Author Topic: *SPOILER* Thoughts/review on last nights Giants Stadium show...  (Read 1699 times)

Offline satchelg

• Wanderer
  • When the soul wants...the soul waits...
*SPOILER* Thoughts/review on last nights Giants Stadium show...
« on: September 24, 2009, 07:12:42 AM »
Let me preface this by saying my wife and I are huge U2 fans.  We've seen them at least 10 times together and I've seen them probably closer to 30 times in my life.    We've seen them in all types of places (stadiums, indoor arenas, etc.) But I have to say last night was not a great show.  It was still better than almost any other band I'd see, but they've set the bar so high last night just didn't cut it.

For this show, we were in the RZ1 (Edges side) which I believe after actually seeing the show from that viewpoint, it was probably the second best place to view the show other than up against the rail on the outside of the inner circle looking straight on (basically for those who didnt get into the inner circle ).  Of course you'd have everyone pushing up against you so it probably wasn't worth the hassle.  The view for us was great and the acoustics were excellent.  The access to the RZ area was great as well with private bathrooms and concession and we could enter (at 6:15pm mind you) without any line hassle and were able to get almost right up against the rail towards the front of the stage part of the RZ where we could see the band in its entirety albeit a little to the side.  And although we never took advantage, we were told (and I did see it at one point) that we could get into the inner circle.  But we preferred where we were so we could see a bit more of the show and not be as congested.  The RZ areas were very open and a fun place to be.

And I can't continue without at least sharing my thoughts on the Claw.  Wow.  What an immense incredible piece of technology.  I felt a little bad for the spotlight guys who were in seats/harnesses and were lofted up to the top of each of the 4 legs but probably what a cool vantage point for them.  It was everything I expected and more.  And it really did seem to make the place feel smaller.

Muse was an excellent opener and I really enjoyed their performance - very talented guys who are built for a stadium-type performance.  They played loud, anthemic, sing-along type songs and were fun to watch.  My favorites were Supermassive Blackhole and Knights of Cydonia.

Then of course U2 came out and the place went nuts.  I loved the Space Oddity and new U2 song (from Songs of Ascent) intro.  That really got the crowd pumped up.  And for the most part, the first half of the show was excellent.  They sounded tight and Bono's voice sounded great.  But still in the back of my mind it didn't feel right.  Not sure if it was the stadium and how it takes away the intimacy of the band as the indoor arenas provide, but we just didn't feel the connection we usually do at a U2 show between the fans and the band.  And the thing is we've seen them at stadiums (even soccer stadiums in Brazil) and I never felt that loss of connection to the band.

But I would say once they got to New Year's Day the band started to lose its tightness and Bono's vocals seemed to stray.  I do believe that there were some sound issues because often he was doing hand motions to signal to lower certain instruments/vocals and sometimes even just saying it directly into the mic (I think that happened during the piano part of Moment of Surrender).  MLK was really off.  It took Bono a good minute to get the song started and I think the bass was too heavy that he couldn't even hear himself.  MOS was not great either and it was ashame as I love the song and think its a great closer.

I read a few times previously that it seems as of late, the band hasn't really been passionate in their performances of the classics and I definitely noticed that last night.  SBS, One, WOWY were just uninspiring to me and seemed like they were just going through the motions.

I was a bit surprised to not get Unknown Caller as well as I've seen that in most setlists and its one of my favorites.

At any rate, I'm sure I'll get a lot of people pi**ed off but I'm just being honest.  It could have just been the show and that tonight the band will be back in full form for the entirety of the show and they will work out the glitches.  I do hope they can find a way to connect with the fans a little better in this huge setting and hope that everyone enjoys their show.

And again I don't want to mislead and say we didn't enjoy it.  It just wasn't a typical U2 show for us.

Oh and some advice - if you decide to take the train be prepared to wait awhile for the ride home.  We took the Secaucus Junction line to the Meadowlands and the show ended about 11 or so and we didn't get onto a train until almost 1am.  I've never seen such massive crowds waiting for a train in my life.  And the worst was we had a 2 hour drive after that to get back home to Philly!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 11:44:10 AM by satchelg »

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
Re: Thoughts/review on last nights Giants Stadium show...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 10:36:21 AM »
Very good and constructive review, satchelg!  No flaming or anything on that, and I'm sorry they didn't lift off for you at your show.  Points taken & I think your review is very objective rather than just highly negative or critical.  Sorry there were sound issues, no Unknown Caller for you and MOS was disappointing also.  Hopefully they can inject more passion and energy into their classics/ warhorses in future, and resolve any sound issues they're having.       

