Author Topic: no more big staduim shows!  (Read 4488 times)

Offline oopski

• Stateless
  • And i don't know how to pray anymore
no more big staduim shows!
« on: September 22, 2009, 06:36:13 AM »
Oh, please, PLEASE! Enough with the big stadiums. Never mind the 3 hours to get there, unbelievable traffic in and out. The intimacy that makes a U2 show so absolutely incredible WAS NOT THERE. I would much rather pay the $100 "cheap seats" at Boston Garden any day than go to ginormous Gillette Stadium any day. I went to the '01 and '05 shows in the Garden and the experience was as close to spiritual as one can get.  The magic was not there in the stadium, it just leaked up and out into the nite sky. I can't even imagine sitting for a frozen football game there! So, bring it back to Boston boys!

Offline u2and

• Refugee
Re: no more big staduim shows!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 06:46:03 AM »

Yeah, I'm with you on this - stadium shows are rubbish unless you have a decent ticket/view. And no, 360 doesn't give the audience a better view unless you have a good ticket - obviously.

I loved the indoor elevation shows - they rocked big time!

Offline Torontotoad

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 07:44:31 AM »
I beg to wholeheartedly disagree...Its the size and scope - 2 million plus will see it (i think) - of the present tour that have made it special....and the setup, not just the claw, but the massive, morphing video screen, as well as the stage...the outer ring and moveable bridges serving to, in effect, make the stage 3 times larger, that will make this one stand out, just as Zoo TV did.
I have noted, however, some of the complaints at the Boston show you refer too....mostly the parking and 'echo' problem in the upper decks.  I feel sorry for the New England fans, but note that we had none of those problems at the Toronto show (or any of the other venues I've seen reviewed). 
I think the parking issue goes back to the old 'city core v suburb' dilemma.  In Toronto, there is very little parking outside the venue, but allot as you go into town, plus we have subway and commuter train access..which was great, cus I could drink heavy.....:)
I am not sure what can be done to address echo issues at venues such as Gillette...I imagine the acoustics of some facilities are just prone to the problem, at least at high volumes...
These problems, at some venues, don't detract from the overall value of this type of show.
Just my thoughts...

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 08:29:16 AM »
There are merits in both types of gigs.

And in fairness, the Claw is superbly designed, I've never seen anything like it, the stage setup,inner circle, moving bridges, crowd all around, cylindrical video screen.

I think we will see an indoor tour by late 2010 early 2011, this is not based on anything, but a hunch - a quieter album coming out next year(S.O.A.) means an indoor tour is going to be more appropriate. They will do more big 360 gigs in the U.S., South America, Australia/New Zealand and possibly Europe, and that will be the end of the 360 tour. 
I think it will be the shortest stadium tour they have done in years. Only 44 gigs announced so far for two legs, in comparison, Popmart had 94 outdoor gigs, Zoo Tv had 101 outdoor gigs. They won't hit those numbers with the 360 tour, maybe 30 to 40 more gigs to be announced.

For these big 360 gigs, there is only one way to go to get the feeling spoken of at the indoor gigs - G.A. and lineup early. Thats always been the case for these big gigs. Theres an incredible feeling when you are up front and looking back at the rest of the crowd.

Offline u2and

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 10:04:28 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There are merits in both types of gigs.

And in fairness, the Claw is superbly designed, I've never seen anything like it, the stage setup,inner circle, moving bridges, crowd all around, cylindrical video screen.

I think we will see an indoor tour by late 2010 early 2011, this is not based on anything, but a hunch - a quieter album coming out next year(S.O.A.) means an indoor tour is going to be more appropriate. They will do more big 360 gigs in the U.S., South America, Australia/New Zealand and possibly Europe, and that will be the end of the 360 tour. 
I think it will be the shortest stadium tour they have done in years. Only 44 gigs announced so far for two legs, in comparison, Popmart had 94 outdoor gigs, Zoo Tv had 101 outdoor gigs. They won't hit those numbers with the 360 tour, maybe 30 to 40 more gigs to be announced.

For these big 360 gigs, there is only one way to go to get the feeling spoken of at the indoor gigs - G.A. and lineup early. Thats always been the case for these big gigs. Theres an incredible feeling when you are up front and looking back at the rest of the crowd.

