Author Topic: Songs you don't understand people liking / disliking  (Read 10330 times)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Re: Songs you don't understand people liking / disliking
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2009, 09:00:37 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't understand the hate for "A Man and a Woman". It's not one of my favourite U2 songs but I see nothing wrong with it either. Ditto for "Wild Honey", which I think is a lovely breezy number.

I don't get the hype over "Mercy" that I've often seen on U2 forums. To me it's a song with a promising start that quickly trails off into dullness and nothing about it merits the obsession over whether it's going to be on the new album or not.

I also don't get why "Acrobat" is such a big favourite among U2 fans. It's a good song but IMO nothing more than that. Same for "One Tree Hill".

I've always love A Man and a Woman but was afraid to admit here after the beating I took with Grace & Wild Honey. Thanks for that!

Offline CDProp

• Stateless
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2009, 10:40:43 AM »
I thought of another one: Mercy. It's such a boring song!

Offline onetreehill

• Up With the Sun
  • to the rhythm of my soul
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2009, 10:54:32 AM »
I LOVE:

Miami
Slug (in fact most of Passengers)
Stateless
Slow Dancing

and these songs mostly get a bad rap. I was going to add Please but I see most people here talk about it in glowing terms.

I don't understand how people can like:

Most of R&H
Peace On Earth
Yahweh / A Man And A Woman / Crumbs from your Table / Fast Cars (in fact, all of the second half of HTDAAB)
The Hands The Built America (rubbish!!)

I know for me sometimes I won't care for a song, but then when I have seen it in concert I fall in love with it.  This happened for me with miami, and also for Crumbs, Crumbs was so somber live and maybe it was the emotion of the crowd, but now I love that song.

The one thing they do over and over is give us different versions of songs, I don't think they even have a "final" version of any one song?

Oh I know it goes against some, but I have been a fan for over 20 years, and I tire of the same ol' same ol' they play on the radio, and I kind of felt that way about Sunday Bloody Sunday, and then I heard the Edge acoustic and "LOVED" it all over again.

Offline Aburrow

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2009, 11:16:21 AM »
I don't understand the hate for "A Man and a Woman". It's not one of my favourite U2 songs but I see nothing wrong with it either. Ditto for "Wild Honey", which I think is a lovely breezy number.

I don't get the hype over "Mercy" that I've often seen on U2 forums. To me it's a song with a promising start that quickly trails off into dullness and nothing about it merits the obsession over whether it's going to be on the new album or not.

I also don't get why "Acrobat" is such a big favourite among U2 fans. It's a good song but IMO nothing more than that. Same for "One Tree Hill".

I've always love A Man and a Woman but was afraid to admit here after the beating I took with Grace & Wild Honey. Thanks for that!

Hey, you guys aren't alone. I see nothing wrong with A Man and a Woman either, but it is extremely unpopular and people always respond to it with hostility, for whatever reason. Grace and Wild Honey generate the same response from some, I don't know why. They are three perfectly harmless, well-crafted pop songs (check Adam's groovy bass on A Man and a Woman). They're NOT Top 10 all time great U2 songs, but geez, they're a long way from crap.

I'm also not sure that Mercy warrants all the love I've seen for it. It is a throwaway, interesting for what it is, but it won't be appearing on No Line on the Horizon. I couldn't care less if they finish it or not. Bring me Cedars of Lebanon, Unknown Caller and Moment of Surrender.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2009, 02:17:18 PM »

Hey, you guys aren't alone. I see nothing wrong with A Man and a Woman either, but it is extremely unpopular and people always respond to it with hostility, for whatever reason. Grace and Wild Honey generate the same response from some, I don't know why. They are three perfectly harmless, well-crafted pop songs (check Adam's groovy bass on A Man and a Woman). They're NOT Top 10 all time great U2 songs, but geez, they're a long way from crap.

I'm also not sure that Mercy warrants all the love I've seen for it. It is a throwaway, interesting for what it is, but it won't be appearing on No Line on the Horizon. I couldn't care less if they finish it or not. Bring me Cedars of Lebanon, Unknown Caller and Moment of Surrender.

Thanks for your support Aburrow! It is always nice to know I am not alone!

Boom Cha!

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2009, 02:23:12 PM »
A Man And A Woman is a pretty groovy song. I don't have a bad thing to say about it.  8)

Offline evel12314

• Elevated
  • Squeeze out sparks of light.
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2009, 08:18:40 PM »
I have no problem with A Man and a Woman either :-\

I never understood anyone who didn't like Mercy.

luieu2

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2009, 09:20:47 PM »
mmmm dislike ummm HOLD ME THRILL ME KISS ME "HATE IT" there is no other u2 song i dislike they are all awsome . ;)

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2009, 03:49:17 AM »
I thought of another one: Mercy. It's such a boring song!
boring ? you can't say that about the most overhyped u2 song ever  ;) ;D ;D you know pictures of you will be up on wanted posters now don't you ?

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2009, 07:53:40 AM »
Songs most U2 fans might like that I do not:
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Sweetest Thing

Big U2 songs that I don't mind, but don't usually play on my ipod:
With or Without You
Beautiful Day

U2 songs I like that don't get enough love:
Wild Honey (something a bit different, a bit playful, a bit cheeky)
Seconds (love the lyric, the beat, even the "Unknown Soldier" type thing in the middle)

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2009, 08:25:48 AM »
"Stuck in a Moment" was bashed by most french fans when it was released.

To me it's U2 singing a Bob Marley song, absolutely delightful.

One thing is for sure : there are many, many ways to be a U2 fan.

Offline macphisto

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In te domine.
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2009, 09:33:48 AM »
I absolutely love Seconds. One of the gems from the War album.

Would anyone care to sing along?

Takes a second to say goodbye
Say goodbye, oh, oh, oh
It takes a second to say goodbye
Say goodbye, oh, oh, oh, say bye bye
Where you going to now...

Offline Aburrow

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2009, 10:04:26 AM »
Yeah, thanks to the remastered War album, I've spent a LOT more time with Seconds and I really love it now. And the live version on the Red Rocks DVD kicks ass. I like this song just as it is, kind of an obscure, half-forgotten, deep album gem, but a gem nonetheless.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2009, 10:05:03 AM »
Totally agree.

Fall...rise, and...

Offline CDProp

• Stateless
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2009, 01:28:21 PM »
boring ? you can't say that about the most overhyped u2 song ever  ;) ;D ;D you know pictures of you will be up on wanted posters now don't you ?

LOL. Yeah. I think U2 have sort of overdone the "130-bps-barely-melodic-singing-over-drums-&-bass-with-a-few-token-guitar-chimes-thrown-in" genre.