Author Topic: Has any fans come aboard from NLOTH?  (Read 6108 times)

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
Re: Has any fans come aboard from NLOTH?
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2009, 03:21:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

RE Jonny Amsterdam: Don't agree with his opinion, but agree with his point; this is a forum, for DISCUSSION and OPINIONS - he has evey right to criticze the new album if he wants to.

And anyone else on this board has the right to criticize him for being predictable and boring.
actually you have. so go ahead

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2009, 03:29:06 PM »
I came on board a long time ago with U2; NLOTH just reaffirms to me that they are right where they should be in their development as a band. I think that cranking out 4 classic songs on an album (Magnificent, Breathe, NLOTH, and Moment of Surrender) at this stage of their career is an amazing feat.

Offline u2and

• Refugee
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2009, 04:30:27 PM »
I came on board a long time ago with U2; NLOTH just reaffirms to me that they are right where they should be in their development as a band. I think that cranking out 4 classic songs on an album (Magnificent, Breathe, NLOTH, and Moment of Surrender) at this stage of their career is an amazing feat.

That's fair - but Mr Amsterdam doesn't agree.

There are way too many people here that assume just because a person disagrees with something, they aren't entitled to their opinion.

Mr Amsterdam likes a certain period in U2's career - and he is allowed not to like the last 3 albums.

I don't like NLOTH at all, I like 2 or 3 songs on HTDAAB and half of ATYCLB.

So, I'm somewhere in the middle of the U2 mafia here and Mr Amsterdam.

• Precious Stone
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2009, 04:37:07 PM »

There are way too many people here that assume just because a person disagrees with something, they aren't entitled to their opinion.

Mr Amsterdam likes a certain period in U2's career - and he is allowed not to like the last 3 albums.

I have never told anyone they aren't entitled to their opinion. But when it is repeated ad nauseum on any kind of thread imaginable, including those that are created for those people who actually like the album, then he becomes predictable and boring. I actually haven't seen anyone say that JA or anyone else isn't entitled to their opinion. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough?

Offline JSab

• Staring at the Sun
  • No, no line
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2009, 04:48:08 AM »
Ich bin ein trabant
[/quote]

Hahahhahhaa awesome! love some good german. I don't agree with your trolling, but I do love the early 90's era the most - its just awesome,
but I still really appreciate todays stuff, its still far far better than most of todays crap (IMO of course).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 04:53:06 AM by JSab »

Offline JSab

• Staring at the Sun
  • No, no line
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2009, 05:03:17 AM »
I knew of U2 before HTDAAB, but Vertigo caught my attention on the Apple adds. I bought the album, loved it, then bought their 90's best of (at the time I knew of their 80's stuff and ATYCLB, but had no clue about the 90's - its now my favourite era :D) - then I gradually bought everything else and finished the collection (apart from the cd version of Under A Blood Red Sky (though i have it on dvd) and Wide Awake In America - should they really be part of the collection? I guess so cause I dont feel like my collection is complete).

I was also curious if NLOTH created fans like what HTDAAB did for me. Somehow this album doesn't seem to have nearly as much publicity as their previous album :(

U2 are keeping with the times, their current music is modern and still really awesome and catchy like they've always made their music - simple riffs and awesome sound effects.

Wouldn't it be awesome for them to do a one-day recording of an album? as in create music on the spot - that produced Party Girl and I love the song, its got a great beat to it and such.

Anyway, U2 are awesome, it'll be good to hear from more people that NLOTH did it for them :)

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2009, 05:35:56 AM »

I have never told anyone they aren't entitled to their opinion. But when it is repeated ad nauseum on any kind of thread imaginable, including those that are created for those people who actually like the album, then he becomes predictable and boring. I actually haven't seen anyone say that JA or anyone else isn't entitled to their opinion. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough?
So I become predictable and boring. So what? It can also mean that my opinion doesn't change and I stand firm.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2009, 05:41:45 AM »
Ich bin ein trabant

Hahahhahhaa awesome! love some good german. I don't agree with your trolling, but I do love the early 90's era the most - its just awesome,
but I still really appreciate todays stuff, its still far far better than most of todays crap (IMO of course).
[/quote]Yeah German is great to speak. AUSWEIS BITTE.
Anyway I'm not trolling. I'm just very critical of the last releases U2's work. How can the have such A great start till POP and have become so tame and boring these days.

I'm extremely disappointed in them not even trying any more to really wow us with their talent. They have it in them, but to me it feels like they've cowarded out.
And that's what's annoys me the most: you know that they have it in them but they're afraid of showing it beacuse they have the feeling that they made a mistake with POP. Like somebody said before it's better to try and fail than not to try at all. and the boys ain't even trying. Imagine yourself what would've happens if POP was a success?

