Poll

Which songs would you like to see U2 drop?

Pride
24 (36.9%)
Streets
3 (4.6%)
Sunday Bloody Sunday
13 (20%)
One
1 (1.5%)
New Years Day
9 (13.8%)
With or Without You
15 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: SPOILER - Poll - Songs to drop from the set list  (Read 5425 times)

Offline ken

• Babyface
Re: SPOILER - Poll - Songs to drop from the set list
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 02:33:03 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Never drop Streets, but jeez, give the others a rest. This isn't a PBS special. It's a gig for people who avidly follow the band and some newbies. You don't have to reintroduce yourselves each night.

Disagree.  

In a 70,000 capacity stadium tour, I suspect the majority of the audience is made up of casual fans, by which I mean people who, yes are solid fans, but are not 'avidly' so, to use your word.  Many will have some albums, perhaps been to a concert or two in the past, are aquainted with the well known songs, which they may remember from 80's and 90's college parties, but they don't frequent fan forums discussing the relative merits of the tracklists of Zooropa and ATYCLB.  People who avidly follow the band, although a very large number in absolute terms, are likely to be in the minority.

Hence the well known tracks have to be included, to give the majority of causual fans (and a sizeable proportion of the minority of avid fans) what they want: an evening of classic U2, together with some new material.

Offline evilways811

• Stateless
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 04:21:18 PM »
Out of those? none.

My write in vote goes to, "Stuck in a Moment.." and "In a Little While". Also if possible switch "Elevation" with "The Fly".

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 05:13:39 PM »
this poll seemed a bit biased. Nothing form NLOTH to chose from?

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 05:52:09 PM »
I voted for With Or Without You. That is a classic and I love it, but out of the list, I'd rather hear Pride.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 06:27:27 PM »
Keep these setlist threads comin...

We need more.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 07:08:33 PM »
Never drop Streets, but jeez, give the others a rest. This isn't a PBS special. It's a gig for people who avidly follow the band and some newbies. You don't have to reintroduce yourselves each night.

Disagree.  

In a 70,000 capacity stadium tour, I suspect the majority of the audience is made up of casual fans, by which I mean people who, yes are solid fans, but are not 'avidly' so, to use your word.  Many will have some albums, perhaps been to a concert or two in the past, are aquainted with the well known songs, which they may remember from 80's and 90's college parties, but they don't frequent fan forums discussing the relative merits of the tracklists of Zooropa and ATYCLB.  People who avidly follow the band, although a very large number in absolute terms, are likely to be in the minority.

Hence the well known tracks have to be included, to give the majority of causual fans (and a sizeable proportion of the minority of avid fans) what they want: an evening of classic U2, together with some new material.

I disagree with your disagreement.  no song should ever be played to death and I include streets in this.  The "classics" sound dreadfully tired and whats funny is U2 has so many hits yet they keep the same core of them every night which just by very human nature means U2 will get bored and tired with them and go through the numbers.  its unavoidable.  70,000 screaming fans can't make the song more enjoyable to play every single night.  when you're bored your bored.  this isnt a broadway show where a song has to be there because their is an exact script that has to be followed for the plot.  and broadway casts change so its new people doing those songs and performances so they are less tired.  I'm actually skipping the tour based on the performances I have heard and cause U2 has decided to act like the only thing about technology is about building a big stage.  when in fact technology is in this day and age about immediate information where everyone can get a set list in real time.  even casual fans can find them immediately.  rotating songs 6 and 8 and using the same songs is not rotation.

so i say dump them all and take a huge risk.  how about playing 50-60 songs and acknowledging their are 2 albums before War, one after Zooropa and that something can be played off Zooropa other than acoustically.  cause U2 is missing a very interesting concept.  by playing essentially just the new album and the hits, they are not exposing the casual fans to the rest of their catalog.  What if they play Gone and some casual fans say damn that was great and ask someone next to them what album that was from and they say Pop.  and the casual fan responds hey i'm gonna go check that album out i thought it was all techno.  on most nights U2 ignores 5 albums.  look at the last 10-15 shows, with the exception of stay no songs from boy, october, rattle and hum, zooropa or pop.  thats 5/12 of their albums.  U2 can still do their hits and represent their whole catalog and maybe open more people up instead of just trying to please them.  concerts are not all about sing-a-longs and hits.  they require give and take.  but these U2 shows lately are just too audience friendly.  and i'm sure someone will respond with saying well TUF and UV are back for the diehards.  maybe i'm wrong but the diehards want nightly change.  TUF and UV are old hat.  they are regulars now.  U2 can cater to everyone just as Springsteen, REM and Radiohead do.  Those 3 bands rotate a good portion of their set every night.

and sure U2 has the right to choose whatever they want to play.  but come one who in the band is the one standing up and shooting down urges.  they had an urge to play drowning man and somehow decided it didnt fit and was too emotional to be followed with a song.  thats a load of bs.  just play it.  what made them practice If God Will Send His Angels that one day at sound check.  guess what they had an urge, but again shot down in front of a live crowd.  they rehearsed I will follow, but didnt act on it.  its impossible that U2 only gets urges to play songs like Elevation, NYD, UTEOTW, etc - the regulars every tour.  they have so many songs and Edge ran his mouth on how everything was fair game.  I feel like the rep from the crowd of the Obama speech "you lie."  you can keep a concept and rotate a set with the new songs as the core.

in the end, and people are gonna rip me for this, but maybe U2 just aren't that good at playing their songs.  and what I mean by that is U2 can't just play a song (party girl is about the only exception) without endless rehearsing.  Please in Baltimore in 2001 was a perfect example I was there and they butchered it.  Electrical Storm never quite sounded right this tour.  so they fall back on the same ones from every tour.  they bring back a couple of older tunes but they practice them a lot before playing them. 

so i take back what i said.  U2 should leave them all in cause the show might be a train wreck without them.

