Author Topic: Will Bono Suffer This Fate?  (Read 4122 times)

Offline AudaciousU2

• Wanderer
Will Bono Suffer This Fate?
« on: September 17, 2009, 10:45:57 PM »
This evening an excellent article was posted on Yahoo that suggested there are many "aging" singers who are painfully unable to hit their notes to their songs.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Please read the article and decide if you think that Bono will someday suffer this fate.

Please include which songs that U2 should retire if in fact Bono's voice will not be able to hit the mark.

Also, include songs that Bono and the lads will be able to adjust for an aging voice. 

Do you think a song such as "Gone" or "Bad" should NOT be sung if in fact Bono cannot reach the notes?

« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 11:01:09 PM by AudaciousU2 »

Offline TheFly

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Will Bono Suffer This Fate?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 06:32:59 AM »
Well, i think Bono already has to a certain degree, because he has had trouble singing over the last few years. If it was to come to it and he really just could not hit the notes any more, he would probably just reinvent his voice the way he did for Achtung Baby or even No Line now to compensate.

To comment on the article and Elton John - i think it's a little unfair to include him in then/now bit as he had an operation on his throat a few years back that changed his voice ever so slightly preventing him from getting higher notes. I know Rod Stewart wasn't mentioned in the article, but he had the same thing so i would say it's not fair to include him in any such article either.

deco20

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 06:42:46 AM »
as you grow older, you WILL lose that rawness/power in your voice.

same as Bono. When he was younger, his voice was in one word, powerful. Now only at certain times, will that power surface.

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 07:44:21 AM »
As someone who is aging herself, I will say that what you lose with age is more than made up for by what you gain.  Bono's voice may not have the sheer power it once had, but it has gained other qualities, a certain aching emotion that he didn't used to possess.  I don't see it as loss so much as evolution. 

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 10:08:46 AM »
I agree with yooper- and indeed, with what Bono himself has said. He can't reach the same notes, or the same power, but it gains richness in other aspects. It's different, not worse.

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 10:50:16 AM »
As someone who is aging herself, I will say that what you lose with age is more than made up for by what you gain.  Bono's voice may not have the sheer power it once had, but it has gained other qualities, a certain aching emotion that he didn't used to possess.  I don't see it as loss so much as evolution. 

Very well put Yooper. I think the themes in U2 songs have a deeper meaning when sung by the voice of experience. I akin it to Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt". It was one song when sung by the Nails, but, wow, sung by a man with Cash's voice and experience, it just took on this completely different meaning. U2 (and fans) are lucky that they get that experience of the same song, sung two ways with the same singer-- the voice of youth and the lessons of experience.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 10:57:51 AM »
This evening an excellent article was posted on Yahoo that suggested there are many "aging" singers who are painfully unable to hit their notes to their songs.
Please read the article and decide if you think that Bono will someday suffer this fate.
Please include which songs that U2 should retire if in fact Bono's voice will not be able to hit the mark.
Also, include songs that Bono and the lads will be able to adjust for an aging voice.
Do you think a song such as "Gone" or "Bad" should NOT be sung if in fact Bono cannot reach the notes?

every singer will someday suffer that fate. Even Tony Bennet's voice will fail him someday.

#@!

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 11:38:24 AM »

every singer will someday suffer that fate. Even Tony Bennet's voice will fail him someday.

#@!

NO! Not Tony Bennett!!!!   :'( :'(

Offline Yukona [The League of Extraordinary Bonopeople]

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 11:40:19 AM »

Very well put Yooper. I think the themes in U2 songs have a deeper meaning when sung by the voice of experience. I akin it to Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt". It was one song when sung by the Nails, but, wow, sung by a man with Cash's voice and experience, it just took on this completely different meaning. U2 (and fans) are lucky that they get that experience of the same song, sung two ways with the same singer-- the voice of youth and the lessons of experience.

