Author Topic: if a u2 member died or left, who should replace them?  (Read 5291 times)

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
Re: if a u2 member died or left, who should replace them?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 02:15:31 AM »
I initially would have said no-one. Having said that, as long as Bono and Edge were still there, I would buy any album of their work. It wouldn't be the same as U2, but it would still be good. If Larry left, the rest could do another Passengers with Eno, without fear of being lynched!

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 02:44:57 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
No one.  Ever.

Ditto!!!!!!!!

Agreed!

How could you be talking about this?????????

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 03:07:22 AM »
I don't think they'd continue, out of the respect for the departing member, but I could be wrong.

daveyg

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 03:07:44 AM »
Well just look at other bands who have had member leave for whatever reason and replaced them. INXS, Big Country are two that come to mind. And two bands that are still playing and have replaced their bassists - Bon Jovi and the Rolling Stones - but haven't had a worldwide hit since the early 90s (I was a teen of the 80s - sigh - when these two bands were huge and I could sing (badly) their latest tunes in those days to you!).

There's a dynamic between the four guys of U2 that would make any four of them irreplaceable. If any of the four of them were to be replaced either through a death, arguement, getting fed up, getting fired, or whatever, any reulting new album would be lost in the depths of U2 history and probably only discected by us U2 annoracks.

EDIT: As a test, name me (especially the teens of thsi forum) three hits of Def Leopard, INXS, Bon Jovi, and Big Country since 1993. Hard pushed to name one - and they have released matrial since, and have toured!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 03:12:18 AM by daveyg »

Boom Cha!

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 11:37:50 AM »
EDIT: As a test, name me (especially the teens of thsi forum) three hits of Def Leopard, INXS, Bon Jovi, and Big Country since 1993. Hard pushed to name one - and they have released matrial since, and have toured!

Bon Jovi: It's My Life (2000), Have A Nice Day (2005), Who Says You Can't Go Home (2006)

I live in the states, so I don't know if they were or weren't hits where you live.

By the way, I've never heard of Big Country.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 11:40:07 AM by Boom Cha! »

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 11:57:08 AM »
U2 are an Irish band. They are unique in that sense if no other. No way an American or a Canadian or a Brit or a what have you could fill that void.

Why not ? 2 members are merely naturalized Irish, in terms of birthplace or blood they are as Irish as George Bush or Barack Obama !

eurydice

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 12:49:29 PM »
I've never really thought about who should replace a member of U2.

But, back in 1989, when Pete de Freitas (drummer with Echo & the Bunnymen) died I can remember thinking "that would be a good gig for Larry." Keep in mind, this was during that dark time when it seemed U2 were no longer.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2009, 01:12:30 PM »
If a band member dies, U2 as an entity dies. Everything that U2 produces is a result of those 4 friends and their collective genius.

Offline Alex

• Wanderer
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2009, 02:37:11 PM »

Bon Jovi: It's My Life (2000), Have A Nice Day (2005), Who Says You Can't Go Home (2006)

I live in the states, so I don't know if they were or weren't hits where you live.

: clap clap clap :  ;D

Offline evel12314

• Elevated
  • Squeeze out sparks of light.
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 03:21:58 PM »

By the way, I've never heard of Big Country.

Exactly what I would have said...

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009, 09:43:05 PM »
A touch of reality here. By and large, the sound of a rock band is most defined by the lead vocals and lead guitar.

Nobody really sounds like Bono, so I would not want to hear another singer do U2 songs in some future version of the band.

David Gilmour could replace The Edge. There, I said it and I think Edge would be flattered with that choice. Gilmour can do everything Edge can do on guitar and he has a great voice.

Drummers and bass players are drummers and bass players. Neither add vocals, so that leaves a lot of doors open. If another drummer and/or another bass player sat in and recorded with U2 rather than Larry or Adam, 99% of us fans would never know if we weren't told. That's no disrespect to either of them, that is the way things are.

Lots of bands have had member changes and gone on to great success. While I strongly prefer that U2 does not become one of that lot, I think sticking my head in the sand and refusing to acknowledge that possibility does no good.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2009, 01:45:40 AM »

David Gilmour could replace The Edge. There, I said it and I think Edge would be flattered with that choice. Gilmour can do everything Edge can do on guitar and he has a great voice.

Maybe Edge would but I cant buy that to be honest. The four guys together make the U2 sound - I personally think deeprooted stuff gets them there. Its the equivalent of playing for the jersey in a football team. I'm sure U2 could still be successful with Dave Gilmour but a piece of the U2 identity and heritage would be gone.

Offline pudgie_child

• Babyface
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2009, 07:17:53 PM »
The Edge is the only member of U2 who is indispensable.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2009, 09:06:34 AM »

Come on ! You're talking about technique & skills, no one SOUNDS like The Edge.

Seriously, I think that U2 will die with any band member.

However, the 4 band members, I feel, are irreplacable for songwriting BUT Adam or Larry could be replaced in a live setting. Remember Adam already has.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2009, 09:17:56 AM »

Drummers and bass players are drummers and bass players.

You do a huge disservice to the likes of Neil Peart, Geddy Lee, John Bonham, Flea, etc.

I could go on and on, but won't. Certainly Adam and Larry are easily replaceable, but many others aren't.

Also, singers and guitar players can be just as replaceable. Ozzy was easily replaced in Sabbath, Slash isn't on the new Guns'n'Roses, Deep Purple replaced Blackmore and changed singers on a fairly regular basis, AC/DC, etc .