Author Topic: *May contain spoilers* U2... please shake up setlist for NA Leg  (Read 2628 times)

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
Re: *May contain spoilers* U2... please shake up setlist for NA Leg
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 07:01:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Uh... my thoughts:

While I consider myself a 'die-hard' fan, the upcoming show in PHX will be my very first U2 concert. While I'd love to hear some rare songs, I also want to hear the hits.

Except for maybe WOWY... Bono sounds so bored in the recent versions of it.

I've always viewed hits in I think different ways then other people.  I didn't grow up listening to music radio, only talk radio and I don't let popular media decide for me what a bands best songs are.  I occasionally listened to classic rock in my late teens when the radio was on at different jobs I worked at.  I always hated watching awards show and in fact had no interest in U2 based on the songs from the JT which were hard to avoid since they were on practically every media outlet in the late 80's.  I got into U2 after hearing One at a party and then went out and bought the whole catalog the next day without really knowing what "hits" were or even that many songs of theirs.  so for me i was immediately drawn to tracks 10-12 on achtung baby and the rawness of the first 3 albums and the experimental nature of the unforgettable fire, but pride always irritated me so I'd skip over track 2.  so for me and how i've grown up I don't consider any U2 songs hits at all.  I understand people have attachments to commercial hits, but frankly I'm stunned when reading this board how many people rank WOWY, Streets, ISHFWLF and Pride in their top 10 songs.  I have my own personal hits but whether I see them live or not doesnt matter to me.  I just want to see U2 challenging themselves and exploring their catalog and not turning their back on some of the stuff they have done.

Offline JoshTucson

• Babyface
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 11:02:34 PM »
I would love to hear IN GOD'S COUNTRY FOR THE PHOENIX SHOW since they always add a snippet to the shows here for that song, it is about the Southwestern part of the US!

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 11:29:44 PM »
I'm just so glad that Stuck in a Moment was given the boot tonight.

MAY IT NEVER RETURN.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 06:38:02 AM »

Listen to WOWU from Milan 7th july ,  it is impossible that it can't move you . Really saddened by the people wanting to drop wowu , the crescendo at the end of the song when the whole crowd sing at the top of their voices is a wonder of the world!!

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 10:10:40 AM »
I'm just so glad that Stuck in a Moment was given the boot tonight.

MAY IT NEVER RETURN.

Stuck (acoustic) was absolutely beautiful and I got a bit teary during it so I couldn't disagree with you more. 

Offline MrMacphisto2

• Stateless
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 06:21:11 PM »
Here's another good one. For this i stacked the begining with No line material and less "rare" songs.

1. FEZ/ Being Born
2. No Line On the Horizon
3. Get On Your Boots
4. Breathe
5. Stand Up Comedy ( Oh, Yes!)
6. I'll Go Crazy ( Normal Version)
7. Magnificient
8. New Year's Day/ I Still ...

Acoustic Set

9. Drowning Man/ One Tree Hill
10. Stay
11. Stuck In A  Moment
12. Staring at the Sun

Back to normal

13. Until the End of the World
14. The Fly/ Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
15. Ultraviolet
16. City of Blinding...
17. Vertigo
18. Beautiful Day
19. Pride
20. MLK (Wich segues into ) Where the Streets Have No Name
21. One
22. Bad w/ 40 (Snippet)

*Encore

23. Unknown Caller
24. White As Snow
25. Moment of Surrender

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
  • I'm 25, trying to stay alive.....
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 09:14:35 AM »
bravo for your choices.  rather, bravo your choices and their positions in the setlist being exactly as I had imagined way back in march.

i was hoping they would concentrate solely on
nloth
passengers
pop
zooropa
achtung
unforgettable fire.

this is blasphemy, but i was hoping they would jettison all joshua tree songs, including the sacred 'streets'.  that would have been a bold move.

i have problems with nloth as an album, i think the sequencing is off.  i hate unknown caller, moment of surrender, and especially boots.  i was hoping for a 'darker' tone to this show to match some of the darker tones lurking just underneath the hope on nloth. 
i was hoping for a career destroying we don't give a flip genius record.  i got half of a brilliant record.  i'm happy enough.  however i would have liked eno more out front, and u2 more in the background.  that's just my preference.

i would have done it like this:

