Author Topic: *May contain spoilers* U2... please shake up setlist for NA Leg  (Read 2658 times)

Offline MrMacphisto2

• Stateless
*May contain spoilers* U2... please shake up setlist for NA Leg
« on: September 15, 2009, 07:58:37 PM »
Please U2, the set needs to be changed. Heres what I think it should be. I know it is very unlikely but i think it would be awesome:

1. FEZ/Being Born - the band enters from under the sage bono enters like he did for COBL in vertigo, but instead sing 1st verse on outer ring
2. No Line On the Horizon
3. Magnificient- I think this song flows ver ynicely with...
4. Beautiful Day
5. Elevation- ATYCLB version
6. Get On Your Boots- with usual intro
7. Vertigo- I think boots and vertigo are similar. these flow nicley after one another.bono sings from one ramp edge plays from other. they have black smoke-ish stuff so it looks like video. that would be cool
8. City of Blinding Lights- After song lights go out but adams bass keeps playing. bono quikly changes into ultraviolet suit.
9. Ultraviolet- no steering wheel mic...at least for this song
10. The Fly- elevation version bono wears ultraviolet suit and brings back thefly glasses. for this song bono has steering wheel mic. at end of song bono swings from outer ring back onto the stage.
11. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
12. Mysterious Ways
* Space CHat
13. Electrical Storm/ Your Blue Room * with atronauts singing
14. Until the End of the World- which segues into
15. Breathe
16. IGCIIDGCT
17. UK/ SUC
18. TUF/ NYD
19. Pride
20. MLK/Streets
21. One
22. Acrobat
23. MOS
24. Please
25. BAD w/ 40

Offline Mysterious Ways and Means

• Babyface
Re: *May contain spoilers* U2... please shake up setlist for NA Leg
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 08:47:57 PM »
This looks great.    They are really missing the boat by not opening with Fez/Being Born.     

I listened to the live Sheffield broadcast and there are some major problems with Bono on this tour.    WTSHNN is horrid.    I mean, if you cant do that one or TUF justice, dont play them.   Those songs are f------ sacred and dont deserve the crap renditions Bono is giving them.         

Offline munkeybrains

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 10:32:35 PM »
bravo for your choices.  rather, bravo your choices and their positions in the setlist being exactly as I had imagined way back in march.

i was hoping they would concentrate solely on
nloth
passengers
pop
zooropa
achtung
unforgettable fire.

this is blasphemy, but i was hoping they would jettison all joshua tree songs, including the sacred 'streets'.  that would have been a bold move.

i have problems with nloth as an album, i think the sequencing is off.  i hate unknown caller, moment of surrender, and especially boots.  i was hoping for a 'darker' tone to this show to match some of the darker tones lurking just underneath the hope on nloth. 
i was hoping for a career destroying we don't give a flip genius record.  i got half of a brilliant record.  i'm happy enough.  however i would have liked eno more out front, and u2 more in the background.  that's just my preference.

i would have done it like this:

1. fez/being born - yes, exactly as you said, but with the video screen shrouding the stage, lights on the audience.  larry is on drums but we can't see him.  the other three at three, nine and 12 o clock on the catwalk for the whole song but silhouetted, facing away from the inner circle.  towards the end, the cylinder rises in light and they enter the space ship and rip into
2. no line
3. magnificent
4. beautiful day - ok the kiddies get that one.
5. elevation - ok the kiddies get that one too.
6. city of blinding lights - ok the kiddies get this one too, and one more for the non-hardcore fans later on...
7. mlk / unforgettable fire  put mlk here.
8. one - screw things up, put it here.  the tour is already sold out, stadium shows are a dying breed, why bother worrying?
9. sort of homecoming
10. white as snow - why aren't they playing one of the best songs on the record?
11. your blue room - should be right before
12. electrical storm
13. if god would send his angels
14. ok, kite, i love this song.  more than walk on.
15. until the end of the world -- and you are correct to segue into
16. breathe -- so hopeful, got me through a deep depression this spring, hated it the first time i heard it, but it saved my soul, their most overtly christian song in forever, and i actually found grace inside this song, and i found grace and that's all i found.  this year everything else fell away from my life, friends, job, health, home.  and there is truly no line on my horizon.  i may actually die or i may actually not die, i am fine with the former, and not so fine with the latter but am learning to live again, i have no reason to go back and i don't know what's what.  end of digression.
17. staring at the sun, maybe.
18. please - close main set with this.

encore

19. zooropa
20. mofo
21. fly
22. discoteque
23. vertigo - last one for the kiddies.
23. wake up dead man

encore
24. ultraviolet
25. dirty day - seque into
26. acrobat
27. cedars of lebanon

alternate work in /second night songs could be
mysterious ways
love is blindness
lemon (especially if they MUST do crazy and/or boots and didn't drop those two duds)
lady with the spinning head!!!!!!!!
bad
zoo station
real thing
stay - for once a full band version -- no acoustic this tour for anything spaceships should have amplifiers!
gone - sounds great live
indian summer sky / wire - would be great to hear these again

i wanted to see some adventure and real risk, for one of the last of the big stadium tours.  might as well kill the dinosaur off while giving the ones who've deeply loved these four guys for 3/4 their lives, for 25 + years, one last thrill before our hearing and knees and backs and mortgages prevent us from going to these sorts of events.

