Author Topic: no more big staduim shows!  (Read 4455 times)

Offline highway190

• Refugee
  • Not telling you where the J Tree is.
Re: no more big staduim shows!
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2009, 06:17:09 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Oh - nonsense eh?
I've been at U2 shows in higher up seats or areas further away from the stage and have been so bored, I've ended up texting people or daydreaming. I know of lots of other people who think it's pointless being at a stadium show unless you're close-ish to the action. So, I'm not in a minority.

If you're bored, then you're boring.  :P

oopski: btw = by the way.

#@!

You're in a minority alright, a boring spoiled American minority. And I say that as an American. "I wanna see my arena shows because thats what "I" like best! So the band is automatically doing something wrong if they don't do what "I" like.

I've seen two shows from the nosebleeds (Popmart and Vertigo 06) and they were both better than the crap I saw in 2005 in an arena. If you're bored at a show of a band you're a fan of simply due to distance, thats your problem, not the bands problem for wanting to do something different.  Why go anyways? If you've had such "bad" experiences in the past with your terrible seats. Let someone else who'd actually appreciate it go. You know, someone who doesn't text and daydream during a concert because "WOE IS ME! I'M NOT CLOSE!" and I'm going to blame the band for my bad time. Gimme a break.  Go see Britney Spears, I hear shes playing indoors.

One some of the other complaints....

Oh, you had to ride on a train for 3 hours? Did you not know that when you bought tickets?  Yeah, I had to drive 3-4 hours to Dallas or 8 to Houston to see them in '01 and '05.  U2 doesn't have any control over how far your commute is.

Wow, babies in adult's clothing.

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2009, 06:24:36 PM »
Apart from not being able to see or hear the band properly, stadiums are a LOT better.....

::)

hurricane hugo

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2009, 07:23:45 PM »
Oh - nonsense eh?
I've been at U2 shows in higher up seats or areas further away from the stage and have been so bored, I've ended up texting people or daydreaming. I know of lots of other people who think it's pointless being at a stadium show unless you're close-ish to the action. So, I'm not in a minority.

#@!

That's not strictly true is it? Do you find everything you come across in life equally fascinating? Or do you find some things more interesting than others? Boredom is a relative term.

I find sitting where there is zero atmosphere at a stadium or arena gig way less interesting that being in the GA area near the front where there is atmosphere.

Concert experiences are what you make them. We're not talking about "everything in life". Go all out or go home.

#@!"

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2009, 08:25:03 PM »
Considering the absolute bomb touts were making on indoor shows, as well as the incredible hassle and stress of trying to buy tickets for shows that saw 4-5 times the number of people wanting to go as could go, I am staggered anyone would think an Arena show that sees 60,000 people unable to go and 20,000 able to go would be better overall. The meltdown for the Vertigo and Elevation indoor shows was a very unpleasant experience, I'm happy U2 play to all the people who want to go : a concert is not an elitest experience only for the rich and lucky, music should be for everyone.

X2 - YES!

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2009, 08:47:23 PM »
Considering the absolute bomb touts were making on indoor shows, as well as the incredible hassle and stress of trying to buy tickets for shows that saw 4-5 times the number of people wanting to go as could go, I am staggered anyone would think an Arena show that sees 60,000 people unable to go and 20,000 able to go would be better overall. The meltdown for the Vertigo and Elevation indoor shows was a very unpleasant experience, I'm happy U2 play to all the people who want to go : a concert is not an elitest experience only for the rich and lucky, music should be for everyone.

Yeah, I dig what you're saying. Doesn't change the fact that watching a big show from with a mediocre/poor seat is a bit pointless.

Generally with music, the smaller venues offer a way better musical experience than playing in a vast football stadium or in huge shed on an industrial estate with terrible sound, overpriced drinks, terrible food and terrible transport links.

But U2 are a big band so what can you do...

That's not necessarily true.  When I went to my first U2 concert in May '93 at Stade De La Beaujoire, Nantes, for the Zooropa Tour, I made sure I got in line by 3:30 PM to ensure a prime spot in front of the stage.  When the Stadium gates opened about an hour-n-half later I staked out a spot about 15-20 feet from dead center of the main stage, about halfway between the main stage & the satellite stage.  What I found remarkable was the sense of intimacy I felt inspite of being surround by 10,000 punters.  To be honest, the tens-of-thousands of punters behind me & off to the sides did not really register in my mind since I felt surrounded & enveloped by the scale of the production.

On the flip side, I attended a Sarah McLachlan concert in Seattle at the Paramount Theatre in Nov '97 for the Surfacing Tour.  The venue has a seating capacity of about 2807.  Even though I sat in the 5th row from the front of the main stage, this show felt emotionally distant, not because of the artist's performance, but because the venue itself killed off the intimacy.  What I mean by this is that the Paramount Theatre's proscenium arch, where the main stage sits behind and is framed by a large arch, created a spatial barrier between the artist & the audience.  It also did not help matters that Ms. McLachlan & her band stood at least 5 feet from the edge of the stage, adding to the distance with the audience.  Sitting in the audience, even at a location that was dead center, I constantly felt distracted by the proscenium because the impression I got from watching the performance was that of a large scale version of a live action tv set.  Since there was no audience seating off to the sides of the stage, the performers seemed isolated from their audience.

To make matters worse, proscenium theatres have very high walls & high ceilings.  When I looked at my surroundings throughout the evening, I felt a little claustrophobic, like I was sitting inside of an oversized shoebox.  It felt like we, the audience, could've been sardines in a can.  The worst moment of all was when a giant mirrorball was used at the end of Ms. McLachlan's main set to project rays of light out into the audience, enhancing the vibe of the song.  Because the mirrorball was placed so far back from the front of the stage, the lighting effect that the mirrorball was supposed to produce was effectively reduced because the theatre's stage design cut off where the lighting effect wound up.

