Author Topic: The u2 I know and love  (Read 3384 times)

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
Re: The u2 I know and love
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2009, 05:37:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The U2 i know and love will play whatever THEY want and not listen to the fans. If they are interested and motivated by the music then the performances will be exceptional - as anyone who has seen this tour so far will testify! play whatever you like guys - just keep on playing!  ;)

That theory depends on if you're sold on the fact that the band is actually playing what they want.  I for one don't buy that.  As a musician I get urges and just play stuff.  Once U2 starts a tour very little appears along the way outside of the usual suspects (NYD, UTEOTW, BAD, Mysterious Ways, etc).  Your Blue Room was a nice welcome surprise but come on you know they want to play other stuff.  It's just human nature.  U2 creates a show and then decides not to deviate much at all.  Many bands do that but that trend is starting to disappear.  Imagine if they opened their eyes to how great and deep their catalog is and how it would do wonders for them to open up a little and it would bring exposure to songs that casual fans might not know.  Make no mistake about it, dropping Pride last night was because they were bored and knew it was sounding flat.  I'm sure they have been contemplating if with the Larry side saying we have to play it and the Bono/Edge side saying lets give it a rest.  And it was the best decision of the tour so far.  Springsteen, REM, Radiohead, Dave Matthews, Pearl Jam - they all rotate quite heavily now in the internet age.  And they are megabands with many popular songs.  Last night was a start in the right direction.  All I've ever asked from U2 is to follow their gut a little more than their head.  That's how I evaluate bands in terms of if I want to see them live nowadays.  Not everyone does that but Im a huge live show collector of probably 50 bands or so and its just hard to get excited about U2 set lists.  If I want to see a show everyone else has seen I will go to Broadway and see a show with an essential plot.  For music, I want to know that I'm paying good money to see a band challenge themselves and trust their music and expect their audience to understand the catalog.  I think it would be amazing to see U2 come out of their "create the single best show mentality" and try something new other than a huge stage.  For the money they are making, they can easily have lighting ready to go for at least 50-60 songs and could easily work a little harder on the road.

Offline bw

• Refugee
  • Dreamed that I saw Dali with a supermarket trolley
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2009, 06:02:52 PM »
"Blue Room" does not work live when the crowd is essentially looking for constant energy. The song has no real momentum and is rather monotonous. Why sedate the crowd? It was an invitation to use the bathroom.

Luieu2

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2009, 06:26:40 PM »
"Blue Room" does not work live when the crowd is essentially looking for constant energy. The song has no real momentum and is rather monotonous. Why sedate the crowd? It was an invitation to use the bathroom.

it worked for me keep playing it U2  ;)

Luieu2

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2009, 06:49:07 PM »
the U2 i know evolve make every Album different they test them selfes they are creative innovators,
they wanto be the best they can be ,they give 100% for there fans all the time .
what i love about U2 is they believe in them selves when they started they were playing night clubs in USA now 90,000 fans see them.
and they still rock as hard as they did back then ,
the U2 i know have the best collection of music in the world no other rock band have a more wide ranging sound than U2 .
the U2 i know saved my life when i was 16 .
the U2 i know are played in my car and everyday.
the U2 i know are 4 guys who care about there fans.
the U2 i know are playing the songs for me whenever i want to hear them.
the U2 i know put a smile on my face everyday.
the U2 i know dont have a bad album.
The U2 i know are always there for me on my ipod.
The U2 i know no matter what anyone says about them they are still number to me.
The U2 i know drive my wife crazy LOL
the U2 i know are the soundtrack of my life.
The U2 i know will be played at my funeral when I'm gone.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2009, 07:42:39 PM »
I was there Saturday and Sunday night. LOVED hearing Bad, didn't really miss Pride. I was very frustrated about Your Blue Room. I'm a new fan and I've been trying for months to get a copy of "Passengers". So here comes a song I don't know, can't figure out. It kinda hurt to learn it was on that impossible album.

Otherwise I was thrilled with the setlist and the stage. The lads were in fine form.

I do have a request into my library for it on Interlibrary Loan.  :P Someday I'll own it...

Birdlover

Offline LaughingGas

• Refugee
  • "Your face pressed up against the glass"
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2009, 07:57:52 PM »
I almost got tears Strong Girl, thanks a lot! :'(

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2009, 09:36:02 PM »
The U2 i know and love will play whatever THEY want and not listen to the fans. If they are interested and motivated by the music then the performances will be exceptional - as anyone who has seen this tour so far will testify! play whatever you like guys - just keep on playing!  ;)
For the money they are making, they can easily have lighting ready to go for at least 50-60 songs and could easily work a little harder on the road.

I think you nailed it on the head Vervefloyd.  For the money they are making, .... they could easily work a little harder on the road.  I suspect that U2 are laughing all the way to the bank knowing they could put a little more effort into their setlists but instead choose to play it safe, EXCEPT when they feel their performances start to sound stagnant.  Case in point, look at the 3rd leg of the Joshua Tree tour, where they played the same basic setlist for 12 straight concerts between Oct 1st, 1987 in Montreal and Oct 26th, 1987 in Kansas City.  True, they did mix things up by playing different snippets with different songs but the setlist pretty much stayed the same during the month of October 1987.

Now for this tour, it's safe to say they've settled on 2-3 established set lists, with some minor tweaks here & there.  Bottom line, set list rigidity will probably be the norm for the rest of this tour.

Offline u2and

• Refugee
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2009, 01:46:09 AM »

Oh, so if you play a slow song (ie running to stand still, love is blindness etc), you've lost the crowd?

Maybe the crowd were watching and listening rather than punching the air along to Pride.