I think you hit the nail on the head - get into G.A and line up early. To be honest, I have been upstairs and nearer the back at a stadium gig and it's pointless. It's bad enough being in moderate to poor seats in an arena, let alone a stadium. A lot of folk on here are hardcore fans so will get into the inner circle etc - and being in the inner circle is a bit like being in an intimate venue. Obviously U2 like to claim the gigs the 360 are 'intimate' as that's part of their marketing campaign but for lots of people, U2 are tiny dots standing in the middle of a big stage. Take away the noise and you'd just as well watch a TV set.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 10:06:20 AM »
t's bad enough being in moderate to poor seats in an arena, let alone a stadium. A lot of folk on here are hardcore fans so will get into the inner circle etc - and being in the inner circle is a bit like being in an intimate venue. Obviously U2 like to claim the gigs the 360 are 'intimate' as that's part of their marketing campaign but for lots of people, U2 are tiny dots standing in the middle of a big stage. Take away the noise and you'd just as well watch a TV set.

Having seen U2 from quite poor seats this tour, I find that to be absoloute nonsense. They were not even close to being 'tiny dots',and the comparison with a TV set is absoloutely ridiculous- it may not be as intimate as an arena, or standing close in GA, but it's certainly a long way better than that!

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 10:09:13 AM »
I'm pretty happy I got tickets.

TICKETS.

TICKETS TICKETS TICKETS.

Everyone bitched at Vertigo, and now that they are playing to 3x the amount of people, we hate that too.

It would have been pretty damn tough to get tickets in an arena... I guess they should play about 5 nights in each city.

The claw is there for the stadium... get there early and get up front if you want an intimate scene, there's something for everyone - you just have to find it.

Offline ABloodRedSky

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • We're sorry, we're closed for lunch.
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 12:00:39 PM »
I've been to concerts at theatres, arenas, and now stadiums. Each has its perks and its disadvantages, but I'm there for the music, and at the end of the day, that's what matters to me :)

hurricane hugo

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 12:26:32 PM »
Oh, please, PLEASE! Enough with the big stadiums. Never mind the 3 hours to get there, unbelievable traffic in and out. The intimacy that makes a U2 show so absolutely incredible WAS NOT THERE. I would much rather pay the $100 "cheap seats" at Boston Garden any day than go to ginormous Gillette Stadium any day. I went to the '01 and '05 shows in the Garden and the experience was as close to spiritual as one can get.  The magic was not there in the stadium, it just leaked up and out into the nite sky. I can't even imagine sitting for a frozen football game there! So, bring it back to Boston boys!

I want to see someone top this show. stadium shows rock!

were you wearing a Snuggie at their show, btw?  :D

#@!

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 12:41:34 PM »
I love the Claw. There, that tells you my feeling on this. I've been to arenas and stadiums, though Chi 1 and 2 were my first U2 shows.
I was GA, couldn't-see-a-thing-behind-line-jumpers first night and Red Zone the second. It was awesome, far better than any arena show I've seen.
Best part was being able to get tickets on the first try!

If they play arenas I'll go but I will always prefer the Claw.

Birdlover

Offline tdot1a

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 02:56:20 PM »
maybe you shouldn't have moved to the suburbs :) I was at the venue in 16 minutes........

Offline The Wanderer

• Party Girl/Boy
  • U2360 Stage for Babies
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 03:16:26 PM »
U2 has re-invented the stadium show.  If 360 was like the Vertigo stadium show, like I saw in Hawaii, I would be screaming for the indoor arena too.  But I think this band deserves to have 60-70-80K people to play for. 

Offline bobbyd48

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 03:31:40 PM »
I agree with the first post. Arenas are much better. Its just not as good if you are a mile away.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 03:42:13 PM »
I agree with the first post. Arenas are much better. Its just not as good if you are a mile away.

I've seen U2 in both arenas and stadiums and there's pros and cons to both.  Obviously in arenas, everyone is much closer, so overall its much more intimate for everyone and sound is generally better too for all. 

That said - You don't have to be far away in a stadium  and can be close ( I was!) and the sound & sightlines were as great as in an arena.  Downside ( if you can call it that)  is being closer, you miss the whole picture & spectacle of 'the claw' and its lightshow but you have to make a conscious decision which view you want.  I traded that off for the intimacy, close view of the band and better sound. 

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 12:07:14 AM »
I'd rather watch a DVD of a U2 show in a large stadium but definitely only go to see a show in an Arena whoever is the act.