Author Topic: 3rd Leg Indoor Tour...America  (Read 3465 times)

Offline u2boy11

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Miss Holiday Golightly, Traveling.
3rd Leg Indoor Tour...America
« on: September 09, 2009, 09:42:16 AM »
So...I work at a concert place [Qwest Center...I'm pretty high up] in Omaha, NE. And guess who is tentatively scheduled for a spring show? U2.

Yes. I contacted U2's tour manager and he said they were trying to work-out a way to scale down the stage...and if so will be going on an indoor tour in U.S. next spring. So for now this is just a "rumor" but the man told me they were 94% sure it was going to happen. I also asked if they'd be going on a world tour.

It looks like they want to drop their "new" album around next spring and hit up the rest of the world next summer.

Wow. Busy year for the boys? Let's hope so.

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
Re: 3rd Leg Indoor Tour...America
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 09:48:44 AM »
Wow, that's interesting news.  Would they consider a combination of indoor and outdoor shows, sort of like the JT tour or the tours where they have gone indoor in the US and outdoor elsewhere?  Do you have any sense on that?  Would it all get scaled back to the more intimate setting that SOA may require?

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 10:22:54 AM »
Could you imagine a smaller claw in the center of an arena that would be truly 360 degrees (not the current 270 or whatever).  I think it might work....except for the claws would block a lot of seats.  They could also just use the expandable screen at the end of the arena and still hang most of the gear. 

It seems to me this was more about their goal to create intimacy with a crowd of 50,000 + and not so much about making some sort of statement that was more obvious during ZooTV and PoPMart.  I really prefer those types of attempts although the minimalist approaches to Joshua Tree and Elevation Tours were appropriate.

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 10:35:28 AM »
It makes sense from a sales perspective too...sure plenty of us will fork over more dough for tickets, but not in the numbers another stadium tour leg would need to sell out. Especially a year after a tour when we are used to waiting longer.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 10:39:48 AM »
why? I'm convinced that if they do an outdoors tour then an indoors tour the perception will be they are on the slide - why not just play cities missed out on the first US leg?

Or... they could be playing IN and OUTdoor shows with different setlists. That would work nicely.

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 10:49:20 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
why? I'm convinced that if they do an outdoors tour then an indoors tour the perception will be they are on the slide - why not just play cities missed out on the first US leg?

Or... they could be playing IN and OUTdoor shows with different setlists. That would work nicely.

Not as much as stadiums at 80 or 90% capacity would make them look like they are on a slide. But you're right about the indoor and outdoor stuff. I don't expect different setlists, but you'll sell out stadiums for multiple nights in Chicago, Boston, NYC, etc...and arenas in smaller cities might be a good balance.

Offline u290sbaby

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 12:08:19 PM »
This doesn't make sense. There must be some flawed information regarding that upcoming 2010 U2 gig. I mean, the whole idea of "The Claw" is for outdoor use. An indoor show would simply not require a claw with legs since everything can be hung from the cealing.

I get that the new album may require a more intimate setting but in that case that means the whole "Claw" 360 tour will simply end this year. There would have to be a new tour with a different stage design if that's the case.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 12:23:58 PM »
To quote Mary J. Blige, ain't gon' happen. No one's going to spend upwards of $100 million on staging and then not use it.

#@!

Offline OneStepCloser

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Can you hear the drummer slowing?
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 12:30:53 PM »
I hope they go indoors. When I heard this tour was going to be an all stadium one I got scared. I've never been to a stadium show, but I have been to an arena one, and I love the intimacy of arenas. The stage is actually eye level with the audience! This tour the stage is set higher, and it just makes me anxious that I'm not going to feel the same way as I did during the Vertigo tour. I'm seeing them at the Rose Bowl, so I'll finally get to experience first hand a stadium, and maybe after I get a taste of it I'll change my mind and shun arenas. But until then...*crosses fingers for indoor shows*

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 12:41:48 PM »
I've never been to an arena gig with u2, so it would be interesting. I WAS at an Oasis arena gig and thought it was distinctly worse than U2 at Croker, but that probably has reasons which are not at all to do with the quality of the venue!

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 12:49:52 PM »
I've never been to an arena gig with u2, so it would be interesting. I WAS at an Oasis arena gig and thought it was distinctly worse than U2 at Croker, but that probably has reasons which are not at all to do with the quality of the venue!

An arena gig might mean more concerts too.  ;)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 01:17:59 PM »
Well, Dublin gets more than everywhere else in Europe everywhere, so that doesn't concern me. ;)

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 03:22:40 PM »
So...I work at a concert place [Qwest Center...I'm pretty high up] in Omaha, NE. And guess who is tentatively scheduled for a spring show? U2.

Yes. I contacted U2's tour manager and he said they were trying to work-out a way to scale down the stage...and if so will be going on an indoor tour in U.S. next spring. So for now this is just a "rumor" but the man told me they were 94% sure it was going to happen. I also asked if they'd be going on a world tour.

It looks like they want to drop their "new" album around next spring and hit up the rest of the world next summer.

OMAHA!!!! OMAHA!!! SWEET MOTHER OF PEARL OMAHA!!!! Yes!!!!!!! I sure hope this turns out true!!! I am so there!! 8)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 03:43:25 PM »
The stage show in an Arena  sized venue would not bear any resemblance to the 360 Claw stage.  It would probably just be a fairly plain stage in the round with a 360 video screen.  But still I'd rather that than stand in a football stadium.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 07:08:33 PM »

OMAHA!!!! OMAHA!!! SWEET MOTHER OF PEARL OMAHA!!!! Yes!!!!!!! I sure hope this turns out true!!! I am so there!! 8)

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo YEAH BABY, I HOPE THIS IS TRUE OMAHA, OMAHA, WOOOOOO.......

(sorry that was really uncalled for but u2 might be coming 50ish miles away next year................................  ;D ;D ;D