Author Topic: Anyone Else thirsty for some Pop on the 360??  (Read 4386 times)

ireland61290

Anyone Else thirsty for some Pop on the 360??
« on: September 16, 2009, 11:39:15 PM »
Idk. I'd really like to hear the Pop classics like Discotheque, Last Night on Earth, Do You Feel loved and Id like to hear If God Will Send His Angels. Idk. what do you think?

Offline ken

• Babyface
Re: Anyone Else thirsty for some Pop on the 360??
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 11:43:52 PM »
Wouldn't object to one of those on the setlist, but not thirsty for it  ;)

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 12:12:23 AM »
Hell yes! Pop is not my favorite but with the 360 Lighting and the whole party atmosphere they try to create Discotheque would fit in brilliantly around that Crazy/Vertigo area. Gone is also a breathtaking spectacle live and audiences and casual fans should be exposed to that song.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 01:53:00 AM »
Yup, Discotheque could be a possible, and an acoustic Please would be nice. They apparently rehearsed Angels a few times but it hasn't surfaced yet.
But in general the choice of songs this tour has been excellent. Covered almost every base, barring minor omissions of Pop and Boy/October.
But I'm sure if I had avoided looking at the sets and saw the Toronto show last night, I would have been very happy.

Offline beau99

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 02:38:34 AM »
While I'd love to see some more Pop/Zooropa played, I don't mind the current setlist for this tour.

Except I hate Unknown Caller with a passion and WOWY is boring now... but otherwise.

Offline SirGazzatron

• Wanderer
  • It's time to go again, to your blue room.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 03:48:50 AM »
BRING IT ON!

(Boom Cha!)

;) :D ;D :P :-*

hehe

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 05:24:51 AM »
In the book U2 BY U2, the band have made public their dismay, regret, and criticism about Pop.  After that book was published, they embarked on the final leg of the Vertigo Tour.  Not a single Pop song was played.

Since there have been no reports of the band taking those words back, or disowning what was written in that book, I don't think they would play a song from an album which they regret releasing too soon and dub as unfinished.

While many internet forum fans would want Pop to be played live, those with a deeper appreciation for U2 would understand that it would be more enjoyable to hear U2 perform a song they really want to - as opposed to playing a phone-it-in version of a songs from an album they have despised over time and would probably perform half-heartedly.

Cheers,

J

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 06:20:10 AM »
They soundchecked If God Will Send His Angels on several occasions on this tour. I'm sure they will play other Pop songs , again,   we need to hear Please again before the end.

daveyg

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 06:21:22 AM »
Would have loved to hear please again!

Offline mattyk

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 06:57:21 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

While many internet forum fans would want Pop to be played live, those with a deeper appreciation for U2 would understand that it would be more enjoyable to hear U2 perform a song they really want to - as opposed to playing a phone-it-in version of a songs from an album they have despised over time and would probably perform half-heartedly.

J

I hate rising to Jick's bait, but there are at least a few songs that U2 (or various members) love from that album. Edge has said on at least a few occasions that Gone is one of his favourite songs to play. And there's no way that you could call the performance of staring at the sun on the Slane DVD or the performances of Please post-9/11 phoning it in.

And please, FFS just f*** off with the whole "...those with a deeper appreciation for U2...". It's beyond insulting.

Back on topic, I think that Please, Gone and Discotheque would rock the house played under the Claw (think of the visual pyrotechnics from the Mexico DVD at the end of Please, but on the Claw!!). It's probably too much to hope for, but Mofo would be unbelievable!

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 08:53:39 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I hate rising to Jick's bait, but there are at least a few songs that U2 (or various members) love from that album. Edge has said on at least a few occasions that Gone is one of his favourite songs to play. And there's no way that you could call the performance of staring at the sun on the Slane DVD or the performances of Please post-9/11 phoning it in.

And please, FFS just f*** off with the whole "...those with a deeper appreciation for U2...". It's beyond insulting.

Back on topic, I think that Please, Gone and Discotheque would rock the house played under the Claw (think of the visual pyrotechnics from the Mexico DVD at the end of Please, but on the Claw!!). It's probably too much to hope for, but Mofo would be unbelievable!

Again, Slane Castle and the performances of Gone were pre-U2 By U2 days.  When U2 prepared U2 By U2, they had to listen to their entire body of work from the start and had already distanced themselves from their work to be more objective in assessing it. 

My point simply is - if U2 doesn't want to play it then it is better left unplayed than played just for the hell of it.  Did you guys see those atrocious performances when U2 pulls an audience member to play an unrehearsed song?  Bono just reads lyrics, gets lost in the song and has no emotion in his singing - while Mullen, Clayton, and Edge and trying to find the right chords and beat?  It's a something not worth seeing or listening to.

For example, one of my personal favorite U2 songs this decade is something called "Miracle Drug".  It has all the elements of a great U2 song: ringing echo-ridden guitars, driving bass lines, verse drums that are not full of cymbals and hi-hats, soaring vocals towards the chorus, and that economical Edge guitar solo.... but U2 no longer play it live.  Bono has mentioned that it is a midtempo song and he calls it "death by midtempo".  It will bore the audience.  As much as I like to hear that song in the show I will attend, I don't go around begging for it just like people are begging for Pop songs or Acrobat (fat chance, its never been played live anyway).

I am more happy to take what U2 have to give, as long as for the given set of circumstances, that is what U2 feels they can give justice to.  So if they play a POP song and not do it justice, I'd rather not hear it.  I have my Popmart Mexico DVD for that purpose.

Cheers,

J

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 09:29:11 AM »
Ignoring Jick's typical baiting, yes, I would LOVE to see some Pop on 360. In fact, basically any song from Pop except Playboy Mansion or *Shudder* Miami would make me ECSTATIC, though I'd particularly adore Please, IGWSHA or Discotheque! But any of them would be amazing, really!

Do I think we'll get one? I think it's possible. They've gone back to Passengers a bit, and if anything, their words in U2 By U2 make it even more likely that they'll return to one or two of the Pop songs in a tweaked, 'finished' version, which I'd also love. Rehearsing IGWSHA is a very good sign, I wouldn't be shocked to see one or two 'Pop' songs by the end of the tour. :) HOPEFULLY as regulars, but even a rotation would be lovely. Discotheque's appearance last tour is a nice sign that they aren't done yet.

Offline Rob of the leads york

• Wanderer
  • i'll light your way if you light mine!
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 10:07:02 AM »
id love anything from pop to be played especially in time for the recording of a concert dvd, mofo or IGWSHA or do you feel loved would be more than welcome but anything really its a great album and shouldnt be left in the cold :D

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 10:23:03 AM »
I think some songs from POP would fit very well rotated into the setlist and setting if they're into it:  Mofo, Discotecque, Staring, Please, Do You Feel Loved, Gone.  ( anything but Miami & Playboy M as Unknown Caller said)

That said, I think its obvious they're trying to satisfy both hardcore and casual fans and in a stadium setting & while I got a lot of standards & warhorses I wasn't remotely disappointed.  Just the opposite actually!  I totally rocked out and enjoyed myself.  Sure, I'd love to have heard Stay and more NLOTH and any number of other songs but I feel blessed to have witnessed and shared yet another great concert with them.  8)  Life could be so much worse....  ;)

Offline Discotheque Girl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • You break and enter my imagination
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 10:23:48 AM »
WE WANT POP!