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 08:30:51 PM »
Okay, so the diehards want nightly change. Maybe these diehards feel a need to go to every single show. That's fine. But a very large number of people in the crowd aren't worrying about the setlist from show four on the tour and are worried about how similar it will be to their show, number twenty-four. A lot of those people can only see one, maybe two, shows a tour. So if they're going to be pleased with their show, does playing Boy/Girl, Street Missions, Big Girls are Best, and 4th of July really sound very appealing? Yes, Streets, Pride, New Year's Day, With or Without You, and so on get played all the time. Not surprising at all. But would you give a crappy night to the rest of the 80,000 folks in the audience, who have waited maybe their whole life to hear the drums of Sunday Bloody Sunday or the ringing guitar of Pride, just to hear the obscurities that will only please you?

And it's a concert. People who are fans of U2 are going to go to the concert. Of course it's fan-friendly! The performers want to give their fans a good time, in the best way that they feel they can do it. If it means playing Streets every night, that is fine by me.

Offline u2and

• Refugee
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 02:21:58 AM »
Seriously, who even thought about dropping Streets, don't tell me the show would be better with Streets out of the setlist, it would actually be a major hole in the set.  Like an interrupted climax.

I don't know - Streets has become like a karaoke U2 song. Predictable and safe.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2009, 02:50:23 AM »
Keep these setlist threads comin...

We need more.

It has become rather annoying - I share your pain  :-\

Offline u2and

• Refugee
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2009, 05:17:27 AM »
Wish I could vote for more than 1 song from this list for the poll

Me too, and I created it. I'd happily see all those songs go - it's not that they're bad songs (although I've never liked Pride), they just get really boring every time U2 play. And, if you go to more than one U2 show, you'll be very lucky to be surprised by anything on the set list.

satellitedog01

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2009, 06:49:54 AM »
Yeah, U2 deserves critique. And Briscotheque, there are threads like these, cos some fans, including me, aren't satisfied with the current offering, that seems to go in the exact opposite direction that this tour offered and suggested.
These threads are, aside from shooting our mouths off,  also there to let anyone know, what people, who actually pay for U2's output, think of their efforts, and it seems that occasionally someone from the U2 staff takes a listen, and there have been changes that seemed to be in response to fans' opinions. So lets just keep on stating our disdain, if it leaves a chance to hear some more surprising stuff.

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2009, 08:15:05 AM »
Interesting one this.

Playing stadiums means they HAVE to play the hits to a certain extent and part of what is special about seeing U2 live is the audience reaction to songs even if the setlists don't seem to vary enough.

My initial reaction to the setlist (before attending in Poland, Wembley and Sheffield) was generally very positive (starting with 4 newbies plus a host of other of my favourites) BUT I felt they had overdone the classics a bit (and in far too similar slots to the Vertigo tour).  However now I've experienced the tour first hand I've changed my mind.  Over the 3 shows I still haven't found and with or without you were (to my surprise) up there as THE highlights of the show!!  Streets is Streets so you can't drop ever, One is seminal so ditto.  Sunday Bloody Sunday and Pride could be alternated each night but, do you know what, I think the setlist is pretty damn perfect.  Agree with the NME about bringing in the Fly for the tepid City of Blinding Lights (but in the US they'll never drop City cos of the Obama thing) apart from that I can't see they need for much change.  Oh and bring back In a little while.

Offline u2and

• Refugee
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2009, 08:45:20 AM »
Interesting one this.

Playing stadiums means they HAVE to play the hits to a certain extent and part of what is special about seeing U2 live is the audience reaction to songs even if the setlists don't seem to vary enough.

My initial reaction to the setlist (before attending in Poland, Wembley and Sheffield) was generally very positive (starting with 4 newbies plus a host of other of my favourites) BUT I felt they had overdone the classics a bit (and in far too similar slots to the Vertigo tour).  However now I've experienced the tour first hand I've changed my mind.  Over the 3 shows I still haven't found and with or without you were (to my surprise) up there as THE highlights of the show!!  Streets is Streets so you can't drop ever, One is seminal so ditto.  Sunday Bloody Sunday and Pride could be alternated each night but, do you know what, I think the setlist is pretty damn perfect.  Agree with the NME about bringing in the Fly for the tepid City of Blinding Lights (but in the US they'll never drop City cos of the Obama thing) apart from that I can't see they need for much change.  Oh and bring back In a little while.

I see what you mean - for my money it's the predictability of it all too. The same 'classics' tend to appear at the same times during a gig on every tour. I want to be inspired and surprised when I see a band. Anyway, I know what you mean about COBL - I can't stand the song (especially the ringing bell sound or whatever it is) so I'd happily be rocked hard by The Fly any day of the week above Streets, Pride etc...

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2009, 09:24:14 AM »
In A Little While is back, its been played at several shows : not any for a few weeks mind you.

Offline Molson1020

• Wanderer
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2009, 09:45:01 AM »
Please drop "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and replace it with either Discotehque or Mofo!

With that poppy "Crazy" remix, it's amazing and mind boggling they haven't played a Pop song after it!!!