Author Topic: Opening Night Reviews (Spoiler)  (Read 3211 times)

satellitedog01

Re: Opening Night Reviews
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 11:27:35 AM »
Cannot agree... You can write praise without facts, on the other hand you need them very much to write a plausible critique.

satellitedog01

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 11:29:33 AM »
My last post is in response to our well respected olive oil inspector's

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 11:32:00 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Cannot agree... You can write praise without facts, on the other hand you need them very much to write a plausible critique.

You have a point, I just don't like them getting compared to the Stones.

NLOTH musically is a success.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 11:36:26 AM »
My opinion is based on many European performances I've heard, and I don't mean to take away from the experience of those seeing them the first time live, but I'm less than thrilled with the current state of their setlist, even more so to find it unchanged on the second leg.
I know from my own experience that being at a concert vs. listening to a recording is such an intensive experience, that it's hard to judge unbiased.
Listening back to the U2 concerts I've been to was revealing as far as actual quality goes.

I'll listen to their current U.S. gigs too, and will be happy if his vocal stamina gets stronger.

Fair enough satellitedog & on live vs. video/audio & critiquing ... (Its not my first live show by any means btw.)  I'm just saying that Live - and last night his voice was great and not just from a biased point of view in getting carried away with the concert experience or moment.  So when I hear criticisms like  bono's voice is worse/bad/ crap etc - to me its the extreme.  There's definitely shows where his voice has taken a beating for one reason or another.. (eg) touring every night, or drinking/ what have you but last night if he was indeed "not feeling well" - it didn't show much and his voice was great in spite of that report.

satellitedog01

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2009, 12:00:01 PM »
My critique doesn't really go against his actual voice, which as it is, up to personal taste to like or not.

I personally find his performances of No Line Material phenomenal at times, but then I hear WOWY and Bad, and other staples, being performed subpar to U2's own standards, I just give up... I never used to skip classics earlier on. I would love to hear them perform those songs with as much vigour as say An Cat Dubh from the Vertigo Tour, or Zoo Station or The Fly but it doesn't seem to be the case. And though I would swap quite a few tracks from the current setlist (wouldn't touch the new ones naturally) I would still happily cash out on a few gigs on the 2010 Euro leg, would I like what I hear now. Sofar I'm not sold on the tour...

And another thing I need to comment on. A lot of forumers stated they were fed up by whining fans who keep on posting similar threads, with the same critical content (tour setlist usually),  and why they keep posting those threads etc... Well, it's just cause they are not satisfied, and this is THE forum for such remarks. Complaining about a tour is, at least for me a new thing. I was absolutely content with the Vertigo song selection and setlists, as much as I was with the Elevation one (though I don't care much for the respective albums anymore),  and I don't like the fact not being able to like the new tour's.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2009, 01:01:53 PM »
Here's a better review from USA Today:

U2 never lets the massive 360 Tour props dwarf the music

USA Today, 09/13/2009

by Edna Gundersen

CHICAGO U2 deserves props for the prop, a menacing metallic four-pronged "claw" rising 150 feet from the stadium floor, its core a brilliant lighted pylon with a broad cylinder of interlocking LED panels. It looms over a massive stage with ramps and two steel bridges that sweep like clock hands around the light-rimmed circular runway.

At Saturday's launch of U2's 360 Tour, this War of the Worlds contraption seemed poised to dwarf the players, swamp the songs and squash any communal spark.

Such would be the fate of bands less disarming than U2, who since 1992's Zoo TV Tour again and again have triumphed over the fallow and vast acreage of stadiums. With 360, the band comes full circle to Zoo TV's high-tech/higher-hopes master plan with dazzling and daring production and, more important, songs and skills big enough to fill the space.

Over the course of 2 hours, the District 9 spectacle does on occasion overwhelm the musicians, but never the music. The Irish quartet works up a sweat pounding out a raw, spirited, briskly paced show built on a transcendent thunderous noise and bold, brash emotions, turning that cold, futuristic hulk into an unlikely transmitter of human passion.

