Poll

Favorite live performance of Where The Streets Have No Name?

Joshua Tree - the original
5 (10.2%)
Rattle and Hum - still pretty original
2 (4.1%)
ZOO TV after RTSS - yes Bono still remembers the Joshua Tree
8 (16.3%)
Pop Mart after please-the techno like version... playboy mansion style
3 (6.1%)
Elevation All I want is.... the organ to start... or bad...
28 (57.1%)
Vertigo - oh-oh-oh-oh (pride)
0 (0%)
U2 360 You'll never walk alone...
3 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Best Where The Streets Have No Name?  (Read 1599 times)

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
Best Where The Streets Have No Name?
« on: September 09, 2009, 12:21:55 AM »
Well it's not my fav all the time to listen to it, but actually in person if i had to relive one streets performance, it's pop mart. Which is where i came on board anyway. Oh yeah, should i have put spoiler? I don't know, if the fans don't realize they're gonna play streets maybe we need to rethink things about this forum, :-).

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
Re: Best Where The Streets Have No Name?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 10:54:57 AM »
What will you spoil next!? I truly expected only songs from Passengers, AB and NLOTH...not cool bro!!

This marks the end of today's sarcastic rant...

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 11:06:34 AM »
I just listened to the Popmart Mexico City show yesterday, and Bono failed to hit a single note of WTSHNN. Apalling.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 11:28:44 AM »
This is what I urge those who say Bono's voice is shot to listen to. His voice actually WAS shot on Popmart. He still had the Falsetto however, which was a bloody good thing.

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
  • It's your world. You can change it.
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 06:46:47 PM »
To piggyback off of and segue from other responses, I will say that the full-throated "youuuuu" that comes at the end of All I Want is You leading into Streets is what makes it my favorite of the choices here.  Somehow my iPod, even when set on shuffle, knows to play those two tracks back to back.  I think that transition is magic.  Great poll!  :)

Offline Achtung_Habs

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In the name of Love
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 07:41:59 PM »
It's maybe weird, but I actually love the current 360 tour version, with the long organ intro just like Joshua Tree, and the emotional You'll never walk alone.  Subtle, but amazingly brillant IMO

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 08:08:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's maybe weird, but I actually love the current 360 tour version, with the long organ intro just like Joshua Tree, and the emotional You'll never walk alone.  Subtle, but amazingly brillant IMO

Thats actually what i was listening to when i made the poll, and i think it's magnificent, i won't spoil the set list, but the 2 songs that build up to it also make it great, but i haven't seen it live yet so i can't pick that one... yet.

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 08:42:21 PM »

Thats actually what i was listening to when i made the poll, and i think it's magnificent, i won't spoil the set list, but the 2 songs that build up to it also make it great, but i haven't seen it live yet so i can't pick that one... yet.

Glad you finally learned your lesson spoiler!!  ;)

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 11:52:55 PM »
LOL i did, i'm trying not to post anymore spoilers, but the performance of every passengers song was magnificent. They didnt play anything from Achtung or the Joshua tree the last show.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 10:01:50 AM »
The 360 one is excellent, though it benefits a LOT MORE from moving the.... thing before it to before the song that it is now in front of, if that makes any sense. :P THat killed the momentum before. Elevation is magic, PopMart incredible... but I have to give it to Zoo TV. Just... astonishing, blows my mind every time, so beautiful!

Offline Darkstar

• Refugee
  • Shall we go, you and I while we can?
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 03:52:41 PM »
None of the above.

Easily the best most emotional Streets is the one at the Super Bowl Halftime performance, what, 4 months after 9/11? All those names of the dead scrolling up, then finally collapsing? I was in a room full of anti-u2 football fans and the room was speechless, and some were crying.

That moment finally allowed a nation torn apart by stupendous mind-numbing grief, to begin to heal.

My favorite U2 moment ever, their greatest moment, the perfect example of why they are the greatest musical act of this generation.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 06:03:08 PM by Darkstar »

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 08:15:40 PM »
None of the above.

Easily the best most emotional Streets is the one at the Super Bowl Halftime performance, what, 4 months after 9/11? All those names of the dead scrolling up, then finally collapsing? I was in a room full of anti-u2 football fans and the room was speechless, and some were crying.

That moment finally allowed a nation torn apart by stupendous mind-numbing grief, to begin to heal.

My favorite U2 moment ever, their greatest moment, the perfect example of why they are the greatest musical act of this generation.

I agree with this, but I think he was after a more general idea...which style was best. Because the Super Bowl was the same style...U2 just managed to come through BIG for the world's biggest stage.

Offline Darkstar

• Refugee
  • Shall we go, you and I while we can?
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 08:52:50 PM »
None of the above.

I agree with this, but I think he was after a more general idea...which style was best. Because the Super Bowl was the same style...U2 just managed to come through BIG for the world's biggest stage.

True, and maybe I took the title of the thread too literally, but for me there is just no comparison. Streets is by far my favorite U2 song, and I'd love to vote for TJT tour opener of it, or even the album opener, but again for me that is the 'Best Where The Streets Have No Name'.

It's the moment the song was written for and it's always what I'll think of now when I hear Streets even over my JT tour opener at the Coliseum when the Olympic Torch was lit during it. That moment at the Super Bowl was just...special.

But using the parameters set by the OP, I'd have to say the album version.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 09:02:43 PM by Darkstar »

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 09:16:42 PM »
Its interesting how this song seems to be shaped by the songs around it, or what the boys do during the performance...it hasn't gone through so many different versions like some other warhorse songs, SBS being the first to come to mind for me.