Author Topic: 3rd Leg Indoor Tour...America  (Read 3466 times)

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
Re: 3rd Leg Indoor Tour...America
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 08:22:14 PM »
^Or for me, five or so. ;D

Achtung40Life

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 08:37:43 PM »
I'm excited for this news if it is true. It would honestly make sense, because No Line is the louder album. What Bono said in an interview is they are going to donate the stages once they finish to places where other artists can preform in Central and South America, almost like an artificial amphitheater. I've never seen U2 in concert, and a stadium show is a great way to start, but an area show to me seems much more personal, and whole who symbolism of the band and the audience under the same roof is a very special thought. Maybe U2's goal was to not make much of a profit on 360 (obviously their contractors want a piece of the dough, but I meant for the band and their managers) and then go all out in areas the next year, where you can play more shows with a cheaper, more compact stage, which can be shipped for much less. Not to mention the fact that U2 is guaranteed to sell out arenas.

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 08:45:17 PM »
It's U2360...so if they play on a round stage it would still fit the tour...Willlie can come up with something clever to make it work.

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 09:06:17 PM »
That'd be sweet-- if true and comes to fruition. I'm not placing any bets-- yet.

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 09:15:36 PM »
Another thought!-- out of the 360 box--  there is a certain club in town that has a star on it's wall from when they played there at their start, and way before my time  in town-- but now that would be cool to play that venue.  For some reason I don't think Live Nation would let that one fly though.

Offline u2boy11

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Miss Holiday Golightly, Traveling.
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 12:26:19 AM »
There could be both indoor and outdoor shows...because around april and march it's still pretty cold in Omaha and we only really have the Qwest Center (an indoor venue) as arena large enough for an act like U2.

Although, I would love to see them play at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, Ne...

Live Nation actually contacted our mayor because he proposed an "entertainment tax" that would boost the price of tickets in the Omaha metro...They said if the tax was enacted than they would reconsider taking some of their acts to our city...I was quite upset at this news!

So, I think plans for a 3rd north american indoor/outdoor tour must be somewhat underway...

Btw - I didn't know there were fellow Nebraskans on here HELLO!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 12:47:19 AM »
Seen U2 41 times - 16 Stadiums and 25 arenas - and Ill take indoors any day of the week - intimate, closer to the band, better acoustics (most of the time). Im excited for this news.

As for the source - I went to the show at The Qwest Center in Omaha on the Vertigo tour. Out of the 28 shows I saw on the tour it was my second favorite. It was bloody cold though in December, and I fell asleep outside the arena on the sidewalk (I was so tired from seeing them in St Louis the night before and traveling from St Louis to Omaha through the night!). Anyways - friendly lot you Nebraskans (is that what they call you?), I would love to go back and see another gig there!

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 10:57:17 AM »
Converting the Claw for arena use makes absolutely no sense. In 2001 and 2005 we saw U2 touring in arenas, putting on shows featuring 360-degree seating, with lighting, video, and speakers hanging from the ceiling, offering a totally unobstructed view. The Claw's only purpose is to attempt to take the intimate arena concept to stadiums. In an arena you can hang everything without the need for legs, which accordingly means...no Claw!

Further, I'd be a bit surprised to see U2 duck back into such small venues, primarily because it means they'd need to put on so many more shows. These big, 360-seating stadium shows seem to serve their goal to "work less."

I'd love to be proven wrong regarding an arena tour, but even if it DID happen, I think the only part of the Claw we'd recognize would be the 360 video screen and elements of the spire.

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 04:49:32 PM »
This is exciting news! Hopefully they'll come to Northern California this time.  I could imagine the price of doing an all stadium tour is very costly and maybe moving a N. American leg into arenas would save them a lot. 

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 04:56:23 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There could be both indoor and outdoor shows...because around april and march it's still pretty cold in Omaha and we only really have the Qwest Center (an indoor venue) as arena large enough for an act like U2.

Although, I would love to see them play at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, Ne...

Live Nation actually contacted our mayor because he proposed an "entertainment tax" that would boost the price of tickets in the Omaha metro...They said if the tax was enacted than they would reconsider taking some of their acts to our city...I was quite upset at this news!

So, I think plans for a 3rd north american indoor/outdoor tour must be somewhat underway...

Btw - I didn't know there were fellow Nebraskans on here HELLO!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And if the new baseball stadium was built fast enough, they could try that, but it would be a very small number of seats, even less than shows in Europe like Zagreb had.

Memorial Stadium makes the most sense for me. With GA on the field, you could easily get 85,000 or more in there.

And I am actually kind of glad Live Nation told the mayor off on the tax. If I had to pay a higher price because it was my only shot to see U2, I guess I'd do it, but that tax makes no sense and isn't smart for getting people to dish out their money, especially in times like this.

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 04:57:45 PM »
This is exciting news! Hopefully they'll come to Northern California this time.  I could imagine the price of doing an all stadium tour is very costly and maybe moving a N. American leg into arenas would save them a lot. 

Totally agree.  Northern California needs some shows and I love arena shows.  I have seen them in both, and prefer arena's.  I like it when I have to worry about the roof coming down- it adds a bit of adrenaline to the mix.  Adam's sound at the Dublin shows would make the arenas lift off.  At least this rumour gives us hope in Northern California.

Offline highway190

• Refugee
  • Not telling you where the J Tree is.
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 06:11:46 PM »
So...I work at a concert place [Qwest Center...I'm pretty high up] in Omaha, NE. And guess who is tentatively scheduled for a spring show? U2.

Yes. I contacted U2's tour manager and he said they were trying to work-out a way to scale down the stage...and if so will be going on an indoor tour in U.S. next spring. So for now this is just a "rumor" but the man told me they were 94% sure it was going to happen. I also asked if they'd be going on a world tour.

It looks like they want to drop their "new" album around next spring and hit up the rest of the world next summer.

Wow. Busy year for the boys? Let's hope so.

First, prove you work at the Qwest Center. Until then you're just lying in my eyes. Show, don't tell.

I love how gullible some people are. "OH HE SAYS HE WORKS SOMEWHERE EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE NO PROOF LETS FREAK OUT!"

Anyone who says "I'm pretty high up" to add weight to their story, sounds full of it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 06:15:07 PM by highway190 »

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2009, 07:36:09 PM »
well they won't let them have it at memorial stadium. stupid huskers, only if bono donates money to the university thats the only way they'll let them use it.

Offline U2Pride

• Deep In the Heart
  • There's no them, only us.
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2009, 07:50:27 PM »
EEP!! I hope they do it!!! Since I can't go to this leg because the NY stadiums way far away  :-\

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2009, 08:17:02 PM »
So...I work at a concert place [Qwest Center...I'm pretty high up] in Omaha, NE. And guess who is tentatively scheduled for a spring show? U2.

Yes. I contacted U2's tour manager and he said they were trying to work-out a way to scale down the stage...and if so will be going on an indoor tour in U.S. next spring. So for now this is just a "rumor" but the man told me they were 94% sure it was going to happen. I also asked if they'd be going on a world tour.

It looks like they want to drop their "new" album around next spring and hit up the rest of the world next summer.

Wow. Busy year for the boys? Let's hope so.

First, prove you work at the Qwest Center. Until then you're just lying in my eyes. Show, don't tell.

I love how gullible some people are. "OH HE SAYS HE WORKS SOMEWHERE EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE NO PROOF LETS FREAK OUT!"

Anyone who says "I'm pretty high up" to add weight to their story, sounds full of it.

Good point. Typically, anyone "high up" enough to be able to contact "U2's tour manager" would know better than to be bragging about such things on a message board.