1. fez/being born - yes, exactly as you said, but with the video screen shrouding the stage, lights on the audience.  larry is on drums but we can't see him.  the other three at three, nine and 12 o clock on the catwalk for the whole song but silhouetted, facing away from the inner circle.  towards the end, the cylinder rises in light and they enter the space ship and rip into
2. no line
3. magnificent
4. beautiful day - ok the kiddies get that one.
5. elevation - ok the kiddies get that one too.
6. city of blinding lights - ok the kiddies get this one too, and one more for the non-hardcore fans later on...
7. mlk / unforgettable fire  put mlk here.
8. one - screw things up, put it here.  the tour is already sold out, stadium shows are a dying breed, why bother worrying?
9. sort of homecoming
10. white as snow - why aren't they playing one of the best songs on the record?
11. your blue room - should be right before
12. electrical storm
13. if god would send his angels
14. ok, kite, i love this song.  more than walk on.
15. until the end of the world -- and you are correct to segue into
16. breathe -- so hopeful, got me through a deep depression this spring, hated it the first time i heard it, but it saved my soul, their most overtly christian song in forever, and i actually found grace inside this song, and i found grace and that's all i found.  this year everything else fell away from my life, friends, job, health, home.  and there is truly no line on my horizon.  i may actually die or i may actually not die, i am fine with the former, and not so fine with the latter but am learning to live again, i have no reason to go back and i don't know what's what.  end of digression.
17. staring at the sun, maybe.
18. please - close main set with this.

encore

19. zooropa
20. mofo
21. fly
22. discoteque
23. vertigo - last one for the kiddies.
23. wake up dead man

encore
24. ultraviolet
25. dirty day - seque into
26. acrobat
27. cedars of lebanon

alternate work in /second night songs could be
mysterious ways
love is blindness
lemon (especially if they MUST do crazy and/or boots and didn't drop those two duds)
lady with the spinning head!!!!!!!!
bad
zoo station
real thing
stay - for once a full band version -- no acoustic this tour for anything spaceships should have amplifiers!
gone - sounds great live
indian summer sky / wire - would be great to hear these again

i wanted to see some adventure and real risk, for one of the last of the big stadium tours.  might as well kill the dinosaur off while giving the ones who've deeply loved these four guys for 3/4 their lives, for 25 + years, one last thrill before our hearing and knees and backs and mortgages prevent us from going to these sorts of events.

and is it me or does larry have wrinkles now?  i'm not saying he looks old.  he doesn't look mid to late 40's, he just looks like a 16 year old with wrinkles.  bono's turning into the stocky fireplug stage of his life, which makes him sexy in a brand new way.  edge has one of those ageless irish faces, when he's a wrinkled prune, he will still look like an imp who just got caught doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing.  and of course adam was born to age beautifully.  he is close to surpassing larry in gorgeous sexiness.  wait till he's sixty.  he'll be liz taylor or sean connery, who are not ageless but who look stunning whatever the age.

and on that closing thought, this is adam's album.  too bad only half of it is a classic, and none of it was the 'frak you all!' they should do every second album.

I think the reason they're not playing White as Snow is they now it would blow goats live.  The worst throw away on the album...in my opinion.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 12:21:22 PM »
Well they have finally dropped Pride from the set so now there's a spot for another song which is a good thing.  Listening to the Sheffield concert broadcast I felt Pride was the only number that was surplus to requirements the rest was great and so I don't really see the need for wholesale changes.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 12:38:54 PM »

Listen to WOWU from Milan 7th july ,  it is impossible that it can't move you . Really saddened by the people wanting to drop wowu , the crescendo at the end of the song when the whole crowd sing at the top of their voices is a wonder of the world!!

your praise for WOWY is in regards to the crowd though.  I have no doubt the crowd was singing their hearts out but Bono has been phoning that song in since Zoo TV and has been fluctuating in and out of the set for a reason.

Offline munkeybrains

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 06:41:36 AM »
you guys are never happy. not everyone at a U2 concert is a die-hard...so you cant expect them to play some of the songs you mentioned.  for example..lady with the spinning head.

im about to go to my first u2 concert september 17, and if i dont hear streets, there will be hell to pay, i dont care if bono cant perform it or not.

i do concur.  i still have my fantasy wishlist.  streets i believe has never been not played since it debuted live in 1987.  it's the one song, moreso than pride.  and it seems to be everyone in the band's favorite song because no matter what, it transforms everyone, the band, the crew, the fans.  it belongs in a hynmal.  it is the one u2 song i'd bury in a time capsule, take into space, the one u2 song i'd have when i was the last man on earth.

and yes, most of their fans came this century.

