Author Topic: The u2 I know and love  (Read 3383 times)

Offline u2and

• Refugee
Re: The u2 I know and love
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 01:01:20 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
OHHHH, YOUR SO LUCKY!!!!!!

i love your blue room, it is such a great song but i wish they would play drowning man as well.

i hope there more hidden gems when they come back to Europe.

YES! Drowning Man - they rehearsed it, why don't they play it.

Drowning Man is a song of such beauty, it's worth a thousand Prides or Streets...

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 01:30:41 PM »
I'm all for throwing in surprises into the setlist, I really wish they'd do it a bit more. They do have a predicament though; they're so big and these stadium shows have so many casual fans in attendance that they can't afford to forget their biggest hits altogether. They could rotate some of the older songs; throw in ASOH for Pride now and then for example. There need to be balance of course, but I think the inclusion of Ultraviolet and TUF on this tour shows that they don't need to rely so much on their classic songs. They should never do a huge show and leave out Streets, WOWY, One, Pride and SBS, that would be ridiculous. But there's definite scope to leave out one of them any night and throw in a curve ball.

I think U2 can easily do that and rotate them all.  The only problem I have with night two in Chicago is that elevation and ISHFWILF were played again.  I think NYD and Mysterious ways should have been there and then we have a rotation of 5 songs.  they are equal hits if not greater and have been in rotation.  so why stop rotating them now.

For me Streets has been dragging for a while.  I am excited to hear the One-Amazing Grace-Streets medley from last night because what has kept streets so powerful over the years has been the lead in.  On Zoo TV and Popmart the endings of RTSS and Please were so powerful you coudn't help but get swept into the emotion when streets started.  for me the Bad(40 snippet, I will not call it Bad/40 cause none of 40 but one line was played) and AIWIY on elevation and Pride on Vertigo killed Streets.  and the tutu video was killing it to too, I have this feeling it came back last night.  just a hunch but I think U2 realized they had a bad lead in.

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 01:39:29 PM »
I'm all for throwing in surprises into the setlist, I really wish they'd do it a bit more. They do have a predicament though; they're so big and these stadium shows have so many casual fans in attendance that they can't afford to forget their biggest hits altogether. They could rotate some of the older songs; throw in ASOH for Pride now and then for example. There need to be balance of course, but I think the inclusion of Ultraviolet and TUF on this tour shows that they don't need to rely so much on their classic songs. They should never do a huge show and leave out Streets, WOWY, One, Pride and SBS, that would be ridiculous. But there's definite scope to leave out one of them any night and throw in a curve ball.

I hear you - but there are artists who play as big tours as U2 and resolutely refuse to play some of their biggest hits (think Springsteen and Radiohead).

Springsteen mixes ALL his gigs up a lot and Radiohead are so bloody minded, they seem to deliberately avoid some of their biggest tunes. Although that's why I love them.

Equally, a song like SBS is a little out of date given it's political content. I'd go as far as saying it seems distasteful to still be playing a song like that for entertainment when it's lyrics refer to a time long since past (thankfully)...

Kinda like the Boss doing "47 Shots" or "The Ghost of Tom Joad".....

This debate can go on and on.  Plenty of fans want a mixed-up setlist; plenty of fans want the old warhorse hits.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 02:35:26 PM »
At the end of the day, it's about balance. U2 are NEVER going to drop most of the hits, and some fans will never stop complaining about that. But likewise, they're never going to do a tour without a few gems in there to sweeten the deal- and big chunks of the audience will continue to be turned off by those. Yes, the audience fell asleep for Your Blue Room. A pity, it's a lovely song. But it probably wasn't made for a stadium atmosphere. On the other hand, if the band like it, then why not?

There's no 'simple' answer, really, and that's what people lose sight of. Anyone who thinks they're going to do a set without, say, WOWY, SBS, Streets, One and Pride in one night is absoloutely fooling themselves- but so is any casual fan who thinks he'll go and have every single song be a rousing anthem which he'll know every word of. U2 are all about the balance!

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 03:59:55 PM »
OHHHH, YOUR SO LUCKY!!!!!!

i love your blue room, it is such a great song but i wish they would play drowning man as well.

i hope there more hidden gems when they come back to Europe.

YES! Drowning Man - they rehearsed it, why don't they play it.

Drowning Man is a song of such beauty, it's worth a thousand Prides or Streets...
i honestly think that the band weren't really happy with how drowning man was sounding and so even though they rehearsed it,i doubt that it will be played live on this tour otherwise they would have tried it on the european tour .

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 04:59:17 PM »
It does look like we won't ever be getting Drowning Man which is a shame, but on this tour we do have Unforgettable Fire, Ultraviolet, Walk On , Stay, MLK and now Your Blue Room making appearances. So the U2 we know and love are very much alive !

Luieu2

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2009, 07:40:46 PM »

This is the U2 I know and love - they dropped 'Pride' and played 'Your Blue Room' - beautiful.

Who cares if some of the audience didn't know it - maybe the one's who didn't will check it out.

Keep going chaps - maybe drop Streets too. Or Sunday Bloody Sunday - the subject matter is so specific it's hardly relevant now anyway.
i agree Your blue room was awsome .

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2009, 07:42:14 PM »
I don't think they have to play Pride, but replacing it with Your Blue Room was kind of a snooze. (Besides no being a true U2 song) A bunch of people took that chance to got the bar, and if the video wasn't so great I would have too. And after going to both shows, I hope they play Streets, ISHFWILF, Beautiful Day and SBS at every show I go to. I loved how SBS took on new life with the green claw for Iran. The U2 I know and love will play the songs that made me fall in love with their music in the first place.