Amen to that! I think Bono has lost some and gained some with respect to his voice. A few years back (97 to 99) he was in serious danger of losing it totally. But after taking up vocal lessons and learning how to protect his voice, I think it's in the best shape it's been for ages.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 12:28:41 PM »
Well said U2yooper!  I concur!   :) 
I think a big difference with Bono vs. Daltry & many others, is that first, the U2 song catalog has evolved and grown & evolved with fans ( including having relevance and meaning), so he has much more to draw from, and a range of song 'types' to sing.  With the Who and Daltry, aside from being stuck playing rebellious songs from decades gone by that have lost relevance and seem fairly silly for a middle aged man to sing,  he has lost power and cannot hit any of the notes.  He should have hung it up many years ago and that is coming from an previous Who diehard.   With Elton, in the examples in the article & from what I've seen, he still sings very well and there more of a parallel with Bono's voice quality than the example of Daltry.   

I'd say that most of the time, Bono still has power & energy in his voice  and he's still hitting the notes. My own experience from the first concert is that Bono's voice is in fine form.  Sure, there are older warhorses that Bono sings that may at times not have the same power and strength as when he was younger but I think he retains the passion and feeling in most all of them, and even if he's sang them for 30 years and hundreds of times.  There's also newer songs he's singing and he's hitting the notes.  (eg) last tour  - Miss Sarajevo & SYCMIOYO, and on this tour, the acoustic songs as well some of the standards, at least at my concert.  He does 'cheat' on some songs like WOWY, where he'll 'whoo-hoohoo-hooooo hoo' rather than sing that full out but overall, I think he delivers and well.   

When Bono is in his 60's like say Jaggar & Daltrey - will his touring voice still be as good?  I'd say it probably sadly won't for some of the older songs but given I lose my voice after one night of concert going, that's no surprise to me.  Seriously, does anyone every consider that?  That said, I think Bono will sing his heart out for whatever he choses to sing in future, and some songs may get dropped completely.  I'd highly doubt he'll lose any passion in his voice and performance though, and I think he'll choose wisely, or tour for shorter periods.   And if his voice really did "go" at some point and be "crap" as some people like say (even now), I'd think he'd probably hang it up rather than keep touring.  I think that day is a few albums off yet so enjoy them while you can!  No time better than the present!   :)

Offline AudaciousU2

• Wanderer
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 05:50:51 PM »
Some excellent thoughts on this subject, but the "fate" I was really considering for Bono is the aspect of a singer "not knowing" how his voice really sounds to others.  Roger Daltrey it seems, doesnot realize how poor and sadly tragic his voice has become and still (maybe against advice) continues to trot out there and try to sing "Love Reign Over Me" and is truly out of touch with how poorly he sounds.

My question stands:  "Will Bono realize his voice is no longer in the right key and not embarrass himself or U2's legacy with a less than stellar performance?"

hurricane hugo

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 06:14:03 PM »
Some excellent thoughts on this subject, but the "fate" I was really considering for Bono is the aspect of a singer "not knowing" how his voice really sounds to others.  Roger Daltrey it seems, doesnot realize how poor and sadly tragic his voice has become and still (maybe against advice) continues to trot out there and try to sing "Love Reign Over Me" and is truly out of touch with how poorly he sounds.

My question stands:  "Will Bono realize his voice is no longer in the right key and not embarrass himself or U2's legacy with a less than stellar performance?"

umm, dude - you never asked that question.  :P

#@!

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 06:16:08 PM »
I think the distinctive Bono voice of the 80's and 90's that we all know and love went in the late 90's never to return.  The same is true of all singers as they age, listen to Elton John and Mick Jagger nowadays they don't sing as sweetly as they did in their 30's.  I think U2 and Bono will continue into their 60's with The Edge's harmonies supporting 'the voice'.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 06:26:10 PM »

While some fans say this already,  I think his bandmates will be all over that and especially Larry.   Ali would probably also pipe in if Bono did not recognize it.       
As for Daltrey - I think that he loves performing and he's just milking every penny he can get.  The clip of his singing in the article is really brutal and not a great way to be remembered. 

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 06:34:51 PM »
I think the distinctive Bono voice of the 80's and 90's that we all know and love went in the late 90's never to return.  The same is true of all singers as they age, listen to Elton John and Mick Jagger nowadays they don't sing as sweetly as they did in their 30's.  I think U2 and Bono will continue into their 60's with The Edge's harmonies supporting 'the voice'.

I think you're right about his voice obviously higher in the 80's, but for 50 years old, I think he does a pretty good job of hitting the notes. Sometimes he sounds tired at shows though and needs to rest the voice it seems