Author Topic: Experience from the back of the floor  (Read 1844 times)

Offline chefconti

• Babyface
Experience from the back of the floor
« on: September 15, 2009, 06:53:08 AM »
Hello.  My wife and I are both on the shorter side.  So, I was wondering, if we don't get in the inner circle, what is the overall experience (sound, sight, crowds, etc.) from the back of the floor?  If we end of 5 or 10 back on the outside, we'll spend the whole night staring at someone's head, so I'm thinking it might be more enjoyable to stand towards the back.  Thoughts?  Thanks.

Offline thezooexplosion

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: Experience from the back of the floor
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 10:58:40 AM »
At Sunday's show the GA crowd didn't extend too far back from the stage so there should be a lot of breathing room in front of the sound booth. In fact the sound is much much better back there. Definitely worth while to see a show from there.

Offline southsy

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 02:05:28 PM »
I brought my five foot five daughter and we were closer to the front, maybe 10 people from the catwalk. We were still able to find a nice spot where she could see the stage, and of course the screen is huge. There are a surprising number of shorter folks and kids on the floor-- it's not all giants!

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 03:26:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hello.  My wife and I are both on the shorter side.  So, I was wondering, if we don't get in the inner circle, what is the overall experience (sound, sight, crowds, etc.) from the back of the floor?  If we end of 5 or 10 back on the outside, we'll spend the whole night staring at someone's head, so I'm thinking it might be more enjoyable to stand towards the back.  Thoughts?  Thanks.

The perfect spot for you, is not inside the inner circle. It's outside at the rail, no one in front of you. But to getin here you gotta Q up early.

The procedure seems to vary from venue to venue, but in Dublin, all the early Quers,got into the inner circle, but to get to the spot I speak off, you had to walk to the other side of the circle and come back around to face the stage at the rail.  Most people who get into the circle stay in there, but if you are smart, you will do what I suggest.

Offline Matty_Mullens

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "Brevity is the essence of wit" Brian Eno-1984
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 05:06:39 PM »
My two friends were inner circle Sat. Night.  I was outer rail.  Outer rail gets you a better view of everything.  I would definetly not suggest inner circle for shorter people.  Sincerely, any spot on the field is great.  You won't know how big the claw is until you arrive inside of your stadium ;)

Offline justinluey

• Stateless
  • "Dream Out Loud, at high volume" - Bono
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 09:13:06 PM »
If you get in the inner circle, can you leave part way through to see it from a different perspective?

Offline XpleaseX

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 09:16:28 PM »
If you get in the inner circle, can you leave part way through to see it from a different perspective?
I would assume yes.  I as in the inner circle for Chicago the second night and I noticed a lot of people around me (Adam's side of the stage) walked out of it.  You couldn't really see the video screen that well without looking straight up. 

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 09:20:31 PM »

The perfect spot for you, is not inside the inner circle. It's outside at the rail, no one in front of you. But to getin here you gotta Q up early.

The procedure seems to vary from venue to venue, but in Dublin, all the early Quers,got into the inner circle, but to get to the spot I speak off, you had to walk to the other side of the circle and come back around to face the stage at the rail.  Most people who get into the circle stay in there, but if you are smart, you will do what I suggest.

Thanks for that word of advice, but this is about as hard for me to get as my husband instructions when he sends me to a hardware store.  :-[

Offline achtung jeff

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 12:46:54 PM »
if you make it inside the circle, go to the top of the circle and lean against the rail (you back will be to rest of stadium). It's the best place to see the show - short or tall. You can see the boys, you can see the screen, and when they come strolling down the circle, all you have to do is turn around and you've got a front row seat. All the boys walk along the circle at least once. Bono & Edge do it 3-5 times, Adam -2, Larry with his bongo once. Also - you're close enough to see their faces & expressions and get good pix without getting caught behind some tall, sweaty, drunk guy. If you can't get along the inside rail, then the outside rail in similar location. It's a little more crowded but it is great too.

Bring extra batteries and make sure your memory card is empty...

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 06:15:41 PM »
if you make it inside the circle, go to the top of the circle and lean against the rail (you back will be to rest of stadium). It's the best place to see the show - short or tall. You can see the boys, you can see the screen, and when they come strolling down the circle, all you have to do is turn around and you've got a front row seat. All the boys walk along the circle at least once. Bono & Edge do it 3-5 times, Adam -2, Larry with his bongo once. Also - you're close enough to see their faces & expressions and get good pix without getting caught behind some tall, sweaty, drunk guy. If you can't get along the inside rail, then the outside rail in similar location. It's a little more crowded but it is great too.

I think I see where the confusion might be. By "rail," do you mean against the outer circle?

Offline achtung jeff

• Wanderer
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 08:50:44 AM »

I think I see where the confusion might be. By "rail," do you mean against the outer circle?

Yes. the rail is the waist-high steel fence that lines the circle stage (inside and out). Good luck!

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 10:01:01 AM »
I'm 5'3 and was in the inner circle on Edge's side off slightly to the side, with a great sightline and no crush. 
The further back you go from the stage is better too for a couple reasons:  1) There's less of a crush & more space to move around; and 2) You see more  since the stage is elevated ( about 5.5 feet up), and you don't want to crane your neck too much to see the screens. 

So Falling had great advice for outer circle rail or you could go inner circle near the back rail ( back of the circle).   
I'm glad I did inner circle b/c you can come & go for bathroom breaks before the band hits the stage.  ( After too but I don't like to miss anything). 

Good luck!