Luieu2

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2009, 07:47:46 PM »
that what makes U2 so awsome ,when they play songs only fans know like Party girl a side b song and they do it well ,
they played  the fist time in melbourne 2006 it was the highlight for me keep playing rare songs i love it  ;)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 09:07:54 PM by Luieu2 »

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2009, 09:02:09 PM »
I might sound like a U2 snob, but really every song they do has their trademark sound, so I like them all. Once you hear Edge's guitar start, then Larry and Adam following, then Bono's vocals, wow, but I agree some of the great but overplayed songs could use the old switcharoo. My old fav is Another Time played loud. ;)

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2009, 09:30:41 PM »
:D :D :D  Thanks TUC ! I didn't mean to put down anyone else's posts at all.  I just felt a creative streak so I went with it!  ;D

StrongGirl's original post was sponsored in part by Kleenex: The softer tissue.

Well said SG. Btw...I heard last nights version of YBR on Youtube. Beautiful!

Offline u2and

• Refugee
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 02:53:39 AM »

I think U2 can easily do that and rotate them all.  The only problem I have with night two in Chicago is that elevation and ISHFWILF were played again.  I think NYD and Mysterious ways should have been there and then we have a rotation of 5 songs.  they are equal hits if not greater and have been in rotation.  so why stop rotating them now.

For me Streets has been dragging for a while.  I am excited to hear the One-Amazing Grace-Streets medley from last night because what has kept streets so powerful over the years has been the lead in.  On Zoo TV and Popmart the endings of RTSS and Please were so powerful you coudn't help but get swept into the emotion when streets started.  for me the Bad(40 snippet, I will not call it Bad/40 cause none of 40 but one line was played) and AIWIY on elevation and Pride on Vertigo killed Streets.  and the tutu video was killing it to too, I have this feeling it came back last night.  just a hunch but I think U2 realized they had a bad lead in.

I think you're right - rotate the set list. Keep it nice and fresh. That way, folk like me who like their lesser known tunes will be happy and the warm larger crowd who probably go to one gig a year and only own the 'Best of U2' will also be happy!

As for the Tutu intro, he is quite clearly an excellent human being. But there is something slightly comical about the way he speaks. So, it's best it goes...

Offline jono2u

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "i was born to sing for you"
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 07:12:48 AM »
The U2 i know and love will play whatever THEY want and not listen to the fans. If they are interested and motivated by the music then the performances will be exceptional - as anyone who has seen this tour so far will testify! play whatever you like guys - just keep on playing!  ;)

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2009, 03:03:23 PM »
The U2 I know and love cares very deeply for their fans-probably more than any other group that I can think of! They will play for their oldest fans (me ;)) & their youngest. They will do their very best to please us all (though that is an impossible task!).  So you will hear New Year's Day and you will hear I'll Go Crazy Remix!!  I remember them as boys playing the album BOY and now after 22 years I am finally going back to a concert to see them live-as men. Men who are a class act. Men who are fathers & husbands raising wonderful children. Men who are trying to make this planet a little better place. Men who are musicians who respect and love their fans and try to give the very best of themselves in their music.

So I will go see them at Giants Stadium more excited than a 5 year old! I will be going to see 4  men that I have known since high school and we will  have a reunion with 70,000 of our closest friends. These 4 men will sing to each and every one of us like we were their only friend in the room. For two beautiful hours, we will all share the same initimate experience. We will all leave a bit different than when we came-bonded together as one.

I have my favorites but I really don't care what U2 sings that evening.

That is the U2 I know and love - SG

Well said SG!   I couldn't agree more and w/ jonou2!  8)   And LMAO @ Gravy11's comment  :D
They really deliver and I for one can't complain about the setlists & what I've gotten.   I'm envious that Stay & UTEOTW was played the next night @ Chi2 but hearing Bad again was incredibly moving and sharing that with my crazybuds was even better!   8)

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2009, 03:29:09 PM »
The U2 I know and love cares very deeply for their fans-probably more than any other group that I can think of! They will play for their oldest fans (me ;)) & their youngest. They will do their very best to please us all (though that is an impossible task!).  So you will hear New Year's Day and you will hear I'll Go Crazy Remix!!  I remember them as boys playing the album BOY and now after 22 years I am finally going back to a concert to see them live-as men. Men who are a class act. Men who are fathers & husbands raising wonderful children. Men who are trying to make this planet a little better place. Men who are musicians who respect and love their fans and try to give the very best of themselves in their music.

So I will go see them at Giants Stadium more excited than a 5 year old! I will be going to see 4  men that I have known since high school and we will  have a reunion with 70,000 of our closest friends. These 4 men will sing to each and every one of us like we were their only friend in the room. For two beautiful hours, we will all share the same initimate experience. We will all leave a bit different than when we came-bonded together as one.

I have my favorites but I really don't care what U2 sings that evening.

That is the U2 I know and love - SG
Well said,

My personal choice would be to have more music from Pop or Auctung Baby. In fact, there is a long list of songs I would rather here the band play than the current playlist, if it were my choice to make. That said, this is U2! The concert as a single event will always surpass any one song. I feel comfortable that the playlist is going to have something for both me, who knows every U2 song, as well as my GF, who really does not know that much about the band other than what has been on the radio! I think if everyone just focuses on the event as a whole, and not song by song, then everyone is sure to have a great experience.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 06:25:39 PM by aurabender »