Author Topic: Bono's observation on the Rolling Stones  (Read 1637 times)

Offline morph

• Refugee
Bono's observation on the Rolling Stones
« on: January 08, 2009, 05:28:40 PM »
This is perhaps going to just make sense to people that have read the Q article, but in it Bono cites the breakdown of the relationship between Richards and Jagger as the reason the Stones are doing the Greatest Hits treadmill and not continuing to make vital music like.

While I agree that the Stones have never bettered what they did in the late 60s (and to a degree the early 70s) I'm not sure if this is a fair criticism of Bono's. If you listen to a Stones cover like 'Midnight Rambler' it's clear that the songwriting partnership was only part of the Stones magic from that era.

I think it's more of the case that, in the end, the Stones wanted an easy ride and a healthy bank balance.

Either way, the Q interviews are good and worth getting!

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Bono's observation on the Rolling Stones
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 06:05:47 PM »
It was a bold statement, saying their creative partnership, effectively ended a few decades ago. I saw them live in 2007, and they were crap, I still wonder why i went, b ut rhey looked tired, bored, and left me completely uninspired. Thats not somehting I can say about any   U2 gig I have attended.Bono was right on the money on this point.

And the another gret thing about the Q interview was the fact that he was laughing at himself - that he is tired on Bono and he is him.