Author Topic: Watch you tube or be surprised?  (Read 4030 times)

Offline onetreehill

• Up With the Sun
  • to the rhythm of my soul
Watch you tube or be surprised?
« on: January 09, 2009, 10:30:52 PM »
so in this day and age of instant imagery, my question is, with the new tour hopefully starting soon and the life of You Tube, would you watch concert footage of the new tour before they come to your area, or would you wait and walk into the stadium/arena and be surprised?

Personally, as hard as it is, the last tour I didn't watch or read anything about the tour because I wanted to "experience" it fresh.  I did not know anything about Pop and I was blown away by the stage before the show even started.

Offline evel12314

• Elevated
  • Squeeze out sparks of light.
Re: Watch you tube or be surprised?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 11:35:18 AM »
I'm not going to watch any tour videos, or even look at the setlists. I want to see and hear everything for first time when I go to the concert.

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 12:54:48 PM »
I plan on trying to go to the opening night of the tour (if possible) since I want to be surprised and don't have the willpower to NOT read/watch anything before I actually see them. 

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 01:19:23 PM »
I will probably not want to see any footage of a show, I want that element of suprise. However, I will read descriptions and look at a few photos of the stage design etc, as this will help me decide which tickets to buy and where to stand or sit at the show to get the best possible views. I have taken this approach on every tour I have seen.

Offline bonogrl from Boston

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I had the feeling it was out of control
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 08:04:44 PM »
I don't plan on watching any youtube vidoes or reading anything about the set list.  I feel like knowing everything ahead of time takes away from my experience.  I like the mystery, it's exciting.

Offline Edges Les Paul

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • This is Edge; we're not sure where we got him.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 01:27:03 PM »
Last time I went, it was my first huge rock concert, and it was really cool experiencing everything fresh. So I think I will try to avoid all spoilers in this area as well.

Revolver7

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 03:13:52 PM »
I don't have the means or the money to see U2 on the upcoming tour...so, it'll be Youtube for me!  :)

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 03:44:30 PM »
I don't like surprises. If I'm watching a tense movie, I pause it, look it up online, read about how it ends and then get back to the movie. I like to know what I'm getting myself into.

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 04:00:25 PM »
unfortunately im a geek and when u2 are touring im always looking at the setlists wondering what they will play,if there is any pattern what might play when they get to my town.it was  abit to easy last tour as they kinda had two main sets which they rotated with the odd surprise every so often eg. chicago 4th night in may after filming of dvd had finished !

Offline Ro~Jo

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 05:34:26 PM »
If I can make it to a show, I'll stay away from Youtube.  If I can't, I'll probably waste way too much time on that site.  Either way, I'll allow myself some reviews and setlists.

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 04:34:08 PM »
I guess i'm different because i looked up the new music awhile ago and really liked that song magnicient even if i couldnt hear it too well, it was like a tease, i liked it....

hurricane hugo

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 07:43:47 PM »
If the European shows start before the American shows begin to go on sale, damn right I'm checking Youtube. I need to see what the stage's sightlines are like; my best friend's only 5'3", and I have to make sure I get seats where she can see.

#@!

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 03:33:57 AM »
Waiting for months has been historically too much for me as i've always looked at bits&pieces and set-lists for the Elevation & Vertigo tour.

That said...with the Tour opening in Europe, it'll be only a few weeks before I discover the show so it's time for a surprise !!!