Author Topic: A Personal Thank You for Chicago  (Read 2856 times)

Offline CGE

• Precious Stone
  • Without TUF there never would have been JT- Edge
A Personal Thank You for Chicago
« on: September 15, 2009, 07:28:47 PM »
Dear U2,

Long time fan here. I attended both Chicago 1 and Chicago 2.
I would like to take a moment here to thank you.  Those were shows 4 and 5 for me - spread over a 25 year period. Saturday night was freakin' amazing and I could not believe my good fortune at being able to be there. I thought that nothing would be able to top that show. But then, you came out on the stage Sunday, 9/13, and decided to give everyone in that stadium a true gift. You put on the show of your lives. You reached inside and gave to us, your fans, the treat of our lives. Edge really was on fire, Larry was into the bongo, Adam was into playing for my friends who were right in front of him, and Bono sang his heart out.
There were too many fantastic moments and I am still processing the greatness of the show. Every song was great, and the amazing thing was it just kept getting better and I didnt think you were going to stop. And then at the end the whole band gave the most special gift of the evening. MOS was beyond words. I felt like I was watching you just play the song in a studio session. That song, at that moment, was better than the album cut. It was the third time I had heard it live in three weeks and I dont even think it was the same song I heard in the UK or at Chicago 1. Bono, your passionate singing gave us all the best present a U2 fan could want.
You were true to your word at the start. We did hear something new, something old, and something for the very first time. Chicago 2 was the show I have always dreamed of attending. It was concert dvd worthy. I cant believe I was there.
Thank you for giving your music to the world. And thank you for two fantastic, memorable nights in Chicago.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Re: A Personal Thank You for Chicago
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 07:34:06 PM »
SG stands and claps for an amazing summary from CGE!!  Your heartfelt thoughts are just lovely to read. It is refreshing to see positive comments!!!

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 07:44:37 PM »
CGE, that was Magnificent! You said it better than I ever could. Yes, they shone like stars in the summer night on Sunday!

Birdlover

Offline K2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • light my way
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
I was there for both shows too and second your beautiful comments. I loved how subtle changes in the set list made each concert seem completely different to me - I appreciate the respect shown to fans like me who see more than one show and take special joy in discovering a new song or something familiar done in a different way.

Offline LaughingGas

• Refugee
  • "Your face pressed up against the glass"
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 07:48:47 PM »
I got goosebumps :)  You just made me so excited for Vegas on October 23!  Thank you!

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 10:16:14 PM »
Cantgetenoughu2 what an awesome sentiment!  Happy you had a great time!

I had to giggle and am now wondering if anyone got married last weekend there.
Something old, something new, something borrowed ( snippets) and of course something    :) BLUE.

umm sorry the little leprchaun on my shoulder made me do it    ;D
my apologies-- long day-- overtired--  sleep now!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 10:18:20 PM by whitewave »

Offline bradc

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 07:44:57 AM »
Hey Chicago guys....what time did they actually hit the stage?  Started at 7, with warmup band...what time did U2 get on?  Trying to plan my meadowlands night!

countrygirl

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 07:56:33 AM »
CGE, that was beautiful! And somehow, I didn't think it was possible, but now I am even more excited and restless for my show on oct. 1st.

Offline MirrorballMoon

• Running to Stand Still
  • "Just wait until you get to Minneapolis!" - Bono
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 08:14:51 AM »
Hear, hear!!!  Well said, CGE!!  Saturday night was my first U2 show, and I loved it, but Sunday was simply magical . . . everything flowed together so well, the band seemed so "present" with us . . . just incredible.  It was also (unfortunately) my last show of this leg, but since I can't follow them around the continent at least I got to be there for that AMAZING show.

Offline ME2

• Wanderer
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 08:22:51 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hey Chicago guys....what time did they actually hit the stage?  Started at 7, with warmup band...what time did U2 get on?  Trying to plan my meadowlands night!

8:40ish - once you hear Major Tom, you'd better be in your seats.  Of course, you won't actually sit in them for the next 2 plus hours!   ;D

Offline The Wanderer

• Party Girl/Boy
  • U2360 Stage for Babies
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 08:40:41 AM »
Snow Patrol is a great opening act.  The best I have seen for U2 so far, the title that was actually held by Kanye until the past weekend. 

By 8:35 I would get buckeled into your seat. And be prepared to not move for the next 2 and half hours. 

I enjoyed hanging around the stadium at the end of the second show to see how to distmantel an atomic bomb.

The show is now in the hands of the Torontonians.  Treat it well. 

Offline MrsBrown

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 09:32:33 AM »

8:40ish - once you hear Major Tom, you'd better be in your seats.  Of course, you won't actually sit in them for the next 2 plus hours!   ;D

"Space Oddity"--and man does that sound good on that little speaker system they've got.

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 09:34:47 AM »
Rose Bowl here I come! Awesome post about the Chicago show!

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 10:37:04 AM »

If Muse is the opening act, I wouldn't skip. Not sure if you've seen any videos of them live, but they are really good.

Offline dubzoo

• Wanderer
  • Every poet is a thief!
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 10:41:50 AM »
WOW! Awesome post. I am so happy you said the words you said. For me, it was my 17th and 18th shows. I have been following them for 20 years as well and finally moved from nose bleed seats to the inner sanctum. I have never had a chance to get this close the band for a show. At 40+, you have little interest in standing in line for GA, especially during the Elevation/Vertigo years. This weekend was different. A much bigger inner sanctum. Again, great nights out!

Thanks for the post!