The agenda is set with defiantly optimistic opener Breathe, the first of seven knockouts from 12th studio album No Line on the Horizon. The brazenly sexy Get On Your Boots, gorgeous Magnificent and cathartic Moment of Surrender are no less astonishing than such reliable showstoppers as Sunday Bloody Sunday and Pride (In The Name of Love).

While U2 primarily powers through seismic sonics from Elevation and Beautiful Day to Vertigo and a psychedelic City of Blinding Lights, the band creates pockets of aching intimacy in their cavernous workspace, particularly with the always heartbreaking One and a poignant Stuck In a Moment You Can't Get out Of, an acoustic duet with Bono and Edge, who briefly upstages his singing partner with a tender falsetto.

The band has never sounded stronger. Drummer Larry Mullen Jr. and bassist Adam Clayton drive the rhythms with a furious intensity. Edge's guitar remains a kaleidoscopic wonder. And Bono's tenor soars with an effortless grace and vigor. The sound? Full, crisp, crystalline, not the muddy echo typical of stadium rock shows.

No question, concerts at the local football field can be a logistical pain. U2 has fine-tuned the experience with fine tunes pouring from an extraterrestrial jukebox that manages to radiate charisma, warmth and imagination. It's a band that still gives you something you can feel. In a word, liftoff.

(c) USA Today, 2009.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2009, 01:03:51 PM »
Boom, can you please add a ''SPOILER'' to your thread.

Offline bschwarb

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: Opening Night Reviews (Spoiler)
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009, 02:28:08 PM »
Last night was my 7th U2 show and 4th time in G.A. We got to Soldier Field about 6:30pm and we were 20 feet off the rail center stage. Looking behind us, there was plenty of room towards the back. The sound was excellent on the floor, and Bono's voice was in excellent shape.

Several highlights or notes as I watched the show...the new songs work really well live. I wonder if U2 thought about the choruses and the "sing-along" moments of the songs when they recorded the album? It's gutsy to open with four songs off the new album, but it worked. Particularly No Line and Magnificent. However, I'm not sure a lot of the crowd knew the songs.

It was great to hear TUF, MLK and especially Bad. I was hoping for Bad, but didn't think we'd get it the first show. I actually am not sure it was scheduled to be in the set. At the end of One, Bono walked over to Edge and said something, and then said something to Larry as the first notes of Bad were played.

I agree with several other reviews that the crowd seemed somewhat subdued for the first concert in America?

Two negatives:

1. Crazy Tonight remix needs to go. It's a fun party song, but just didn't do anything for me. I'm thankful that the screen had some cool effects going on during the song, but get rid of it.

2. I love the song Walk On, and I thought it was one of the big highlights during the Elevation tour, but I thought all of the hoopla surrounding Aung San Suu Kyi hurt the song. I'm totally cool with the band dedicating the song to her, and putting some of the pics up on the screen, but enough with the masks, and when the people came on stage holding the masks it was just stupid. I thought all of that junk took away from what otherwise is a great song.

Another great U2 show. Not the best I've been to, but I've never been to a bad U2 show. I'm hoping to see them in 2010 if they come back to the States. If you get the chance go not only for great music but to see the whole spectacle of the claw.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2009, 02:41:36 PM »
Last night was my 7th U2 show and 4th time in G.A. We got to Soldier Field about 6:30pm and we were 20 feet off the rail center stage. Looking behind us, there was plenty of room towards the back. The sound was excellent on the floor, and Bono's voice was in excellent shape.

Several highlights or notes as I watched the show...the new songs work really well live. I wonder if U2 thought about the choruses and the "sing-along" moments of the songs when they recorded the album? It's gutsy to open with four songs off the new album, but it worked. Particularly No Line and Magnificent. However, I'm not sure a lot of the crowd knew the songs.

It was great to hear TUF, MLK and especially Bad. I was hoping for Bad, but didn't think we'd get it the first show. I actually am not sure it was scheduled to be in the set. At the end of One, Bono walked over to Edge and said something, and then said something to Larry as the first notes of Bad were played.