Offline u2bono269

• Babyface
  • @atU2 Tours Staffer
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 11:38:13 AM »
that was a very thoughtful review, but I'm afraid I have to disagree.  I'm sure it wasn't the best show they've ever done, but from my perspective (third row from Bono), the energy was probably the best of the 7 shows I've seen.  I'll be there again tonight, hopefully by then they'll have those issues with Bono's earpiece ironed out. 

It's got to be really hard for them to play a song like New Year's Day with the same vibe as other songs.  When you've played it so many times, how do you put a fresh spin on it?

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
Re: Thoughts/review on last nights Giants Stadium show... *SPOILER*
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 11:38:56 AM »
Hey good review and remember...It's an opinion....

I was there last night and let me see what I can come up with.  As a whole, I thought it was excellent.  I think with outside broadcasts you immediately lose the intimacy of an arena show.  For instance, remember with Zoo TV (OB) and Pompmart, they were themed shows with characters.  So the focus was not as much on U2 but, things like, "why the F are they walking out like it's a boxing match" or "SO MUCH VISUAL STIMULATION".  These things are what added the intrique to the last outside shows.  This shows catch is "the claw".  What happens, it's once you're over the "Holy F" factor of the claw, you are left with the performance.  So Here we go:

1) Kingdom - Yea it's prerecorded but I bet you the average fan got home and typed on Google, "song U2 is coming out to 360 with?".
2) Breathe - This has been debated since the dawn of time...Or rather Barcelona 6/30/2009.  Why "Breathe"? Regardless, it sounded great. A lot of energy and pop and got the crowd going.
3) Magnificent - Where we going? Sounded tremendous. Heart thumping.  It's obvious this has sounded great all tour.
4) GOYB - For those people who hated this on release....It works live. Trust me
5) I Still Haven't found - They've gone back to the old version and it sounded great.  The crowd pretty much sang most of the verse. But for the older fans, this one holds meaning.
6) She's the One/Desire - Rumors were flying that Bruce had soundchecked this with the band so anticipation was at a frenzy.  But he didn't come out so in all honesty, I would've skipped it.
7) Elevation - Sound was a little off because this is where Bono started flapping his hands asking for tuning of instruments. I thought it was solid but I did notice this.
8) Your Blue Room - I liked it! Bathroom runs were everywhere.  I think it's just too slow for people to get into. I liked it for it's "newness" but it needs to be rethinked. It deflates the crowd.
9) Beautiful Day - Place went nuts.
10) NLOTH - Got the crowd going. Sound may have seemed a little muddled but again, in an outside stadium, tweaking sound per venue to be perfect is a longshot.
11) New Year's Day - I did hear the sound issues the OP was talking about. The piano cut in an out and Edge's solo was in and out in the beginning. I don't know, it's modern tech and tough to say why it went in and out.  I did notice on NYD that it was all over the place.
12) Stuck in a Moment - I like the acoustic version a lot.  It may have been  Matt who said I'd like it live and he was right. Edge can still sing falsetto like someone is grinding his grapes. Edgefest?
13) TUF - Outstanding. The lights and sound really blended well.
14) City of Blinding Lights - For those not close to the stage, look for a "Tower of Light" to shoot out of the top.
15) Vertigo - The place exploded.  You can tell a merging of the old/new fans when this is played. Again there were minor sound issues.
16) IGC (Remix) - What an insane idea for these guys to pull this off.  Outstanding. This has been solid all tour
17) SBS - I agree with the OP...The energy is fading with this one and I completely understand. Some people expect for Bono to get out and wave the flag a la 1983, but it's 2009.
18) MLK - Why is this not working this tour? Something is way off. Bono couldn't find his note, and they music sounded muddled.
19) Walk On - Sounded good - I ran into a "One" campaigner beforehand and I implored her to ditch the mask. I think I spotted that little minx on stage....
20) One - Sounded good especially without the 7 minute "Vertigo" tour intro. Very little speechifying this show. Again, Bono was flapping his arms with sound issues.
21) Streets - 75,000 fans jumping.....
22) Ultraviolet - Not keen on the robot intro. A lot of "WFT" faces around me. Song however, WOW! When Bono hits those notes in the 2nd verse...You have to be impressed.
23) WOWY - Sounded good to me - Plus we got the "Shine like stars" refrain which makes it. It's another song that they feel like they're going through the motions.
24) MOS - Yes 24!!! I like this song but not as a closer. Especially when sound issues arise. Bono was flapping for the bass to be adjusted. I'm actually surprised they don't have sound spotters around the arena during the show pumping in feedback to the soundboard. I've seen that before. Again, GREAT SHOW REGARDLESS!