Offline JSab

• Staring at the Sun
  • No, no line
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2009, 06:46:16 AM »
Ich bin ein trabant

Yeah German is great to speak. AUSWEIS BITTE.
Anyway I'm not trolling. I'm just very critical of the last releases U2's work. How can the have such A great start till POP and have become so tame and boring these days.

I'm extremely disappointed in them not even trying any more to really wow us with their talent. They have it in them, but to me it feels like they've cowarded out.
And that's what's annoys me the most: you know that they have it in them but they're afraid of showing it beacuse they have the feeling that they made a mistake with POP. Like somebody said before it's better to try and fail than not to try at all. and the boys ain't even trying. Imagine yourself what would've happens if POP was a success?
[/quote]

Yeah your point is valid - I can understand you posting it in alot of forums, you feel strongly about it and are annoyed about it, so its fine to post your opinion.
Its similar to me mentioning the Loudness War whenever I remember it - its something that really annoys me about todays music (U2 included - they've made their albums really loud since POP, and the quality has sufferect cause of it - that could be partly why the songs dont have the same power as previous ones).

Everyone's different, I don't really mind what anyone says, cause its the internet, ppl can post what they want (of course with certain limits), its not going to get you killed, the internet is superficial, a bit of entertainment, people can use it how they want, but then at the same time, thats not the best way to put it - i dunno, everyone has a different viewpoint to whatever is said anywhere, your intentions of what you post may be different to how people interpret it.

I would love them to do something really non-mainstream, or more, I was really excited about their new album how they said they recon its an album concept similar to Achtung Baby (the whole "huge stylistic change from their previous album" thing) and it wasnt overly, so I was slightly dissapointed, but I still love the album - I noticed certain bits in the songs that reminded me of AB, so it got me to like it.

I can't speak german, but they're just such awesome people, the language is so funny cause "I love you" sounds more like you want to stab them XD.

I appreciate all their music, Vertigo got me into U2, but somehow I hardly listen to the song - its got its audience, and U2 are doing a decent job of keeping with the times, their music changes alot, and somehow I see AB, Zooropa and POP as similar in style (in some way or another) to those eras in time. The musical trends of today has declined since the 80's and 90's (well, i mainly only like U2's stuff from the 90's, I dont have a heap of other 90's music so that point is slightly flawed), its all lame pop rock stuff that all sounds samey, but people of today like that, and U2 are keeping with those times, so its good they can do that.

Well thats one way of looking at it.

Lets hope the music of the 10's gets better, in terms of a subsiding loudness war (or some form of new music technology for MP3's that allows good sound quality at todays stupidly loud volumes), and in terms of music in general.

What happened to the days of psycadelia and heaps of experimental pieces and such? progressive rock and the like?

On a positive note, I quite like the current Australian band Eskimo Joe - I somhow like their music, its somewhat U2-ish. I went to their concert and in one
of their songs they did this crazy awesome improvisational intrumental part on the spot, I loved it, but then the lead singer apologised, i dont know why :P

I've found I really enjoy 60's, 70's and 80's music cause there's some really awesome stuff there.

• Precious Stone
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2009, 11:36:05 AM »

So I become predictable and boring. So what? It can also mean that my opinion doesn't change and I stand firm.

And I'm still looking for someone who has told you that you aren't entitled to that opinion.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2009, 12:19:10 PM »

And I'm still looking for someone who has told you that you aren't entitled to that opinion.
Bro will you be stalking me at every post I do? it's getting boring and predictable.

• Precious Stone
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2009, 03:56:48 PM »

Bro will you be stalking me at every post I do? it's getting boring and predictable.

Still looking. Haven't found one single person on this board that has told you that you are not entitled to your opinion.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2009, 04:14:28 PM »

Still looking. Haven't found one single person on this board that has told you that you are not entitled to your opinion.
There you are again you Ol stalker you

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2009, 05:02:35 PM »

There you are again you Ol stalker you

Joe G has a point - which Johnny Amsterdam clearly prefers not to address - for reasons up for interpretation...
He's stalking J.Amsterdam just like J. Amsterdam pounces and poos on anything and anybody remotely giving the last 3 albums approval. Just to be heard . He needs attention ( over and over and over again ). He appears to takes U2's output personally.  :'(  That's a hell of a way to flatter yourself, really.

• Precious Stone
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2009, 06:21:54 PM »
Mr Amsterdam doesn't agree.

STILL trying to find anyone who has said JA or anyone else is not entitled to their opinion. There's a major difference between telling someone they aren't entitled to their opinion and disagreeing with their opinion.