Author Topic: Anyone Else thirsty for some Pop on the 360??  (Read 4383 times)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Re: Anyone Else thirsty for some Pop on the 360??
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 10:43:08 AM »
Incidentally, words alone cannot describe how PERFECT the disco-ball and the many, many coloured lights on the Claw would be for Discotheque!  :D

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 11:47:04 AM »
I still think we'll hear If God Will Send His Angels at some point.

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 12:03:45 PM »
Elvis Costello did Please 2 nights ago, and 2 shots of happy (God Angel B side) played 2nd time ever, there's hope! Please acoustic was probably the best rarity of this decade.

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 01:25:37 PM »
If they can blow the dust off of "Your Blue Room," which is not even technically from a U2 disk, then surely they can play at least one song from POP. In his interview recorded last year with Rolling Stone, Bono spoke very highly of both Pop and Zooropa. Check out the podcast. And the stage creis out desperately for some Pop music.

InThisHeartland

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 01:46:40 PM »
In both senses, definitely.

1.) I am hot and thirsty, so I would like to drink some soda
2.) I also really like the last 90s U2 album, and it would be great live.

Offline U2LA

• Babyface
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 02:13:55 PM »
Maybe they will play one at the Vegas show to make up for such a crappy performance on opening night of the Popmart tour (which opened at the same stadium).

Offline achtung jeff

• Wanderer
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 04:00:12 PM »
I thought when I heard the first few bars and saw the funky faces & hand claps of I'll go Crazy, they were gonna do discotheque... Regardless, I immediately thought of POP.

I agree that the whole claw sh-bang lends itself to a few boom-chas. I also could maybe see perhaps a mashup of IGWSHA segue in there between Your Blue Room & Fez maybe... Dunno.

Bottom line: they could play the hokey-pokey for 2 hours if they wanted and I'd be stoked. Just being in the same zip code with them is pretty darn cool.  ;D

Boom Cha!

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 04:22:11 PM »
Gone will be played on this tour. I have a feeling.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2009, 10:09:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
In the book U2 BY U2, the band have made public their dismay, regret, and criticism about Pop.  After that book was published, they embarked on the final leg of the Vertigo Tour.  Not a single Pop song was played.

Since there have been no reports of the band taking those words back, or disowning what was written in that book, I don't think they would play a song from an album which they regret releasing too soon and dub as unfinished.

While many internet forum fans would want Pop to be played live, those with a deeper appreciation for U2 would understand that it would be more enjoyable to hear U2 perform a song they really want to - as opposed to playing a phone-it-in version of a songs from an album they have despised over time and would probably perform half-heartedly.

Cheers,

J

Define phoning it in?  In my book that occurs when a song is played over and over again and played to death that it becomes too routine and passionless.  Pride and WOWY are definitions of phoning it in and 70,000 screaming fans can usually cover it up live, but it shows so painfully on the boots.  Phoning it in is when you do something because you feel you have to not cause you want to.  And the U2 on this tour is hovering dangerously on that line.  If U2 actually decided to play a POP song it wouldnt be phoning it it.  and it wouldn't be half-heartedly.  it would be ballsy and take commitment by the band since they are more challenging songs live. 

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2009, 10:12:15 PM »
Elvis Costello did Please 2 nights ago, and 2 shots of happy (God Angel B side) played 2nd time ever, there's hope! Please acoustic was probably the best rarity of this decade.

and dirty day too.  i wonder if U2 was happy and took that as praise or if they were embarrased inside that elvis costello could just bang out two songs like that that U2 doesnt even play.

Offline jjazznola

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2009, 12:09:52 AM »
While many internet forum fans would want Pop to be played live, those with a deeper appreciation for U2 would understand that it would be more enjoyable to hear U2 perform a song they really want to - as opposed to playing a phone-it-in version of a songs from an album they have despised over time and would probably perform half-heartedly.

Cheers,

J

I don't think it was the songs per se they did not like, just the mix and the way they sounded. They have talked about going in and re-doing the entire album. I for one wish they would play more of their interesting 90's works off of Achtung Baby, Pop & Zooropa. Also Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me would be great! I'm going both nights in NJ but I'm not holding my breath!

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2009, 12:45:04 AM »
I'd love some Pop!!!! Popmart was my favorite tour. Just today I was driving to the office, cranking my Popmart Tampa bootleg and wishing I had a time machine so I could go back and do Popmart all over again.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2009, 12:32:36 PM »
While it is always nice to hope for the best when it comes to resuscitating the Pop songs from the playlist garbage bin, we should be more level-headed and realistic rather than delusional.

U2 are already in the middle of the tour and have hit their stride.  They won't be rehearsing any new songs this late in the ballgame.  Your Blue Room was only rehearsed to add something new for the US leg.  But given their busy schedules of traveling from one city to another, including TV and radio show guest appearances in the bigger cities, would they have time to practice a POP song and would their multimedia team have the graphics pre-programmed to that?

The very nature of this tour does not lend itself to easily adding new songs.  And if U2 will add new songs, chances are it will be a song they frequently play live and memorize without need of a lot of practice (NYD, UTEOTW, Mysterious Ways, Bad) or maybe just add a new album song to the setlist (Stand Up Comedy?) rather than re-learn a POP song.  It is just very unlikely.

While it is indeed amusing to read the requests for the POP songs, we all know that it is just a faint hope that borders on impossible wishful thinking.  Unless of course it will be a song done acoustic and the most likely candidate would be Staring At The Sun.  For the other songs, it is highly improbably and next to impossible.

Maybe for the third leg they can do that.  But definitely not in this leg.

Cheers,

J

Offline ABloodRedSky

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • We're sorry, we're closed for lunch.
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2009, 12:36:43 PM »
There was a tiny bit of Mofo last night :)

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2009, 12:41:43 PM »
While it is always nice to hope for the best when it comes to resuscitating the Pop songs from the playlist garbage bin, we should be more level-headed and realistic rather than delusional.

While it is indeed amusing to read the requests for the POP songs

It's much more amusing to read someone with a Jon Bon Jovi avatar call anything by U2 garbage. It's also much more amusing to have that person telling us how to behave.