Poll

Which songs would you like to see U2 drop?

Pride
24 (36.9%)
Streets
3 (4.6%)
Sunday Bloody Sunday
13 (20%)
One
1 (1.5%)
New Years Day
9 (13.8%)
With or Without You
15 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: SPOILER - Poll - Songs to drop from the set list  (Read 5456 times)

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
Re: SPOILER - Poll - Songs to drop from the set list
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2009, 09:53:16 AM »
I think most of those songs need to go.  I voted for With or Without You.  U2 has so many great songs that they could work on that are as good or better.  I think they forget what a great body of work they have that would be fitting with the new songs.

Offline joe73

• Wanderer
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2009, 10:28:54 AM »
I voted for pride. It sounded tired at the 2 shows I attended. They don't have to drop it entirely but if it were played every 2nd show it might give it a bit more life. Look at new years day and angel of harlem, both were not regulars but were really fresh when they were played.

This is the only song I would drop. ISHFWILF was the biggest singalong of the shows and along with sunday bloody sunday hasn't sounded this good in years. Prior to seeing the shows the latter  song would have probably got my vote but the performances at both shows was very powerful.

The only change I would make would be to get rid of the steering wheel microphne during WOWY. This is a one song gimmick and whist it is fine for ultraviolet it doesn't work for the more intimimate mood of WOWY. Interestingly, at the last show I saw Bono switched to a normal mic. after the first verse and the song really came to life.

Offline u2and

• Refugee
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2009, 12:57:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I voted for pride. It sounded tired at the 2 shows I attended. They don't have to drop it entirely but if it were played every 2nd show it might give it a bit more life. Look at new years day and angel of harlem, both were not regulars but were really fresh when they were played.

This is the only song I would drop. ISHFWILF was the biggest singalong of the shows and along with sunday bloody sunday hasn't sounded this good in years. Prior to seeing the shows the latter  song would have probably got my vote but the performances at both shows was very powerful.

The only change I would make would be to get rid of the steering wheel microphne during WOWY. This is a one song gimmick and whist it is fine for ultraviolet it doesn't work for the more intimimate mood of WOWY. Interestingly, at the last show I saw Bono switched to a normal mic. after the first verse and the song really came to life.

You're right, ISHFWILF was a big sing along but that's probably because U2 haven't done it to death! And it always a pleasure to hear Ultraviolet but again, they haven't played that one to death either...

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2009, 07:12:27 PM »
Seriously, who even thought about dropping Streets, don't tell me the show would be better with Streets out of the setlist, it would actually be a major hole in the set.  Like an interrupted climax.

"Interupted Climax" - LOFL!!! Awesome one!

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 06:31:05 PM »
Please drop "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and replace it with either Discotehque or Mofo!

With that poppy "Crazy" remix, it's amazing and mind boggling they haven't played a Pop song after it!!!
yes!

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2009, 07:04:58 PM »
for about 2 minutes I thought UTEOTW should not be played again this tour after listening to the 9/13 show.  Bono sounded as if he wanted to be doing anything but singing that song and then it seems edge kinda misplayed the beginning of the solo and Bono came to life with the Love, Love, Love section and brought the ending home very powerfully.

Add Magnificent to the poll.  That one is toast.  Listen to the 9/13 show and you will hear what I'm talking about.  Very WOWY-like performance from Bono.

Offline beau99

• Stateless
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2009, 02:42:41 AM »
I'm gonna go with Unforgettable Fire.  I know it wasn't played for a while before this tour, but that song has not aged well.  I'm actually kind of not really looking forward to it.
I'm just the opposite...

I've never seen U2 live before and this tour will mark my first show. TUF is one of my all-time favorites and was so happy to see they brought it back AND still manage to make it sound phenominal live. Hell, Bono sounds better singing it NOW then he did in 1984.

Offline OptimaX

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • ZOOPOP
Your Blue Room - Do we REALLY like it??
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2009, 05:42:35 AM »
With the exception of Streets and One, I think they all have to go that are in the Poll, and the one that needs to go first; "I STILL haven't found what i'm looking for" Isn't even an option in the poll!  :-\

I mean, come'on people let's be honest here… Who of you people think he is actually going to find it after 23(!) years! I'm pretty sick of Bono keeping whining about it... I make a joke out of it now, but i'm serious... That song badly needs to go! It becomes Cheesy!

