Author Topic: The u2 I know and love  (Read 3385 times)

Offline u2and

• Refugee
The u2 I know and love
« on: September 14, 2009, 10:01:10 AM »

This is the U2 I know and love - they dropped 'Pride' and played 'Your Blue Room' - beautiful.

Who cares if some of the audience didn't know it - maybe the one's who didn't will check it out.

Keep going chaps - maybe drop Streets too. Or Sunday Bloody Sunday - the subject matter is so specific it's hardly relevant now anyway.

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
Re: The u2 I know and love
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 10:14:50 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This is the U2 I know and love - they dropped 'Pride' and played 'Your Blue Room' - beautiful.

Who cares if some of the audience didn't know it - maybe the one's who didn't will check it out.

Keep going chaps - maybe drop Streets too. Or Sunday Bloody Sunday - the subject matter is so specific it's hardly relevant now anyway.

You're probably going to be crucified for suggesting to drop Streets. Just warning you.

Offline evilways811

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 10:26:45 AM »
Streets is old, and some might argue that it's a bit overplayed, but it should never be dropped. The amount of energy and euphoria the opening notes from Edge's guitar cause in a crowd, justifies it's place on the setlist every night.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 10:41:32 AM »
It's also not the U2 I know and love, given that Pride is, to me, the better song- and unquestionably the more popular. Ah well, I have no problem with playing YBR after all, good for those who like it, I'd just be a bit annoyed if I was at that gig.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 11:03:44 AM »
The U2 I know and love cares very deeply for their fans-probably more than any other group that I can think of! They will play for their oldest fans (me ;)) & their youngest. They will do their very best to please us all (though that is an impossible task!).  So you will hear New Year's Day and you will hear I'll Go Crazy Remix!!  I remember them as boys playing the album BOY and now after 22 years I am finally going back to a concert to see them live-as men. Men who are a class act. Men who are fathers & husbands raising wonderful children. Men who are trying to make this planet a little better place. Men who are musicians who respect and love their fans and try to give the very best of themselves in their music.

So I will go see them at Giants Stadium more excited than a 5 year old! I will be going to see 4  men that I have known since high school and we will  have a reunion with 70,000 of our closest friends. These 4 men will sing to each and every one of us like we were their only friend in the room. For two beautiful hours, we will all share the same initimate experience. We will all leave a bit different than when we came-bonded together as one.

I have my favorites but I really don't care what U2 sings that evening.

That is the U2 I know and love - SG

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 11:09:29 AM »
The U2 I know and love cares very deeply for their fans-probably more than any other group that I can think of! They will play for their oldest fans (me ;)) & their youngest. They will do their very best to please us all (though that is an impossible task!).  So you will hear New Year's Day and you will hear I'll Go Crazy Remix!!  I remember them as boys playing the album BOY and now after 22 years I am finally going back to a concert to see them live-as men. Men who are a class act. Men who are fathers & husbands raising wonderful children. Men who are trying to make this planet a little better place. Men who are musicians who respect and love their fans and try to give the very best of themselves in their music.

So I will go see them at Giants Stadium more excited than a 5 year old! I will be going to see 4  men that I have known since high school and we will  have a reunion with 70,000 of our closest friends. These 4 men will sing to each and every one of us like we were their only friend in the room. For two beautiful hours, we will all share the same initimate experience. We will all leave a bit different than when we came-bonded together as one.

I have my favorites but I really don't care what U2 sings that evening.

That is the U2 I know and love - SG

Oh great, thanks, SG, now everything everyone else posts looks far worse by comparison. -_-

...Seriously, that was.... very, very, very well said indeed. :)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 11:12:18 AM »
 :D :D :D  Thanks TUC ! I didn't mean to put down anyone else's posts at all.  I just felt a creative streak so I went with it!  ;D

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 11:45:11 AM »
Well said, SG.

Offline Molson1020

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 11:57:38 AM »
While "Pride" being dropped was a shock, I must say that I commend U2 for doing it and replacing it with lesser known songs. It was not missed one bit at last night's concert!

For you "older" fans, if you want to see a live version of Pride, go out and buy ANY live DVD they've done post UF and you'll see it. I love that they are trying out some new stuff instead of treading old water.

