Author Topic: Songs you don't understand people liking / disliking  (Read 10325 times)

Offline CDProp

• Stateless
Songs you don't understand people liking / disliking
« on: January 08, 2009, 06:57:25 PM »
So, we all have different opinions, right? Like, for some people, Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World isn't a very good song, and even though I like the song, I can understand why it doesn't appeal to some people.

However, there are some opinions which are quite common out there (perhaps even majority opinions) which are so outside of my personal taste that I literally cannot believe they exist.

Let me explain. I have never, ever met a person who disliked All I Want Is You, nor would I expect to, because it's an excellent song.

And I guess there are some songs which I would expect almost everyone would like, but what I find is that a significant number of people dislike it. Or vice-versa.

For instance, I do not understand the love for Yahweh. That song has never even registered a single pang of emotion for me.

On the other hand, I don't understand the distaste people have for Trip Through Your Wires. That song rocks!

Also, Electrical Storm (not the Orbit Mix, but the original Radio 1 version) was one of the most interesting, emotive songs to me. I liked it instantly, which is pretty rare for me. I was surprised to see that a significant number of people don't like the song very much at all.

Do you have any songs like that?

Offline braxhunt

• Refugee
  • Feel like trash - you make me feel clean
Re: Songs you don't understand people liking / disliking
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 07:31:35 PM »
I can only speak for myself but Yahweh really touches me deeply because of my faith. I also like that U2 has ended every album since Zooropa with a psalmic sort of song. Even Wake-up Dead Man was a prayer of despairation. Grace and Yahweh are overtly Faithful. Especially love the version at the end of U23D.

Offline Aburrow

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 08:40:20 PM »
U2 songs I like that are traditionally slagged are Wild Honey, Grace, Some Days Are Better Than Others, Miami, The Playboy Mansion, Trip Through Your Wires, All Because of You. So far, I haven't been able to change any opinions about these tracks, and no one's changed mine.  ;)

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 08:42:14 PM »
I don't understand how people can like The Sweetest Thing.  It sounds like a song a boy-band would sing  :P

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 09:06:42 PM »
Why the hate for Babyface? It sounded like quite a good song.

Offline brrrger

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 10:18:54 PM »
Wow, I've been a huge U2 fan for over 20 years but I think we have almost opposite U2 tastes. I've always thought "All I Want Is you" is extremely boring and it does nothing for me.

"Yahweh" is the 2nd best song on HTDAAB. It has such a catchy uplifting melody and a great bridge.

I thought I'd read somewhere that the band wanted to move in a slightly different direction and write more songs in the style of "Electrical Storm". I'll admit it does have some interesting sounds but the melody and lyrics are still pretty boring.

"Original Of The Species" is another song I always skip--and go straight to "Yahweh" every time, although I've heard a lot of praise for it for some reason.

And finally, "Desire" has got to be the absolute worst song U2 has ever recorded-and they actually decided to make it a single. Did anyone actually buy a copy of it? I mean, I did, but only because I'm a U2 collector and I buy everything they put out.

Offline macphisto

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In te domine.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 10:26:49 PM »
To brrrger,

I honestly can't understand your dislike for All I want is You. It's essentially Bad Pt. II and every bit as poignant...
It's the perfect song to break out the cognac to on a winter day while imagining a past lover.

Trip Through Your Wires is just beyond me. The harmonica part in the song just seems out of place compared to the tone of the rest of the album.
However, the one song I thought was beyond appreciation was 'The Playboy Mansion'. However, I recently reexamined the lyrics due to a thread that a user posted on this site. Upon second examination, it's one of the most intricate and spiritually conscious ballads U2 have written, much in the vein of Wake Up Dead Man and others.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 11:52:21 PM »
I shocked that my friends don't like Where the Streets Have No Name  :o :o :o

luieu2

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 12:04:01 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't understand how people can like The Sweetest Thing.  It sounds like a song a boy-band would sing  :P
have you heard the original version bono dosent sound like a boy band to me ???

Offline CDProp

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 01:04:33 AM »
Wow, brrrger! We truly are opposites. I guess it just goes to show that U2 has something for everybody.

I thought of one that I actually changed my mind about. I used to not understand The Wanderer at all. I didn't understand how anyone could like that song. I thought it was a crap song. I don't exactly remember when or why I changed my mind about it, but I really love that song now. I did a total 180 about it at some point.

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 02:47:53 AM »
have you heard the original version bono dosent sound like a boy band to me ???

Ok I can actually imagine Westlife singing it so I do see your point!

What I don't understand is why people persist to play songs like One and WOWY at weddings? I went to one last weekend and both those songs where played! I freaked out and ranted on the way home to my parents about how that should have not been allowed.

Offline eviltimeban

• Wanderer
  • Pop is the best U2 album
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 03:35:05 AM »
I LOVE:

Miami
Slug (in fact most of Passengers)
Stateless
Slow Dancing

and these songs mostly get a bad rap. I was going to add Please but I see most people here talk about it in glowing terms.

I don't understand how people can like:

Most of R&H
Peace On Earth
Yahweh / A Man And A Woman / Crumbs from your Table / Fast Cars (in fact, all of the second half of HTDAAB)
The Hands The Built America (rubbish!!)

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 05:36:01 AM »
Songs I don't understand people disliking:

- Babyface
- Yaweh
- Windows in the sky

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Rock and roll doggie!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 06:13:34 AM »
There are many, many songs that take an unwarranted bad rap on this forum ("Is That All?"...hell, damn near all of OCTOBER, "The Refugee", "4th of July", "Babyface", "Numb", "Daddy's Gonna Pay...", "The Wanderer"--my favorite song from ZOOROPA, "Elvis Ate America", "Discotheque", "Miami", "The Playboy Mansion", "New York", "Love and Peace or Else"--my favorite song from HTDAAB...hell, much like OCTOBER, damn near all of HTDAAB takes way too much abuse; it's one of my favorite U2 albums, "Window in the Skies"), but the one that has burned and perplexed me for the longest is "Elvis Presley and America".  It's a haunting ballad--Edge's guitar work is transcendental, beautific and profoundly moving.  The song gets hammered for its non sensical/non sequitur lyrics, but I've always been far more interested in how a song is sung than in what is sung, and Bono sings this with rich emotion and a stirring tone.  I not only think the song is better than its reputation, I think it's better than at least half the songs on the UNFORGETTABLE FIRE album and desperately wish people could get past the "one take" issue and really listen to it.  I think many of them would quickly start to understand why Brian Eno thought one take was all that was needed...

Offline TheFly

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 07:28:48 AM »
I can't understand people liking 'Miami', especially U2's audience. The band are capable of so, so much better than that.

'Do You Feel Loved', to me, is a terrible song, so can't understand people loving it.

My brother described 'Stuck In A Moment' as "boring", which i can't understand at all.

'God part 2' has never really done much for me, and from that point of view i can't really see why people go nuts for it.

I can't understand people slagging off 'The Unforgettable Fire' (song, not album). I think it's quite an interesting piece of work. I ca only assume it's because it's not really what was expected of them at the time.

I'm sure there a lot more and will add when i think of them.