Author Topic: no more big staduim shows!  (Read 4451 times)

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Re: no more big staduim shows!
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 02:40:40 AM »
Definitely is all about position.

Isn't everything in life?

;D

Offline u2and

• Refugee
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 05:15:00 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
t's bad enough being in moderate to poor seats in an arena, let alone a stadium. A lot of folk on here are hardcore fans so will get into the inner circle etc - and being in the inner circle is a bit like being in an intimate venue. Obviously U2 like to claim the gigs the 360 are 'intimate' as that's part of their marketing campaign but for lots of people, U2 are tiny dots standing in the middle of a big stage. Take away the noise and you'd just as well watch a TV set.

Having seen U2 from quite poor seats this tour, I find that to be absoloute nonsense. They were not even close to being 'tiny dots',and the comparison with a TV set is absoloutely ridiculous- it may not be as intimate as an arena, or standing close in GA, but it's certainly a long way better than that!

Oh - nonsense eh?

I've been at U2 shows in higher up seats or areas further away from the stage and have been so bored, I've ended up texting people or daydreaming. I know of lots of other people who think it's pointless being at a stadium show unless you're close-ish to the action. So, I'm not in a minority.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 06:43:27 AM »
I'm with you U2and.

Up in the seats a bit further back, no matter which artist, I've always felt that i was in a line of very well behaved people watching a large hologram off in the distance. And the sound generally has been crapola.

But, the things we do for a pregnant wife who'd, by that stage, let me go around Australia to 5 shows...  :-[

Offline oopski

• Stateless
  • And i don't know how to pray anymore
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 06:50:28 AM »

were you wearing a Snuggie at their show, btw?  :D

#@!
[/quote]Please, I have some sense of fashion and it was definately my favorite fall wool sweater(we here in new england have different weight sweaters to fit the season!)
please explain "btw"-hope it is not derogatory!

Offline oopski

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 06:58:35 AM »
maybe you shouldn't have moved to the suburbs :) I was at the venue in 16 minutes........
Medford IS NOT the suburbs!
Thanks for all your responses-thru circumstances out of my control, I had to sit in the nosebleed seats, so stuck in a moment I guess. I did hear yesterday that U2 and their securtiy would have had to have gotten together with amtrack for the trains to run down to foxboro. It's done for football games. Happy for you Toronto people. You must have had great fun!
I will keep my fingers crossed that they will return "home" to Boston-afterall, the band always says they hold a special place in their hearts for our fair city as it was one of the first places they played when first coming to America. After all, who, besides NY and Chicago is more Irish??!!!!
I guess I just missed the experience of 15 thousand people singing in unison, inside, where the magic can't escape up and away! thanks y'all!

Offline Utwoed

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Being ridiculous is something I hold dear
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 12:15:26 PM »
Oh, please, PLEASE! Enough with the big stadiums. Never mind the 3 hours to get there, unbelievable traffic in and out. The intimacy that makes a U2 show so absolutely incredible WAS NOT THERE. I would much rather pay the $100 "cheap seats" at Boston Garden any day than go to ginormous Gillette Stadium any day. I went to the '01 and '05 shows in the Garden and the experience was as close to spiritual as one can get.  The magic was not there in the stadium, it just leaked up and out into the nite sky. I can't even imagine sitting for a frozen football game there! So, bring it back to Boston boys!
Totally agree!!!

hurricane hugo

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 12:59:06 PM »
Oh - nonsense eh?
I've been at U2 shows in higher up seats or areas further away from the stage and have been so bored, I've ended up texting people or daydreaming. I know of lots of other people who think it's pointless being at a stadium show unless you're close-ish to the action. So, I'm not in a minority.

If you're bored, then you're boring.  :P

oopski: btw = by the way.

#@!

Offline oopski

• Stateless
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 02:25:27 PM »
thanks, hh on the info! I know what wtf is, so now, I can add a new one! Yah, I am one of those ancient fans, and since the kids have left home, I am so behind on current stuff.

Offline beau99

• Stateless
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 02:39:47 AM »
As someone who has seen a stadium concert from the nosebleeds and an arena show from near the floor (not U2, just in general), I would take the nosebleed seat in the stadium in a heartbeat.

Then again, it could have been that the arena I was at has poor acoustics.

But probably not.

Offline u2and

• Refugee
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 04:34:00 AM »
Oh - nonsense eh?

If you're bored, then you're boring.  :P

oopski: btw = by the way.

#@!