perhaps they will get around to doing a quickie arena show, multi arena dates in like boston, chicago, toronto, nyc, la, maybe miami.  and they just do all the b-level stuff.  one or two of the almost hits.  the second tier stuff, maybe a quick streets or pride, or forsake all hits past 85, play obscure tracks from 1980 to 2010 and beyond.  but only play "hit" songs from the first four albums.  bring back tomorrow, october/new years day, i'd like to see a totally redone first four albumes.  also an album a night.  whatever record they are promoting, they do their 3 or 4 songs from it, then tie into one of their albums from start to finish.  or maybe, 3 or 4 from current albums, a few other hits, and then end the show with a full album in entirety in its set order.  then for the encore, build on that and make songs that would be worthy encores to that last album audacity.

i'd liek to see a "for the hardcore fans" tour, minitour, dvd.  play you made me the thief, fly away, blue room, acrobat, more of passengers, all the stuff never played.  the synth version full on synth version of night and day.  give adam and larry and edge extended songs to sing, mini suites.  unless they refuse.  bono relegated to backup singer.  hell, take lessons and switch instruments.  put bono and edge in charge of guitars, larry and edge for singing, bono backup, and where to put adam, since he is so perfect always.  i'd put him on guitar, maybe edge on bass.  maybe bono on bass so he'd be so concentrated we'd get no bonoisms.

but point taken, yeah they must play to their base.  i was hoping the second shows would get more experimental and quickly in europe become known as, if you are a casual or recent fan, go to the first night.  if you are hardcore, (i have listened to them 3/4 of my life.  still haven't found saved my mother from suicide and a deep spiritual quest or rather barren desert.  and probably suicide.  this year my world, my health my independence was ripped form me.  god has a lesson for me in depending on him, on finding grace, even if it's inside a sound, but finding grace and nothing but.  my ability to take care of myself is gone.  i cannot take care of myself, but my friends  abandoned me, my family abandoned me.  which is for the best -- they beat me without mercy growing up, still play games, it's not about love. t hey can't love, and i can't forgive.  one day i hope and pray to, not for them, but because jesus said 'forgive us as we forgive those who sin against us.  i am not there.  it will take grace to get me there.  right now i'm to the ponit where i don't call them, i don't take their messagges.  i hate them and they should be in a UN jail for what they allowed to happen to me, for what they did to me.  this year the only thing that kept me from hanging myself was 'breathe" and perhaps "fez"    but "breathe" for sure.  god used breathe to dig back in and let me know he's here.  pointed me to psalm 30, and then to 27 i t hink verse 10, 'even if your mother and father abandon you i will never."   

this year, everyone deserted me. i wasn't an a****** about it except i reminded people of thier solemn promises to me to help take care ofme.  they ostracized me, they did more than say no.  they blocked me and cast me out and made damn sure i coldn't make other friends deepen from acquaintences.  as if i were the only non psycho in the world.  how true could that be?  what's wrong with me?   so breathe keeps me from wondering, from dwelling, and from hanging myself.

still i stand by my setlist.  it would be so deeply meaningful to me.

advertise it as such:  if you didn't fall for u2 hard before 2000 then don't come, as a service to yourself. 

Offline munkeybrains

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2009, 06:48:44 AM »
you guys are never happy. not everyone at a U2 concert is a die-hard...so you cant expect them to play some of the songs you mentioned.  for example..lady with the spinning head.

im about to go to my first u2 concert september 17, and if i dont hear streets, there will be hell to pay, i dont care if bono cant perform it or not.

we will be deliriously raptured to a place of purity and joy and hope and love.  and at the same time will have our complaints.  i have loved these guys so deeply for about 3/4 of my life.  they are a part of my being.  their songs have directly shaped and given direction to my life.  have been actual, literal soundtracks to my life and spiritual journeys

Offline munkeybrains

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2009, 06:51:26 AM »
Here's another good one. For this i stacked the begining with No line material and less "rare" songs.

1. FEZ/ Being Born
2. No Line On the Horizon
3. Get On Your Boots
4. Breathe
5. Stand Up Comedy ( Oh, Yes!)
6. I'll Go Crazy ( Normal Version)
7. Magnificient
8. New Year's Day/ I Still ...

