Author Topic: Anyone Else thirsty for some Pop on the 360??  (Read 4387 times)

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Anyone Else thirsty for some Pop on the 360??
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2009, 10:01:47 AM »
you're just being baited.

Achtung40Life

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2009, 10:41:56 AM »
This late in the game? The tour isn't even half way over... actually it would be more accurate to say it's a third of the way through with.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2009, 11:02:59 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
'Gone' is the obvious choice cut from POP, an effective rocker and quite easy for the band to rehearse.  It is I have always thought just a by the numbers sort of song and not really a highlight or centrepiece of a show if you remember the POP-MART and Elevation tours.  I would ideally like to see a great full band version of IGWSHA on the official DVD release though.

U2 seem to prefer staying away from the obvious.  Obvious for UF would be Bad yet they play UF.  From Achtung there are other songs that were more played in other tours yet they choose Ultraviolet.

Gone or Discotheque would be things that have been done in the past and proven to be snoozefests.  Not sure if U2 still have a POP song that can work the crowd.  But hey, I'd rather hear a decent song off POP (Staring At The Sun or IGWSHA) over Your Blue Room anytime.

How on earth can you class these two songs as snoozefests? Gone was spellbinding on the Elevation tour, and Discotheque was fun on Vertigo.

The biggest snoozefest on this forum is reading all your posts rambling on about Pop and its songs. It's boring now Jick, you bring Pop up on EVERY thread regardless of the topic, we all know you hate it, just give it a rest. You will never changes fans of the album's minds' - if you like it you like it, if you don't you don't, End of story. There are many people who dislike ATYCLB & HTDAAB (your favorites) as much as you hate Pop, but they don't ramble on about it like you do.

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2009, 11:07:01 AM »
'Gone' is the obvious choice cut from POP, an effective rocker and quite easy for the band to rehearse.  It is I have always thought just a by the numbers sort of song and not really a highlight or centrepiece of a show if you remember the POP-MART and Elevation tours.  I would ideally like to see a great full band version of IGWSHA on the official DVD release though.

U2 seem to prefer staying away from the obvious.  Obvious for UF would be Bad yet they play UF.  From Achtung there are other songs that were more played in other tours yet they choose Ultraviolet.

Gone or Discotheque would be things that have been done in the past and proven to be snoozefests.  Not sure if U2 still have a POP song that can work the crowd.  But hey, I'd rather hear a decent song off POP (Staring At The Sun or IGWSHA) over Your Blue Room anytime.

How on earth can you class these two songs as snoozefests? Gone was spellbinding on the Elevation tour, and Discotheque was fun on Vertigo.

The biggest snoozefest on this forum is reading all your posts rambling on about Pop and its songs. It's boring now Jick, you bring Pop up on EVERY thread regardless of the topic, we all know you hate it, just give it a rest. You will never changes fans of the album's minds' - if you like it you like it, if you don't you don't, End of story. There are many people who dislike ATYCLB & HTDAAB (your favorites) as much as you hate Pop, but they don't ramble on about it like you do.

you just got baited, that's jick's intent, he doesn't care about a rational discussion

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2009, 11:08:17 AM »

The really ironic thing is that he really likes POP. So much so that on another board, he signed off as the King of POP.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2009, 11:20:06 AM »

you just got baited, that's jick's intent, he doesn't care about a rational discussion

Yeah, I know. I'm just having a bad morning!  ;)

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2009, 11:21:43 AM »

The really ironic thing is that he really likes POP. So much so that on another board, he signed off as the King of POP.

Interesting. The word troll comes to mind then!

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2009, 01:38:12 PM »
The schedules of the band and putting them together to relearn an old song is really what would make it pointless to add something new this late in the game.

The cover song was just something practiced with little fanfare, and no prepared visuals to accompany it or any special arrangement.  It was done just because they were playing in Springsteen country.

U2 have already put on a pretty big repertoire of songs to choose from in this tour, they usually just pluck it out from among what they have already done.  And if they learn something new to play, chances are it won't be from POP.

So to go back to the original topic - yes there are others who are thirsty for some POP in the 360 Tour, but don't expect that thirst to be quenched anytime soon.

Cheers,

J

"U2 have already put on a pretty big repertoire of songs to choose from in this tour," - and here is my biggest complaint about U2.  there repertoire of songs is tiny compared to their catalog.  for a band making this much money i'd say its pretty pathetic how few songs in their catalog they even attempt to play.  once a tour starts we know these songs from the 80's and 90's if not performed on night one will appear - NYD, Bad, ISHFWILF, Desire, Angel of Harlem, Mysterious Ways, UTEOTW, IWF and AIWIY.  So far IWF and AIWIY have not appeared but the others ones have.  It's like clockwork.  They return to what they trust the most.  Each tour will start with a few surprises - this time UV and TUF.  But after night one they are not surprises, instead they are regulars.  There is always one random insertion it seems later on in the tour like Your Blue Room and Miss Sarajevo.  Party Girl is always played nowadays about 2-3 times per tour.  And very little else.

If U2 could build this stage and NASA could land a spaceship on the moon, then U2 can surely learn songs on the road that arent old hat and the crew cam come up with a visual.  I mean they did write the songs themselves.  U2 might actually learn something about themselves.  As a musician you go through cycles where you are amazed at how you wrote that song and how great it sounds and then question the very song with "what was i thinking".  and then suddenly you rediscover it and say man i like that song.  U2's gut never gets involved in a live show.  you know over the course of a tour each band member has to have said hey I really like so and so song do you wanna give it a try.  if they don't think that than they aren't human.  there is something so very powerful about playing a song when you aren't 100% comfortable with it.  it gives it the edge and the chance for complete collapse.

so i was thinking this.  Last Night on Earth would make a beautiful acoustic piece for Bono and Edge to do.  It fits the mold where Edge gets to do some real noticeable background vocals whereas in some songs it kind blends with bono into one.  and so that brings me to the acoustic song of the night.  the easiest song to perform with little rehearsal.  and yet we get two songs rotated.  wow.  this is where they could be bringing in the real hidden gems.  we got the first time and wild horses last tour.  they could be doing so much with this segment with little work.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2009, 01:41:26 PM »
don't feed the trolls!