It reminds me of when I went to Springsteen two years ago with my friend. My mom and step dad also had tickets but they were in a different section. They left before the encore because "We were hoping he'd play all his hits!" To them, those would be Born to Run, Born in the USA, Dancing in the Dark. He's been playing those for 30 years now... let's try and mix things up a bit!

Offline u2and

• Refugee
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 12:22:24 PM »

You're probably going to be crucified for suggesting to drop Streets. Just warning you.

Crucified by the U2 mafia? Oh well.

I'm not suggesting the never play Pride or Streets, it's just so boring and predictable on every tour, every night, at the same time during the set.

Playing Your Blue Room is exciting because it's new to the set list. I loved hearing Out of Control on Elevation because they hadn't played it for ages. Thankfully they haven't overdone it and played it to death.

StrongGirl, that was very poetic and I dig the fact that you're so excited. I'm not entirely convinced U2 love and care very deeply for their fans but it's a nice thought!

Offline Achtung_Habs

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In the name of Love
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 12:34:16 PM »

I'm not suggesting the never play Pride or Streets, it's just so boring and predictable on every tour, every night, at the same time during the set.

Playing Your Blue Room is exciting because it's new to the set list. I loved hearing Out of Control on Elevation because they hadn't played it for ages. Thankfully they haven't overdone it and played it to death.

StrongGirl, that was very poetic and I dig the fact that you're so excited. I'm not entirely convinced U2 love and care very deeply for their fans but it's a nice thought!

Your blue room maybe was exciting for the hardcore fans, but when you watch the live video, the crowd fell totally asleep.

And Streets is the one song that gets each and everyone, hardcore and casual, young and old.  Everybody jumps out of their seat at the first note of the intro.  So no, if there is one song they should never drop, it's Streets

Offline u2and

• Refugee
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 12:43:15 PM »

Your blue room maybe was exciting for the hardcore fans, but when you watch the live video, the crowd fell totally asleep.

And Streets is the one song that gets each and everyone, hardcore and casual, young and old.  Everybody jumps out of their seat at the first note of the intro.  So no, if there is one song they should never drop, it's Streets

The crowd may have been listening? People who have never heard it might be turned on to the Passengers LP? The crowd didn't exactly go wild when they used to play Love is Blindness - it's not that kind of a song.

Streets doesn't get me going (actually it gets me going to the bar), and I know others who are bored by it too, so it doesn't appeal to everyone.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
I'm all for throwing in surprises into the setlist, I really wish they'd do it a bit more. They do have a predicament though; they're so big and these stadium shows have so many casual fans in attendance that they can't afford to forget their biggest hits altogether. They could rotate some of the older songs; throw in ASOH for Pride now and then for example. There need to be balance of course, but I think the inclusion of Ultraviolet and TUF on this tour shows that they don't need to rely so much on their classic songs. They should never do a huge show and leave out Streets, WOWY, One, Pride and SBS, that would be ridiculous. But there's definite scope to leave out one of them any night and throw in a curve ball.

Offline u2and

• Refugee
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 12:52:05 PM »
I'm all for throwing in surprises into the setlist, I really wish they'd do it a bit more. They do have a predicament though; they're so big and these stadium shows have so many casual fans in attendance that they can't afford to forget their biggest hits altogether. They could rotate some of the older songs; throw in ASOH for Pride now and then for example. There need to be balance of course, but I think the inclusion of Ultraviolet and TUF on this tour shows that they don't need to rely so much on their classic songs. They should never do a huge show and leave out Streets, WOWY, One, Pride and SBS, that would be ridiculous. But there's definite scope to leave out one of them any night and throw in a curve ball.

I hear you - but there are artists who play as big tours as U2 and resolutely refuse to play some of their biggest hits (think Springsteen and Radiohead).

Springsteen mixes ALL his gigs up a lot and Radiohead are so bloody minded, they seem to deliberately avoid some of their biggest tunes. Although that's why I love them.

Equally, a song like SBS is a little out of date given it's political content. I'd go as far as saying it seems distasteful to still be playing a song like that for entertainment when it's lyrics refer to a time long since past (thankfully)...

Offline jayb77

• Wanderer
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 12:56:15 PM »
OHHHH, YOUR SO LUCKY!!!!!!

i love your blue room, it is such a great song but i wish they would play drowning man as well.

i hope there more hidden gems when they come back to Europe.