Offline u2and

• Refugee
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2009, 02:02:24 AM »
Oh - nonsense eh?

#@!

That's not strictly true is it? Do you find everything you come across in life equally fascinating? Or do you find some things more interesting than others? Boredom is a relative term.

I find sitting where there is zero atmosphere at a stadium or arena gig way less interesting that being in the GA area near the front where there is atmosphere.

Concert experiences are what you make them. We're not talking about "everything in life". Go all out or go home.

#@!"

I am learning so much about myself from you - thank you. In future I'll try my best not to be boring and will always try to get the most out of life.

Offline u2and

• Refugee
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2009, 02:05:50 AM »
Oh - nonsense eh?

#@!

You're in a minority alright, a boring spoiled American minority. And I say that as an American. "I wanna see my arena shows because thats what "I" like best! So the band is automatically doing something wrong if they don't do what "I" like.

I've seen two shows from the nosebleeds (Popmart and Vertigo 06) and they were both better than the crap I saw in 2005 in an arena. If you're bored at a show of a band you're a fan of simply due to distance, thats your problem, not the bands problem for wanting to do something different.  Why go anyways? If you've had such "bad" experiences in the past with your terrible seats. Let someone else who'd actually appreciate it go. You know, someone who doesn't text and daydream during a concert because "WOE IS ME! I'M NOT CLOSE!" and I'm going to blame the band for my bad time. Gimme a break.  Go see Britney Spears, I hear shes playing indoors.

One some of the other complaints....

Oh, you had to ride on a train for 3 hours? Did you not know that when you bought tickets?  Yeah, I had to drive 3-4 hours to Dallas or 8 to Houston to see them in '01 and '05.  U2 doesn't have any control over how far your commute is.

Wow, babies in adult's clothing.

Maybe you could stop being so rude? I might be boring but you should learn some manners.

This is my opinion - I'm not saying it's everyone's opinion or even that I'm 100% right. But it's my opinion and I know others who share it - unlike me, they're not boring or 'babies in adult's clothing'.

Perhaps an anger management course for you?

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2009, 05:21:39 AM »
Big bands play big places.

We'd all like U2 to play our local pub for 2 hours to 250 people - but they won't. Since big bands play big places - and you'd be raising one enormous stink if they played locally and you couldn't get tickets - we have to accept what is likely.

What is worse? Seeing the band from the back... or not at all? Not at all.

Demand for U2 is and always has been high. A lot of people were VERY disappointed to not see any shows in 01 or 05 because of the shortage of tickets vs demand. I drove 400 miles to see them in 2001, even though they played five shows 8 miles from my home on that tour and I could not get even one ticket out of the 82,000 available in my home town.

Moaning that U2 aren't playing Arenas is pointless : if you're in the first 20,000 people at a 360 show, the 60,000 people behind you aren't the focus of the attention, so it is similar to an Arena show anyway. Why deny for others what you demand for yourself?

Offline u2and

• Refugee
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2009, 05:42:39 AM »
Big bands play big places.

We'd all like U2 to play our local pub for 2 hours to 250 people - but they won't. Since big bands play big places - and you'd be raising one enormous stink if they played locally and you couldn't get tickets - we have to accept what is likely.

What is worse? Seeing the band from the back... or not at all? Not at all.

Demand for U2 is and always has been high. A lot of people were VERY disappointed to not see any shows in 01 or 05 because of the shortage of tickets vs demand. I drove 400 miles to see them in 2001, even though they played five shows 8 miles from my home on that tour and I could not get even one ticket out of the 82,000 available in my home town.

Moaning that U2 aren't playing Arenas is pointless : if you're in the first 20,000 people at a 360 show, the 60,000 people behind you aren't the focus of the attention, so it is similar to an Arena show anyway. Why deny for others what you demand for yourself?

I'm not saying U2 should or shouldn't play arenas - or football stadiums - or their garden shed for that matter.

But the thread is suggesting these shows are too big and, unless you have a good ticket, a bit pointless. Which I agree with...

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2009, 08:25:36 AM »
The criteria for me has always been that I have to have good sound & sightlines with great seats or GA, and whether in stadiums or arenas.   I prefer arena shows b/c they are more intimate, less hassle,  and at least in my city, the sound is far better.  There are definitely arena & stadium shows ( U2 and other bands) that I have not been able to get decent tix for, and/or have either forfeited going or had to pay alot more than face to get tix.     I have not gone to some shows (eg. Popmart) b/c tix were too hard or too expensive for my budget &  to get good seats/ sightlines.   My 2nd U2 show, ZOO, I had to pay through the nose for great floor seats but I don't regret it one iota.   

Do I wish I saw Popmart and some other bands that I haven't?  In hindsight, sure! But I made that call and I curse more that I didn't see certain bands in small venues when I had the opportunity.   I knew for 360, I'd have to go GA and floor to get good sound, energy and sightlines, and the experience I wanted.   I'd have to line up at a decent time to get a good spot.  And GA lineups are not something I like doing too much anymore but for U2, its something I'm willing to do in good weather.  It was totally worth it for me and tix were the cheapest that I've ever had to pay ( $75 all s/c in). 

So u2and - maybe you have to just go GA for a better experience? 

hurricane hugo

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2009, 11:02:42 AM »
I am learning so much about myself from you - thank you. In future I'll try my best not to be boring and will always try to get the most out of life.

glad to be of help.  8)

#@!