That's not strictly true is it? Do you find everything you come across in life equally fascinating? Or do you find some things more interesting than others? Boredom is a relative term.

I find sitting where there is zero atmosphere at a stadium or arena gig way less interesting that being in the GA area near the front where there is atmosphere.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2009, 05:00:50 AM »
Considering the absolute bomb touts were making on indoor shows, as well as the incredible hassle and stress of trying to buy tickets for shows that saw 4-5 times the number of people wanting to go as could go, I am staggered anyone would think an Arena show that sees 60,000 people unable to go and 20,000 able to go would be better overall. The meltdown for the Vertigo and Elevation indoor shows was a very unpleasant experience, I'm happy U2 play to all the people who want to go : a concert is not an elitest experience only for the rich and lucky, music should be for everyone.

Offline u2and

• Refugee
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2009, 05:31:22 AM »
Considering the absolute bomb touts were making on indoor shows, as well as the incredible hassle and stress of trying to buy tickets for shows that saw 4-5 times the number of people wanting to go as could go, I am staggered anyone would think an Arena show that sees 60,000 people unable to go and 20,000 able to go would be better overall. The meltdown for the Vertigo and Elevation indoor shows was a very unpleasant experience, I'm happy U2 play to all the people who want to go : a concert is not an elitest experience only for the rich and lucky, music should be for everyone.

Yeah, I dig what you're saying. Doesn't change the fact that watching a big show from with a mediocre/poor seat is a bit pointless.

Generally with music, the smaller venues offer a way better musical experience than playing in a vast football stadium or in huge shed on an industrial estate with terrible sound, overpriced drinks, terrible food and terrible transport links.

But U2 are a big band so what can you do...

Offline miaveni

• Babyface
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2009, 03:26:14 PM »
The big show was great for some points...not so great at others.  I loved the sound...pure delight!!! I love the fact that u2  can draw that huge of a crowd, I loved the stage..very cool. I loved that you could get a good look at Larry playing.  He was always hidden... I loved their remix of Crazy..great flare.  I had fun with that song.  One made me cry..such a good song.

Yet.  I have never had such a poor experience with u2 fans as I did for this show.  Usually they are kind, helpful, curtious, and overall happy, greatful people.  This time I had people shoving me, squeezing into our area where they didn't have a pass or ticket (rude) I had beer spilled on me.  I had young kids who were not even born when u2 started touring...bitching about "the old shows" people bitching about their seats...I like to go to the shows and talk to real hardcore fans....couldn't find many.  Maybe I just had sh**ty seats :-\  but I liked my seats???

I didn't like the security either, but I guess I have to try understand. But come on Bomb Dogs???? Really ?? 10 police motorcycles to bring them to the show???  A pat down before you could go into the stadium???   I wonder what will happen for the next show?  will we have to give a DNA sample or retina identification before we can buy tickets??? I surly hope the world does not come to that....

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2009, 03:35:12 PM »
If one is going to go and see a stadium type production like 360 with The Claw I think it is definitely better to get a strategically placed seat some way back in the stands so one can watch and listen to the whole visual spectacle rather than trying to get as close to the mammouth stage as possible.  One misses a key elements of the show in the cheap GA areas.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2009, 04:32:54 PM »
The big show was great for some points...not so great at others.  I loved the sound...pure delight!!! I love the fact that u2  can draw that huge of a crowd, I loved the stage..very cool. I loved that you could get a good look at Larry playing.  He was always hidden... I loved their remix of Crazy..great flare.  I had fun with that song.  One made me cry..such a good song.

Yet.  I have never had such a poor experience with u2 fans as I did for this show.  Usually they are kind, helpful, curtious, and overall happy, greatful people.  This time I had people shoving me, squeezing into our area where they didn't have a pass or ticket (rude) I had beer spilled on me.  I had young kids who were not even born when u2 started touring...bitching about "the old shows" people bitching about their seats...I like to go to the shows and talk to real hardcore fans....couldn't find many.  Maybe I just had sh**ty seats :-\  but I liked my seats???

I didn't like the security either, but I guess I have to try understand. But come on Bomb Dogs???? Really ?? 10 police motorcycles to bring them to the show???  A pat down before you could go into the stadium???   I wonder what will happen for the next show?  will we have to give a DNA sample or retina identification before we can buy tickets??? I surly hope the world does not come to that....

Can't comment on the peeps around you but it'd appear that security was beefed up due to the recent arrests & foiled plots.  That's a good sign that the authorities are keeping on top of security & seriously.