Author Topic: Anyone Else thirsty for some Pop on the 360??  (Read 4380 times)

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
Re: Anyone Else thirsty for some Pop on the 360??
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2009, 03:57:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There was a tiny bit of Mofo last night :)

I would love to hear Mofo & it would totally "fit" into the sound and feeling of this show!   8)  Cool you got a snippet of it! 

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2009, 08:56:13 PM »
It's also amusing to watch trolls at work.

They cast, and there's always a bite.

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2009, 10:16:46 PM »
Well I'm amused. Aren't you guys?

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2009, 11:44:31 AM »
I am very amused. Like I always say, "Consider the source." Especially when that source used to call himself the king of POP.  :D

Offline beau99

• Stateless
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2009, 02:42:51 AM »
While it is always nice to hope for the best when it comes to resuscitating the Pop songs from the playlist garbage bin, we should be more level-headed and realistic rather than delusional.

U2 are already in the middle of the tour and have hit their stride.  They won't be rehearsing any new songs this late in the ballgame.  Your Blue Room was only rehearsed to add something new for the US leg.  But given their busy schedules of traveling from one city to another, including TV and radio show guest appearances in the bigger cities, would they have time to practice a POP song and would their multimedia team have the graphics pre-programmed to that?

The very nature of this tour does not lend itself to easily adding new songs.  And if U2 will add new songs, chances are it will be a song they frequently play live and memorize without need of a lot of practice (NYD, UTEOTW, Mysterious Ways, Bad) or maybe just add a new album song to the setlist (Stand Up Comedy?) rather than re-learn a POP song.  It is just very unlikely.

While it is indeed amusing to read the requests for the POP songs, we all know that it is just a faint hope that borders on impossible wishful thinking.  Unless of course it will be a song done acoustic and the most likely candidate would be Staring At The Sun.  For the other songs, it is highly improbably and next to impossible.

Maybe for the third leg they can do that.  But definitely not in this leg.

Cheers,

J

Bold highlighted for emphasis, because The Edge disagrees with you.

They could very easily add a new song if they felt like it.

• Precious Stone
SPOILER: Anyone Else thirsty for some Pop on the 360??
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2009, 09:38:10 AM »
While it is always nice to hope for the best when it comes to resuscitating the Pop songs from the playlist garbage bin, we should be more level-headed and realistic rather than delusional.

U2 are already in the middle of the tour and have hit their stride.  They won't be rehearsing any new songs this late in the ballgame.  Your Blue Room was only rehearsed to add something new for the US leg.  But given their busy schedules of traveling from one city to another, including TV and radio show guest appearances in the bigger cities, would they have time to practice a POP song and would their multimedia team have the graphics pre-programmed to that?

The very nature of this tour does not lend itself to easily adding new songs.  And if U2 will add new songs, chances are it will be a song they frequently play live and memorize without need of a lot of practice (NYD, UTEOTW, Mysterious Ways, Bad) or maybe just add a new album song to the setlist (Stand Up Comedy?) rather than re-learn a POP song.  It is just very unlikely.

While it is indeed amusing to read the requests for the POP songs, we all know that it is just a faint hope that borders on impossible wishful thinking.  Unless of course it will be a song done acoustic and the most likely candidate would be Staring At The Sun.  For the other songs, it is highly improbably and next to impossible.

Maybe for the third leg they can do that.  But definitely not in this leg.

Cheers,

J

Bold highlighted for emphasis, because The Edge disagrees with you.

They could very easily add a new song if they felt like it.

Technically "She's the One" isn't a new song.  It's a cover.   :D :D :D

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2009, 10:41:54 AM »
The schedules of the band and putting them together to relearn an old song is really what would make it pointless to add something new this late in the game.

The cover song was just something practiced with little fanfare, and no prepared visuals to accompany it or any special arrangement.  It was done just because they were playing in Springsteen country.

U2 have already put on a pretty big repertoire of songs to choose from in this tour, they usually just pluck it out from among what they have already done.  And if they learn something new to play, chances are it won't be from POP.

So to go back to the original topic - yes there are others who are thirsty for some POP in the 360 Tour, but don't expect that thirst to be quenched anytime soon.

Cheers,

J

• Precious Stone
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2009, 10:43:50 AM »
The schedules of the band and putting them together to relearn an old song is really what would make it pointless to add something new this late in the game.

The cover song was just something practiced with little fanfare, and no prepared visuals to accompany it or any special arrangement.  It was done just because they were playing in Springsteen country.

U2 have already put on a pretty big repertoire of songs to choose from in this tour, they usually just pluck it out from among what they have already done.  And if they learn something new to play, chances are it won't be from POP.

So to go back to the original topic - yes there are others who are thirsty for some POP in the 360 Tour, but don't expect that thirst to be quenched anytime soon.

Cheers,

J

What about you? Are you thirsty for some POP on this tour?

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2009, 10:57:13 AM »

It would be great to see U2 finally nail a good version of If God Will Send His Angels - something they failed to do in Popmart then gave up on it.  Nothing like those great chiming Edge guitar sounds.  But that is just wishful thinking, I doubt they will ever pull it off.

Cheers,

J

• Precious Stone
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2009, 11:02:54 AM »

It would be great to see U2 finally nail a good version of If God Will Send His Angels - something they failed to do in Popmart then gave up on it.  Nothing like those great chiming Edge guitar sounds.  But that is just wishful thinking, I doubt they will ever pull it off.

Cheers,

J

I have to admit, that frustrated me a lot to hear them do the first few bars of that in San Diego and then shut it down.  If they do it on 360, it will probably be acoustic.

Offline kos4u2

• Staring at the Sun
  • Ain't love the sweetest thing
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2009, 01:53:45 PM »
There was a tiny bit of Mofo last night :)

Actually, since Bono kind of dislikes the Pop album, and quotes Poets a lot it was in my opinion more likely
a qoutation from William Butler Yeats' poem ''Before the World Was Made'.

It was the influence for Mofo I guess.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2009, 02:01:20 PM »

And yet they did it last tour for Discotheque, The First Time...

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2009, 03:28:13 PM »
'Gone' is the obvious choice cut from POP, an effective rocker and quite easy for the band to rehearse.  It is I have always thought just a by the numbers sort of song and not really a highlight or centrepiece of a show if you remember the POP-MART and Elevation tours.  I would ideally like to see a great full band version of IGWSHA on the official DVD release though.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
'Gone' is the obvious choice cut from POP, an effective rocker and quite easy for the band to rehearse.  It is I have always thought just a by the numbers sort of song and not really a highlight or centrepiece of a show if you remember the POP-MART and Elevation tours.  I would ideally like to see a great full band version of IGWSHA on the official DVD release though.

U2 seem to prefer staying away from the obvious.  Obvious for UF would be Bad yet they play UF.  From Achtung there are other songs that were more played in other tours yet they choose Ultraviolet.

Gone or Discotheque would be things that have been done in the past and proven to be snoozefests.  Not sure if U2 still have a POP song that can work the crowd.  But hey, I'd rather hear a decent song off POP (Staring At The Sun or IGWSHA) over Your Blue Room anytime.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2009, 05:15:12 AM »
Gone or Discotheque would be things that have been done in the past and proven to be snoozefests.  Not sure if U2 still have a POP song that can work the crowd.  But hey, I'd rather hear a decent song off POP (Staring At The Sun or IGWSHA) over Your Blue Room anytime.

SNoozefests? The band think highly enough of both to have retained them into Elevation, and then to try and bring back Discotheque again in Vertigo, while the Edge has spoken very well of Gone. Nothing I've seen of either of these songs live has remotely indicated them to be 'snoozefests'- anything but.