and is it me or does larry have wrinkles now?  i'm not saying he looks old.  he doesn't look mid to late 40's, he just looks like a 16 year old with wrinkles.  bono's turning into the stocky fireplug stage of his life, which makes him sexy in a brand new way.  edge has one of those ageless irish faces, when he's a wrinkled prune, he will still look like an imp who just got caught doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing.  and of course adam was born to age beautifully.  he is close to surpassing larry in gorgeous sexiness.  wait till he's sixty.  he'll be liz taylor or sean connery, who are not ageless but who look stunning whatever the age.

and on that closing thought, this is adam's album.  too bad only half of it is a classic, and none of it was the 'frak you all!' they should do every second album.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 10:47:30 PM by munkeybrains »

Offline mtl_11

• Refugee
  • beaten and blown by the wind
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 11:57:25 PM »
you guys are never happy. not everyone at a U2 concert is a die-hard...so you cant expect them to play some of the songs you mentioned.  for example..lady with the spinning head.

im about to go to my first u2 concert september 17, and if i dont hear streets, there will be hell to pay, i dont care if bono cant perform it or not.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 12:09:18 AM »
Celebrations in order! The 1,000,000th setlist thread!

Attention K-Mart shoppers...

satellitedog01

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 01:57:12 AM »
Although I love the suggested list:
"10. The Fly- elevation version bono wears ultraviolet suit and brings back thefly glasses. for this song bono has steering wheel mic. at end of song bono swings from outer ring back onto the stage. "
"13. Electrical Storm/ Your Blue Room * with atronauts singing"
both had me laughing... we can't stop here, this is bat country again...

Also you've placed a lot of vocally extremely demanding songs at the last third of the concert, which wouldn't really sound that good, considering Bono would get a bit too tired to sing Bad as last encore and Breathe and Crazy right after one another, after the middle of the set... with NYD, or TUF following Actually, he would never have been able to sing this setlist properly... Maybe sometime during Lovetown, but only maybe.

But fun suggestions nonetheless.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 05:39:01 AM »
I just hope they play Drowning Man and IGWSHA, I'm itching to hear how those will sound. And off the new album, Stand Up Comedy, Fez/Being Born and White As Snow should all be played at some point, what a missed opportunity it'll be if they never play them.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 05:57:23 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
you guys are never happy. not everyone at a U2 concert is a die-hard...so you cant expect them to play some of the songs you mentioned.  for example..lady with the spinning head.

im about to go to my first u2 concert september 17, and if i dont hear streets, there will be hell to pay, i dont care if bono cant perform it or not.

but die hards are not upset about missing a song.  streets in my mind is no more sacred then any song they ever wrote.  what we seek is nightly shake ups and U2 doing what other big bands of their era have started to do and stay one step ahead of the internet/twitter culture.

did anyone see what elvis costello did with U2 last night, or should I say what Elvis did before U2 came out?  Please, Dirty Day and Mysterious Ways.  Maybe that will show the band something.  I read a quote years ago where Bono said he thought it would be nice to bring Dirty Day back.

countrygirl

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 06:01:18 AM »
I agree, Fez would be awesome as an opener!!!

Offline The Wanderer

• Party Girl/Boy
  • U2360 Stage for Babies
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 08:42:34 AM »
Those of you with setlist suggestions....have you seen the show live yet? And I am not talking youtube.

If you haven't, I ask that you give it a chance.

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 09:50:35 AM »
its makes me laugh when people come up with these  setlists, they try to list the most rare songs as they can without actually thinking how they would work within the live show(acrobat for one) and when its unrealistic to think that they are going to play it.i know people have been complaining about the setlists from the start of the tour,i for one was one of them but as somebody said before when you actually see the show live you completely forget about what you wanted them to play and just get completely sucked into the show and the band playing.my wife a veteran of 40 live shows was not feeling it at all this time around but as soon as the band hit the stage in cardiff forget it man ,the band won her over in no time and completely blew us away.to think that half way through a tour the band are completely going to rip the setlist a apart and throw in rare and never played songs and change it up ,its just not gonna happen,so just get on with enjoying seeing this show because its mindblowing  :)

Offline its a private show

• Babyface
  • it's a private show
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 02:55:05 PM »
well said.....you cant please everyone...

Offline beau99

• Stateless
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 04:15:33 PM »
Uh... my thoughts:

While I consider myself a 'die-hard' fan, the upcoming show in PHX will be my very first U2 concert. While I'd love to hear some rare songs, I also want to hear the hits.

Except for maybe WOWY... Bono sounds so bored in the recent versions of it.

Offline jjazznola

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 04:35:43 PM »
I agree with all of your setlists although I do agree they can only play so many rare songs. I am however kind of bummed out looking at the safe setlists they are doing. My Blue Room is a nice addition and they did finally drop Pride the other night but come on. Time to retire SBS , WOWY and ISHFWILF. Not plaing FEZ/Being Born? When I first heard the new album, the 1st thing I envisioned was hearing this song live, most likely as the opener. Breathe as an opener? The new album seems like 2 different albums joined together. The old school U2 anthem rock mixed with the Eno/Lanois stuff which I have to admit, I prefer. They have this hi-tech stage and sound system but yet they drag out the same old war horses. The Edge talked about surprises like Luminous Times before the tour. What happened? They rehearsed Drowning Man but have yet to play it. If I could hear one song next week in NJ, it would be Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me. I'm not holding my breath! I'll go to both shows and have a good time and enjoy whatever they play but I'll always think it could've been a lot more interesting.

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 06:23:01 PM »
Not crazy about the set list, but I am glad you put some tracks from Pop and Zooropa in there. It is a shame the band has pretty much abandoned those two disks