Author Topic: Sunday Bloody Sunday question?  (Read 1695 times)

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
Sunday Bloody Sunday question?
« on: September 13, 2009, 05:08:55 PM »
Does anyone know what the hell Bono is singing on the last verse of SBS.  I've seen the show 3 times in Dublin and watched many youtube clips and can't make it out.  I wish he would just stick to the original lyric of (And it's true we are immune...).  It's sounds like he is just ranting and making words up.  It just throws everything off and kills the song.  He does this withe Streets too with a few lines and sometimes with Beautiful Day. I wish someone would tell him just stick to the original lyrics for all songs because when he tries to alter the lyrics this sometimes throws himself off as he then forgets the next line or sometimes misses a whole verse.

Offline kev346

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I'm ready I'm ready for the laughing gas
Re: Sunday Bloody Sunday question?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 05:23:06 PM »
Are you referring to the snippet of ' Oliver's Army ' by Elvis Costello and the Attractions ? he has been singing that regularly at the end or SBS this tour.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 05:33:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Are you referring to the snippet of ' Oliver's Army ' by Elvis Costello and the Attractions ? he has been singing that regularly at the end or SBS this tour.
I'm not familiar with Oliver's Army, but it must be it if he sings that as the last verse.  I just think it doesn't go well and and should just go back to the original lyric.  Does anyone else feel the same or don't care?  But thanks for the clarification. 

Luieu2

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 05:44:25 PM »
give me more snippets i love the snippets U2 have been doing snipets with there songs since 78 .
to me thats what makes them awsome they always say we are fans of music to,
if you dont wanto hear snippets listen to the albums ;)   

Offline kev346

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I'm ready I'm ready for the laughing gas
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 05:51:37 PM »
I'm not familiar with Oliver's Army, but it must be it if he sings that as the last verse.  I just think it doesn't go well and and should just go back to the original lyric.  Does anyone else feel the same or don't care?  But thanks for the clarification. 
Glad to help .
For me they could drop SBS altogether . i've never been a big fan of this song . so drop SBS and replace it with ' Bullet' . i don't mind Bono changing lyrics as that's what the live experience is all about taking the songs to different places .But it is a little bit annoying when he does this and then forgets what he's meant to be singing next.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 06:01:38 PM »
give me more snippets i love the snippets U2 have been doing snipets with there songs since 78 .

I don't like it when it replaces a whole original verse of the song and makes the song itself worse.  I don't mind snippets at the beginning or end of songs like Blackbird during beautiful day, Stand by me and the Michael Jackson snippets as they didn't replace any original lyrics.  I think everyone has paid good money to hear the songs as they were meant to be played and not butchered by snippets.   ;D

Luieu2

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »

I don't like it when it replaces a whole original verse of the song and makes the song itself worse.  I don't mind snippets at the beginning or end of songs like Blackbird during beautiful day, Stand by me and the Michael Jackson snippets as they didn't replace any original lyrics.  I think everyone has paid good money to hear the songs as they were meant to be played and not butchered by snippets.   ;D
will agree to disagree Boom  ;D

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 06:03:36 PM »
Glad to help .
For me they could drop SBS altogether . i've never been a big fan of this song . so drop SBS and replace it with ' Bullet' . i don't mind Bono changing lyrics as that's what the live experience is all about taking the songs to different places .But it is a little bit annoying when he does this and then forgets what he's meant to be singing next.

Exactly.  I too thing SBS should be dropped altogether.  Bring on Stand up Comedy.  and agree too that it is annoying when he forgets what comes next when he altars the lyrics.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 06:06:29 PM by boom boom »

andym

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 06:07:58 PM »
Its a live show, stuff happens as you make things up on the spur of the moment

listen to the cd on your ipod while you watch the show if you want

u2 play it live dude, bring on the snippets and made up lyrics

sometimes it works sometimes he falls over them and you feel sorry for the guy
but when it comes off thats what lifts you up.

Not many people can think on their feet and move lyrics around like he does

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 06:08:30 PM »

will agree to disagree Boom  ;D

I too will agree to disagree ;D

Luieu2

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 06:09:04 PM »

I agree with you 100% well said andym

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 06:18:16 PM »

It looks like he's falling over them more often than usual.  Let's face it, he is not getting any younger and messing around with the lyrics is quite frankly just going to mess him up.  I've seen U2 many times dated back to 1984 UF tour.  I know how powerful their live performance is.  I remember  being blown away as a 14 year kid watching U2 in Toronto in '84.  It seems he is just forgetting more than usual and adding snippets is just making him forget even more.  I'm not opposed to snippets as long as he just keeps the snippets as an intro to a song or to close out a song but not to actually replace any original lyrics or in the case of SBS  a whole ending verse it is fine.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 06:35:00 PM by boom boom »

Luieu2

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 09:58:14 PM »
i hate non U2 fans having a go at my Fave band U2 SBS should always be played live its part off U2 furniture  ;)

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 10:27:25 PM »
Again, needs ''SPOILER''