So there were sound issues coupled with a static performance but in the end....It's U2 live and there's nothing like U2 live.  So there'll be sound issues with outside gigs and yea, they've played the classics thru and thru. But if they didtch them, then people complain. So really, U2 can't win. I go to see them. I expected sound issues and I expected fundamental classic performances.  Bottom line, I'm going back tonight.  Not hoping to hear a better show but a different one. I want "UC" and "Bad".  I'll cheer and scream like a little girl and have a blast.  If you go to this show, expect a ridiculous stage and a band that has been playing certain songs for 20+ years. If you go in hoping that you see the perfect show...Sell your ticket. It'll never be perfect but as an experience it's a must!!!!

Good post Satchelg. I added *SPOLIER* to the top.
21)

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 11:40:01 AM »
Can an Admin post *Spolier* To the top please. Someone who is in the dark should stay blind on this one.
 :)

Offline yam_yam

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
How much room did you have within the red zone? because from my view point at both wembley shows it seemed that there was a lot of room in there. to me this would wreck my experience.

why?

because having sweaty, excited, pumped up people around you in close proximity is a huge chunk of what makes a show. to have loads of space to me would be like sitting in my living room watching a dvd. and if i did let loose and start jumping round then the people near me would probably look at me funny and i'd feel like an idiot myself, but with others around you doing the same it makes no difference.

Offline U2Fan

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Everything in the f****** hotel is brown.
Re: *SPOILER* Thoughts/review on last nights Giants Stadium show...
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 11:59:25 AM »
I was there last night on Edge's side of the inner circle.   I agree that they were going through the motions.  There were definitely problems with sound at certain points.  It's probably because of stadium vs. arena.  Arena shows are much better.  Perhaps this show is better viewed from far away to get the whole effect from The Claw.  The people in the GA inner circle were annoying.   I'd say 25% of the place was walking out (stands and GA) before Moment of Surrender ended.   One thing I noticed is that the sound was much louder at the back of the floor than on the left side of the inner circle.   Perhaps tonight I will stay further back and see if I enjoy it better.

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 12:03:31 PM »
I noticed that too.  When they were playing MOS, people were filing out. Hey, don't come to a show if you're that worried about getting home. I still say, MOS is not a good closer. 

Offline satchelg

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 12:06:43 PM »
There was a mix of both.  If you are up against the rail especially in the area closest to the field so you can see the stage best it was more crowded and more like a true GA experience.  But if you wanted to breathe you'd only have to step back a few feet.  It was a nice combination.

Believe me I've experienced them all and love the true GA experience as well and did it twice on the last tour with incredible results (center stage - maybe 2 people back).

That might also be why last night felt a little disappointing because you really can never match that intensity.

Even at last nights show if you were inner circle up against the rail its not the same as being upfront at an indoor show.  They moved around much more (and had to) last night.

Regarding the older songs, of course its tough for a new spin and I wasn't even asking for that.  And I agree there isnt a better live show.  I'm just giving my opinion in comparison to previous shows and I've been to a lot.

Offline jjazznola

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 12:08:09 PM »
I was centerstage right behind the rail on the outside of the inner circle. The energy and the sound were incredible. This was around my 20th time seeing the band. Yes they do lack the passion of the old days but they are still an awesome band. Every new song was better live than on the record. Loved the Bruce Tribute and hearing My Blue Room, one of my faves,  for the 1st time. For my taste, some tunes from the Achtung/Zooropa/Pop days would really fit this modern, hi tech stage. And no FEZ from NLOTH? Song choices aside, my only real complaint is that they do the exact same encore every show, ending with MOS. People were leaving in droves during that last song. I like the song but c'mon, knock us out at the end! Bad, 40 whatever..... Oh well, hoping for a lot of different songs tonight!

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 12:26:44 PM »
Shine like Stars was sung last night at the end of WOWY?????  Why couldnt they have done that at Boston 1 :(

Offline satchelg

• Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 12:42:36 PM »
I don't believe it was....I know he was talking a lot but I don't think he did that verse....Might be wrong but I know my wife loves that and would have said something if he did.

Offline ABloodRedSky

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • We're sorry, we're closed for lunch.
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 12:45:42 PM »
I was there, didn't hear it.   :-\

Offline U2Fan

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Everything in the f****** hotel is brown.
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 12:47:31 PM »
It wasn't.  He did the extra verse in One (Hear us coming...)

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 12:55:08 PM »
Yea he did the hear us coming verse at Boston 1 too.  Oh I wish he did Shine Like Stars though, I sang it anyway, instead of the 2nd OHHH part.   Still epic though