I agree with several other reviews that the crowd seemed somewhat subdued for the first concert in America?

Two negatives:

1. Crazy Tonight remix needs to go. It's a fun party song, but just didn't do anything for me. I'm thankful that the screen had some cool effects going on during the song, but get rid of it.

2. I love the song Walk On, and I thought it was one of the big highlights during the Elevation tour, but I thought all of the hoopla surrounding Aung San Suu Kyi hurt the song. I'm totally cool with the band dedicating the song to her, and putting some of the pics up on the screen, but enough with the masks, and when the people came on stage holding the masks it was just stupid. I thought all of that junk took away from what otherwise is a great song.

Another great U2 show. Not the best I've been to, but I've never been to a bad U2 show. I'm hoping to see them in 2010 if they come back to the States. If you get the chance go not only for great music but to see the whole spectacle of the claw.

I've seen the show 3 times(Dublin shows) and I couldn't agree more with you that the crazy remix has got to go and the whole mask thing during walk on should be dropped.  Just sing the song and dedicate it to Aung San Suu Kyi.  I'm going to both the Toronto shows, so maybe they will change it.  I would also like to see a fast rocker (maybe Stand Up Comedy) would be nice to close they show, rather than the usual slow song from past tours.  Moment of Surrender would be good to close the main set. 

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2009, 04:28:27 PM »
Saw the show six times in Europe and am surprised how opinion is split on the Crazy remix. It is very inventive, gets Larry out in the audience, gets the crowd fired up and fits perfectly into the higher tempo mid show set, COBL, Vertigo Crazy, SBS. The remix injects a bit of the old U2 fire into the song especially the crescendo near the end of the song when Bongo screams  "I know I'll go crazy!!!"  and the drums take over. One of the best moments of the show.
The finale when he is on knees singing "It's not a hill it's a mountain when you start out the climb" is trancelike and segues brilliantly into SBS.

Offline u2pinstripes

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2009, 04:42:52 PM »
Saw the show six times in Europe and am surprised how opinion is split on the Crazy remix. It is very inventive, gets Larry out in the audience, gets the crowd fired up and fits perfectly into the higher tempo mid show set, COBL, Vertigo Crazy, SBS. The remix injects a bit of the old U2 fire into the song especially the crescendo near the end of the song when Bongo screams  "I know I'll go crazy!!!"  and the drums take over. One of the best moments of the show.
The finale when he is on knees singing "It's not a hill it's a mountain when you start out the climb" is trancelike and segues brilliantly into SBS.

I thought it was a terrible lead into SBS.  Going from a fast paced, trance remix to a rock song made SBS feel slow and boring.  I think it's one of the worst decisions they've made on this tour.

Offline Jerid58

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2009, 06:29:56 PM »
Saw the show last night.

I loved the Crazy remix. It was sort of a tribute to Mofo from Popmart in my opinion. It was high energy in the pit and sort of unexpected since I remained spoiler free.

Anyway, I was pleased all around with the setlist and Bono lyriclly, but I agree he didnt really work the crowd into a frenzy like I have seen him do in the past. He got really pumped at the first four songs (Boots especially) and then that was it, but he really did sing great imo.

Couldnt really speak on the stage itself since it was hard to see from the inner circle, other than the LED lighting above the band was really cool.

Agreed, thought the volunteer mask fans was really kinda weak. Really weak actually.

Got in line at 11 and had no problem getting really close. It makes for a long day, but its worth it when you look back.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2009, 07:13:59 PM »
Here's a better review from USA Today:

U2 never lets the massive 360 Tour props dwarf the music

USA Today, 09/13/2009

by Edna Gundersen

CHICAGO U2 deserves props for the prop, a menacing metallic four-pronged "claw" rising 150 feet from the stadium floor, its core a brilliant lighted pylon with a broad cylinder of interlocking LED panels. It looms over a massive stage with ramps and two steel bridges that sweep like clock hands around the light-rimmed circular runway.

