Author Topic: Songs you don't understand people liking / disliking  (Read 10333 times)

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
Re: Songs you don't understand people liking / disliking
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 10:44:23 AM »
I don't know who couldn't like: Window in the Skies
                                          The Wanderer
                                          Peace on Earth
                                          Desire  (Really?  I'm perplexed.  What's not to love?)

For more discussion on the "worst" U2 songs, check out the thread entitled "WITS is not the worst U2 song ever".  (Shameless plug for my dying thread.   ;))

Offline Ro~Jo

• Stateless
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 04:13:05 PM »
Songs I find "meh" that most fans like:

When Loves Comes to Town
One Tree Hill (love the lyrics though)
In God's Country
Do You Feel Loved?
Elevation
Miracle Drug

Songs I Don't Understand Why Others Don't Like:

The Refugee
Babyface
Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car
Some Days Are Better Than Others
The Wanderer
If God Will Send His Angels
The Playboy Mansion
The Sweetest Thing
New York
All Because of You

While I like "Miami", I understand exactly why people don't like it.

Revolver7

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 05:10:49 PM »
Babyface is one of my favorite U2 songs...I love Some Days Are Better Than Others too!

Boom Cha!

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 05:28:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Babyface is one of my favorite U2 songs...I love Some Days Are Better Than Others too!

I love Some Days Are Better Than Others, too! Gotta dig that fuzzy guitar!  8)

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 09:15:46 AM »
I just generally don't understand people!

zip

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 09:26:14 AM »
I've always felt that "the wanderer" picks up where "for the first time" leaves off........the prodigal son goes out wanderin and ultimately realises who and what he needs is back at his father's house..............just my opinion...........

eurydice

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 12:17:24 PM »
Seriously...people dislike "Desire"...I cannot wrap my brain around that idea. I'm a high school teacher who subjects students to U2 regularly. "Desire" and "Where the Street Have No Name" are the two songs that get the students who say how much they hate U2 to admit they like a U2 song.

However, my least favorite U2 song is "With or Without You"...I will never understand why THAT song does it for people. People saying "With or Without You" reminds them of some great love in their life really astound me. Although, not as much as the people saying "Every Breath You Take" by the Police reminds them of some great love. Those people need help.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2009, 01:02:22 PM »

However, my least favorite U2 song is "With or Without You"...I will never understand why THAT song does it for people. People saying "With or Without You" reminds them of some great love in their life really astound me. Although, not as much as the people saying "Every Breath You Take" by the Police reminds them of some great love. Those people need help.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Are you referring to the fact that Every Breath You Take has sinister undertones? I love WOWY for it's passion and openness, it's a beautifully emotive, expressive love song.

Revolver7

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2009, 01:33:10 PM »
With or Without You is my song, man.....it's about the passion, the conflict, the heartbreak, the heartache, your hands being tied....needing someone desperately, but at the same time, they rip you to pieces

go fall in love or something! ;D

« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 01:36:37 PM by Revolver7 »

eurydice

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 02:04:59 PM »
Clearly, it is just me.

To ME, "With or Without You" sounds nearly as dark, but not nearly as sinister, as "Every Breath You Take."

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009, 03:45:47 PM »

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Are you referring to the fact that Every Breath You Take has sinister undertones? I love WOWY for it's passion and openness, it's a beautifully emotive, expressive love song.

All the members of the Police have openly stated that Every Breath You Take is a dark, stalker type song and how it blows their minds that it is actually played at many weddings.  The Edge has said the same thing about One. It is used often at weddings. He said it definitely should not be!!!

Revolver7

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2009, 03:58:25 PM »
I remember that quote about 'One'...The Edge said people should read the lyrics, or something like that

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2009, 01:51:42 AM »
There are many, many songs that take an unwarranted bad rap on this forum ("Is That All?"...hell, damn near all of OCTOBER, "The Refugee", "4th of July", "Babyface", "Numb", "Daddy's Gonna Pay...", "The Wanderer"--my favorite song from ZOOROPA, "Elvis Ate America", "Discotheque", "Miami", "The Playboy Mansion", "New York", "Love and Peace or Else"--my favorite song from HTDAAB...hell, much like OCTOBER, damn near all of HTDAAB takes way too much abuse; it's one of my favorite U2 albums, "Window in the Skies"), but the one that has burned and perplexed me for the longest is "Elvis Presley and America".  It's a haunting ballad--Edge's guitar work is transcendental, beautific and profoundly moving.  The song gets hammered for its non sensical/non sequitur lyrics, but I've always been far more interested in how a song is sung than in what is sung, and Bono sings this with rich emotion and a stirring tone.  I not only think the song is better than its reputation, I think it's better than at least half the songs on the UNFORGETTABLE FIRE album and desperately wish people could get past the "one take" issue and really listen to it.  I think many of them would quickly start to understand why Brian Eno thought one take was all that was needed...

I think most people know where I stand on October and I have to agree about other albums too. I dont actually hate any songs - there are some that take more work to get into and i suppose thats maybe what makes the difference?

Offline Yggdrasille

• Refugee
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2009, 04:48:01 AM »
I don't understand the hate for "A Man and a Woman". It's not one of my favourite U2 songs but I see nothing wrong with it either. Ditto for "Wild Honey", which I think is a lovely breezy number.

I don't get the hype over "Mercy" that I've often seen on U2 forums. To me it's a song with a promising start that quickly trails off into dullness and nothing about it merits the obsession over whether it's going to be on the new album or not.

I also don't get why "Acrobat" is such a big favourite among U2 fans. It's a good song but IMO nothing more than that. Same for "One Tree Hill".

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2009, 06:09:45 AM »
Songs I find "meh" that most fans like:

In God's Country

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they don't like In God's Country. Maybe you're the first?
The Paris live version from Joshua Tree tour is one of my favorite U2 songs.