Author Topic: U2s influence on Coldplay  (Read 8913 times)

shockdocta22

Re: U2s influence on Coldplay
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 07:40:49 PM »
In the future ill look at it this way.

Much better having Coldplay as biggest band in the world than Jonas Brothers

Offline JSab

• Staring at the Sun
  • No, no line
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 07:49:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"But they're bleeding all the colors into one"

"Then all the colors will bleed into one"

That's just more of a good ol' fashioned cliché isn't?  Its hard to claim plagiarism on it.  Just two examples of fairly average lyric writing.

The last 2 coldplay albums have not been very good. The last one outsold U2 but as an album it falls short.

Each to their own of course but I thought Viva La Vida was maybe Coldplay's best work.  Yeah, it outsold U2 but, in my opinion, its a lot better than No Line.  Sure, Coldplay haven't done anything to the standard of The Joshua Tree or Acthung Baby.  They probably won't either. Very few bands do. But Viva La Vida isn't too shabby in my view.

Also, I always hear how Coldplay haven't progressed.  99% of people who bag Coldplay pull this out.  I think songs on the new album like 42, Death and All His Friends, Cemetries of London are a pretty far cry from Yellow.  No, they haven't morphed into a totaly different band.  Yes, they still sound maybe a little too much like their influences (which I might add are more varied than most people on this forum give them credit .) But there is progression there.  Baby steps to be sure, but its happening.

I agree with your points. Coldplay have a distinct ambience to their music, more so than U2's music. I love all the songs on Viva La Vida, and some of them are really something in my opinion - Death And All Of His Friends for one - its got a great driving beat to it. I love it how they joined the songs together - like its one big piece that beggs to be listened as a whole and not separately as songs, I dont know many albums of today, but other albums I have that join the songs together are Pink Floyds Dark Side Of The Moon, and some Bealtes albums. Im not comparing coldplay to those greats, I'm just saying I love how they joined together the songs, cause its something I like hearing, its like I'm listening to one big epic marathon of songs with no break inbetween - well, like a live U2 concert. As LOGAN B said, they've only released 4 albums, its hard to expect them to be as good as U2 (for the people out there who think so).

I love Viva La Vida, and I actually didnt make many connections to Coldplay and U2 before I heard Winter and found the things people said here.

deco20

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 09:08:47 AM »
Coldplay is definitely one of the forerunners to carry on the U2 tune but Chris Martin better train his voice. A voice like his will mean that people are gonna get tired of him fast.

Interestingly, no one seems able to name the other members of Coldplay....

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 09:26:55 AM »

It was Bruce Springsteen who made the best point of all about that, when inducting U2 into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. "I was listening to the last band whom I would be able to name all four members."

Offline JSab

• Staring at the Sun
  • No, no line
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 02:36:52 AM »

It was Bruce Springsteen who made the best point of all about that, when inducting U2 into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. "I was listening to the last band whom I would be able to name all four members."

Haha cool, well, there's the somewhat bald guy, the other guy and I can't even picture him in my head guy :P