Right then... Your Blue Room. It is a very nice song. It is over ten years old and was never played live before. So.. U2 fans feel spoiled, happy, U2 fans want rare things to happen at their show. But is Your Blue Room really worth it? Drowning Man... Now that is another story, but YBR? Really? Have a look at the YouTube clips of it, it really isn't a 'great' moment in the show at all... Even the audiences don't really know what to do with it.
I think YBR is a bad move. Thanks for all the effort U2, we love it that you guys actually care about doing something 'special'. But I think Drowning Man would have been a much better Choice. Also, I can think of many songs that have been performed many times that would do much better. Gone, Kite, Please, Discotheque, The Fly, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Dirty Day, Lemon, If You Were That Velvet Dress, a full-band version (with the fantastic guitar solo at the end) of Ground Beneath Her Feet would have done amazingly better in this tour with this Claw-thing

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2009, 05:43:14 AM »

I probably agree; the steering wheel works great during Ultraviolet. But I think it encourages Bono to be lazy with his vocal in WOWY.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2009, 06:26:00 AM »
Stuck in a Moment. And it actually WAS last night.

Stay away.

Offline jrnyc

• Wanderer
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2009, 06:29:59 PM »
With or Without You for sure, I was happy when it disappeared from some shows on the Vertigo tour. Also, New Years Day. There are other older songs they could play that havent been played in awhile.

Set list now is average at best, I like the new NLOTH songs, but they are too slow. They need to go deeper on older songs and mix up the encore also.

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2009, 11:48:49 PM »
Ugh. I have no problem with Drowning Man, but I think it's be a dreadful closer, whereas MoS was MADE to be a closer...

AGREED

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2009, 11:53:52 PM »
Never drop Streets, but jeez, give the others a rest. This isn't a PBS special. It's a gig for people who avidly follow the band and some newbies. You don't have to reintroduce yourselves each night.

Disagree.  

In a 70,000 capacity stadium tour, I suspect the majority of the audience is made up of casual fans, by which I mean people who, yes are solid fans, but are not 'avidly' so, to use your word.  Many will have some albums, perhaps been to a concert or two in the past, are aquainted with the well known songs, which they may remember from 80's and 90's college parties, but they don't frequent fan forums discussing the relative merits of the tracklists of Zooropa and ATYCLB.  People who avidly follow the band, although a very large number in absolute terms, are likely to be in the minority.

Hence the well known tracks have to be included, to give the majority of causual fans (and a sizeable proportion of the minority of avid fans) what they want: an evening of classic U2, together with some new material.

I completely agree with your breakdown of what the audience makeup would be on a stadium tour.  I might even go so far as to say that the majority of the audience might not even own a full album outside of one of the greatest hits.  In arenas where the audience is around 15000 its a differnt story.

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2009, 11:55:06 PM »
"Streets" may be the one universal U2 song.  Even more than "One".

I voted for "Pride".

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2009, 07:49:15 PM »
Never drop Streets, but jeez, give the others a rest. This isn't a PBS special. It's a gig for people who avidly follow the band and some newbies. You don't have to reintroduce yourselves each night.

Disagree.  

In a 70,000 capacity stadium tour, I suspect the majority of the audience is made up of casual fans, by which I mean people who, yes are solid fans, but are not 'avidly' so, to use your word.  Many will have some albums, perhaps been to a concert or two in the past, are aquainted with the well known songs, which they may remember from 80's and 90's college parties, but they don't frequent fan forums discussing the relative merits of the tracklists of Zooropa and ATYCLB.  People who avidly follow the band, although a very large number in absolute terms, are likely to be in the minority.

Hence the well known tracks have to be included, to give the majority of causual fans (and a sizeable proportion of the minority of avid fans) what they want: an evening of classic U2, together with some new material.

I completely agree with your breakdown of what the audience makeup would be on a stadium tour.  I might even go so far as to say that the majority of the audience might not even own a full album outside of one of the greatest hits.  In arenas where the audience is around 15000 its a differnt story.

But nothing has to be played.  When a band feels they have to play a song, they are making a huge mistake.  Nothing sounds worse than a performance of a song that a band feels they have to play.