At Saturday's launch of U2's 360 Tour, this War of the Worlds contraption seemed poised to dwarf the players, swamp the songs and squash any communal spark.

Such would be the fate of bands less disarming than U2, who since 1992's Zoo TV Tour again and again have triumphed over the fallow and vast acreage of stadiums. With 360, the band comes full circle to Zoo TV's high-tech/higher-hopes master plan with dazzling and daring production and, more important, songs and skills big enough to fill the space.

Over the course of 2 hours, the District 9 spectacle does on occasion overwhelm the musicians, but never the music. The Irish quartet works up a sweat pounding out a raw, spirited, briskly paced show built on a transcendent thunderous noise and bold, brash emotions, turning that cold, futuristic hulk into an unlikely transmitter of human passion.

The agenda is set with defiantly optimistic opener Breathe, the first of seven knockouts from 12th studio album No Line on the Horizon. The brazenly sexy Get On Your Boots, gorgeous Magnificent and cathartic Moment of Surrender are no less astonishing than such reliable showstoppers as Sunday Bloody Sunday and Pride (In The Name of Love).

While U2 primarily powers through seismic sonics from Elevation and Beautiful Day to Vertigo and a psychedelic City of Blinding Lights, the band creates pockets of aching intimacy in their cavernous workspace, particularly with the always heartbreaking One and a poignant Stuck In a Moment You Can't Get out Of, an acoustic duet with Bono and Edge, who briefly upstages his singing partner with a tender falsetto.

The band has never sounded stronger. Drummer Larry Mullen Jr. and bassist Adam Clayton drive the rhythms with a furious intensity. Edge's guitar remains a kaleidoscopic wonder. And Bono's tenor soars with an effortless grace and vigor. The sound? Full, crisp, crystalline, not the muddy echo typical of stadium rock shows.

No question, concerts at the local football field can be a logistical pain. U2 has fine-tuned the experience with fine tunes pouring from an extraterrestrial jukebox that manages to radiate charisma, warmth and imagination. It's a band that still gives you something you can feel. In a word, liftoff.

(c) USA Today, 2009.

I'm sorry but this is written as poorly as a negative review with no facts.  I've never laughed so hard.  Didn't realize U2 were God.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2009, 07:47:21 PM »
I was about 20 yards from the stage last night and the show was nothing less than spectacular. The stage was especially impressive; I didn't know much about it going in and that's the best way to see it because it throws a lot of cool effects and surprises your way when you least expect it.

Also, I finally got to hear Bad last night. Atlanta can't come soon enough! ;D

Offline spiriva21

• Babyface
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2009, 08:16:21 PM »
I was on the floor in the back, lots of room to move around and easy to get to restrooms and bar.  Sound was amazing, as was Bono's voice.  Setlist was predictable but BAD at the end of the main set was amazing.  As mentioned above, Bono did say something to Edge and Larry, a great addition and a nice surprise for the true fans.  I agree that some of the classic hits might be getting old and tired with the die hard fans, but playing in a stadium of that size they must be in the set!  I would prefer to hear some different songs but being there and watching crowd reaction most fans are there for the hits and that is when you can feel the energy. 

Totally agree about the outer circle, the band does not utilize this part of the stage like past tours.  There has to be a reason because Bono uses it probably the least besides Larry.  I have seen the band multiple times and the last 4 time during Vertigo, I was in the circle.  Thought this might be a let down being in the back of the floor, but the tour is amazing.  The stage is awesome, no matter how many pictures or videos you may have seen.  I thought the crowd was great, but mostly came alive during the hits.  Very few people recognized BAD, UV(Light My Way), or UF.  I guess this is understandable considering size of the crowd.  The band seemed to be having a blast and once again the sound was amazing.  Great night, show exceeded expectations.  BAD should be in the set every night, amazing.  MOS was a bit of a weak closer, but the bass is ridiculous, as mentioned above you can feel it through your whole body.  Here we come Boston!