Author Topic: SPOILER: Official Gilette Stadium, Boston, Set-List, 21st September 2009  (Read 9751 times)

Offline Utwoed

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Being ridiculous is something I hold dear
Re: SPOILER: Official Gilette Stadium, Boston, Set-List, 21st September 2009
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2009, 08:32:17 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'd like to know why it is they don't play their old songs off the first 3, hell 4, albums.  I don't mean just SBS or I Will Follow (though I always love hearing it).  All those great early songs.  I don't think they know how to play them anymore and Edge has said he can't even remember the chords.  I'd give anything for a show that was just all those great songs from their earliest albums.  Hell, Springsteen just performed his BTR album in it's entirety here in Chicago last night. 

Did you forget that "Electric Co" and "The Ocean" and "An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart" were all played last tour?

I think it's a bit of What Have You Done For Me Lately for some people.

They've done a lot for me lately so I don't know what you're talking about. 

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2009, 08:33:05 PM »
...that being said, I did post something on here somewhere a few months ago showing that Bruce had played EVERY song from his first 2 albums (the two before Born to Run) at least once in the past 10 or 15 years (i forget the specifics).  in fact, i think all but one track from his debut album made it on the last tour.  He does not ignore his older stuff.  It seems U2 is much more reluctant to dig out the really deep cuts.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2009, 08:33:17 PM »
so does breathe get dropped or one of the 3 in the encore?

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2009, 08:34:21 PM »
I think they should just extend the set by another encore three songs, so they can keep Ultraviolet in a similar role, and still have Breathe doing the pounding intro, lights come on thing. ;)

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2009, 08:34:44 PM »

i still maintain it should open the encore.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2009, 08:36:24 PM »
...that being said, I did post something on here somewhere a few months ago showing that Bruce had played EVERY song from his first 2 albums (the two before Born to Run) at least once in the past 10 or 15 years (i forget the specifics).  in fact, i think all but one track from his debut album made it on the last tour.  He does not ignore his older stuff.  It seems U2 is much more reluctant to dig out the really deep cuts.

Only The Angel hasnt been played since the E Street band has been back together.  A good chunk of both those albums get played randomly on each tour.  There's always a chance any night you can get one.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2009, 08:37:03 PM »

i still maintain it should open the encore.

I'm with you on that.  Breathe/Ultraviolet/Moment would be great.

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2009, 08:38:36 PM »
fake tweet from @U2: 21 - Mercy

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2009, 08:40:07 PM »

Only The Angel hasnt been played since the E Street band has been back together.  A good chunk of both those albums get played randomly on each tour.  There's always a chance any night you can get one.

and that song isn't very good.  You should find my post somewhere on this forum where I discuss seeing Bruce last August in Richmond Virgina and the entire CRUSH ON YOU experience.  incredibly cool

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2009, 08:40:47 PM »
oh well.

ENCORE

21.  Ultraviolet (Light My Way)

Offline 1985

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2009, 08:41:01 PM »
I'd like to know why it is they don't play their old songs off the first 3, hell 4, albums.  I don't mean just SBS or I Will Follow (though I always love hearing it).  All those great early songs.  I don't think they know how to play them anymore and Edge has said he can't even remember the chords.  I'd give anything for a show that was just all those great songs from their earliest albums.  Hell, Springsteen just performed his BTR album in it's entirety here in Chicago last night.  

I think you answer your own question, in a way. As much as I respect the totality of Springsteen's career, his third album was his masterpiece. It's to his credit that he doesn't play BTR and Darkness every night he performs.

Not so for U2. There was terrific stuff in the first three albums, but numbers four through eight truly contain the band's genius.

Offline Utwoed

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Being ridiculous is something I hold dear
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2009, 08:42:02 PM »
I wonder what their reluctance is.  Bands should never be reluctant to play the old songs that made people get into them in the first place.  Oh yes, Bruce has always played his old stuff from the first 2 albums, especially the last 10 years.  Quite a few of them he's kept in rotation forever.  He's even perfomed them when he does solo tours. Those are the little gems people are hoping to hear at shows and why thousands of fanatics follow him around the world when he's on tour.  I know quite a few of those people.  I was unfortunate enough to even get Mary Queen of Arkansas at a show on the Rising tour, pfft.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2009, 08:42:15 PM »

and that song isn't very good.  You should find my post somewhere on this forum where I discuss seeing Bruce last August in Richmond Virgina and the entire CRUSH ON YOU experience.  incredibly cool

I just moved back to richmond in march so i missed it.  I saw him here back on the rising tour.  got a wonderful solo piano For You.  I happen to love The Angel.  I love the whole first album its actually my second favorite album ever to Achtung Baby and the most influential album for me in my own writing style.

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2009, 08:43:31 PM »
I'm wondering if Breathe won't be in the set at all? Maybe switch With or Without You for something else?

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2009, 08:43:43 PM »
i'm feeling BAD tonight. i don't know why other than it's Boston.