester Shirt on #2 and #3, saw them in Zagreb and those final 2 just didn't fly at all.