Acoustic Set

9. Drowning Man/ One Tree Hill
10. Stay
11. Stuck In A  Moment
12. Staring at the Sun

Back to normal

13. Until the End of the World
14. The Fly/ Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
15. Ultraviolet
16. City of Blinding...
17. Vertigo
18. Beautiful Day
19. Pride
20. MLK (Wich segues into ) Where the Streets Have No Name
21. One
22. Bad w/ 40 (Snippet)

*Encore

23. Unknown Caller
24. White As Snow
25. Moment of Surrender

that is an awesome set.  they simply must play white as snow, and at some point cedars needs to close the show, and fez needs to open it.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2009, 08:07:51 AM »
bravo for your choices.  rather, bravo your choices and their positions in the setlist being exactly as I had imagined way back in march.

i was hoping they would concentrate solely on
nloth
passengers
pop
zooropa
achtung
unforgettable fire.

this is blasphemy, but i was hoping they would jettison all joshua tree songs, including the sacred 'streets'.  that would have been a bold move.

i have problems with nloth as an album, i think the sequencing is off.  i hate unknown caller, moment of surrender, and especially boots.  i was hoping for a 'darker' tone to this show to match some of the darker tones lurking just underneath the hope on nloth. 
i was hoping for a career destroying we don't give a flip genius record.  i got half of a brilliant record.  i'm happy enough.  however i would have liked eno more out front, and u2 more in the background.  that's just my preference.

i would have done it like this:

1. fez/being born - yes, exactly as you said, but with the video screen shrouding the stage, lights on the audience.  larry is on drums but we can't see him.  the other three at three, nine and 12 o clock on the catwalk for the whole song but silhouetted, facing away from the inner circle.  towards the end, the cylinder rises in light and they enter the space ship and rip into
2. no line
3. magnificent
4. beautiful day - ok the kiddies get that one.
5. elevation - ok the kiddies get that one too.
6. city of blinding lights - ok the kiddies get this one too, and one more for the non-hardcore fans later on...
7. mlk / unforgettable fire  put mlk here.
8. one - screw things up, put it here.  the tour is already sold out, stadium shows are a dying breed, why bother worrying?
9. sort of homecoming
10. white as snow - why aren't they playing one of the best songs on the record?
11. your blue room - should be right before
12. electrical storm
13. if god would send his angels
14. ok, kite, i love this song.  more than walk on.
15. until the end of the world -- and you are correct to segue into
16. breathe -- so hopeful, got me through a deep depression this spring, hated it the first time i heard it, but it saved my soul, their most overtly christian song in forever, and i actually found grace inside this song, and i found grace and that's all i found.  this year everything else fell away from my life, friends, job, health, home.  and there is truly no line on my horizon.  i may actually die or i may actually not die, i am fine with the former, and not so fine with the latter but am learning to live again, i have no reason to go back and i don't know what's what.  end of digression.
17. staring at the sun, maybe.
18. please - close main set with this.

encore

19. zooropa
20. mofo
21. fly
22. discoteque
23. vertigo - last one for the kiddies.
23. wake up dead man

encore
24. ultraviolet
25. dirty day - seque into
26. acrobat
27. cedars of lebanon

alternate work in /second night songs could be
mysterious ways
love is blindness
lemon (especially if they MUST do crazy and/or boots and didn't drop those two duds)
lady with the spinning head!!!!!!!!
bad
zoo station
real thing
stay - for once a full band version -- no acoustic this tour for anything spaceships should have amplifiers!
gone - sounds great live
indian summer sky / wire - would be great to hear these again

i wanted to see some adventure and real risk, for one of the last of the big stadium tours.  might as well kill the dinosaur off while giving the ones who've deeply loved these four guys for 3/4 their lives, for 25 + years, one last thrill before our hearing and knees and backs and mortgages prevent us from going to these sorts of events.

and is it me or does larry have wrinkles now?  i'm not saying he looks old.  he doesn't look mid to late 40's, he just looks like a 16 year old with wrinkles.  bono's turning into the stocky fireplug stage of his life, which makes him sexy in a brand new way.  edge has one of those ageless irish faces, when he's a wrinkled prune, he will still look like an imp who just got caught doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing.  and of course adam was born to age beautifully.  he is close to surpassing larry in gorgeous sexiness.  wait till he's sixty.  he'll be liz taylor or sean connery, who are not ageless but who look stunning whatever the age.

and on that closing thought, this is adam's album.  too bad only half of it is a classic, and none of it was the 'frak you all!' they should do every second album.

I think the reason they're not playing White as Snow is they now it would blow goats live.  The worst throw away on the album...in my opinion.

It's the best song lyrically on the album imo. I think it would be fantastic live, very poignant song. Would be a good lead-in to Streets I thin; far better than the Desmont Tutu speech that's for sure.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2009, 09:47:34 AM »
@munkeybrains - Sorry to hear about some of your recent life trials but I'm glad that U2's music lifted your mother and you out of those dark places. 

As for Streets getting the boot - The band love playing it ( and have stated so) and the fans love hearing it.  I can't imagine it being taken off any setlist.