Author Topic: *SPOILER* The U2 Experience & passing it down to generations (Giants Stadium II)  (Read 2560 times)

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
Well, it's over (for now). The months of anticipation. The Twittering of thoughts and setlists with new found friends. The wondering of which songs I was going to hear. For now...It is done. Last night, I went to my 2nd show at Giants Stadium in as many nights.  The first night was reserved for friends where we tailgated and I probably had a bit too much. The show was good. A few sound issues but overall it was good.  I was across from the stage, up high.  I actually loved the seats. That stage does so many things that I don't think you see when you're up close. But a lot of things go on downstairs that you miss when you're far away.  Well, last night we got there and when I saw we, I mean my wife, my 14 year old step-daughter (I never use step), and myself.  It was I think my 7th U2 show.  For some reason I missed the "Elevation" tour.  Not sure if I was still wrongfully pi**ed at "Pop" and the whole "Macphisto" thing from 1993.  I regret missing that tour.  Anywho...So last night we were behind the stage in the 200s.  I really hated the seats because we were under an overhang which really kills the sound and we couldn't see the top of the stage.  My wife, Brenda, and I played it up to our daughter and pumped up how good the seats were (maybe I should have waited for tix, but I was so excited to have secured them I hit enter without looking at a seating chart).  

Once Bowie came on, I looked at my daughter and told her to get ready and then I realized. I was her age, when I got fully, no holds barred, into U2. I dabbled in 1983 with UABRS, but I was 11 and liked Adam Ant for Christ's sake. What did I know. "Im the dandy highway man that you're to scared to mention..." Sorry, I drifter into "Stand & Deliver". Anyway, so "Kingdom" comes on and I do my useless information thing and tell my 2 girls that this is a new song coming out. They both gave me the "why do you know that?" angry badger face they've perfected. Then LMJ comes strutting out.  Right then I know we're looking at "Breathe". They kick in and I could tell the energy was way different from Giants I. After that song I caught a nice smile off my teenager (a feat which is not easily attained. Teenagers smile less than LMJ at times).  Then they rip into "GOYB" which has really gained some fans live.  It is such a crowd pumper. After that, the recent mixup continued with "Mysterious Ways".  Now I miss the Edge extended solo with this but this song really pops live.  This was when my daughter turned to me and was like "Holy Sh*t" but wanting to avoid a grounding, she used the proper expletive in "Wow". LOL - Then came "BD". This song has a little more meaning for my family. MY wife and I got married when my daughter was 5 in 2001. "BD" is all over my wedding video. To the point that when it was played at our wedding, the videographer caught me singing it to my wife while dancing and he overdubbed the actual song to match up with my signing (Edge, Adam, LMJ...if you ever need a sub for Bono??). My daughter loves "BD" and was jumping around with my wife and I.  "NLOTH" was next.  It's kind of a hard song to dance to but we truddled along. Yea I just made up a verb because when I dance there is no word to describe it.  You need a amde up word. Then was "Magnificent" and before it came on I turned to my girls and said, "Where we going?". Again, the "angry badger" confused face. Of course Bono followed me and asked Edge, "Where we going?". Then I got the pathetic, "how did you know that" look again. Anyway, "Magnificent" kicked hard.  They sounded so solid. Edge has really become a master of the slide.  His solos are so fluid and the notes he hits strike such flowing melodies. They get to me sometimes. "Elevation" blew the doors off of GS. We were screaming the "ooo-ooos" with Bono and jumping. All three of us were singing at each other. It was awesome. Bono turned the mike over to the crowd at times. He has to be getting a bet overworked 32+ shows in. My daughter couldn't believe that 75,000+ people would sing like we did. Then Bono did a little talking and lead the crowd into "I Still Haven't Found...". Again, the crowd took over for parts. I love the fact that they're back to the old version. Such a great song. When Edge's solo came up, however, I was the only person yelling for him to take us to church. A little Bonoism from some old bootlegs. Edge jammed away with his patented left foot stomp. Place was singing their hearts out.  I asked my daughter to look around and see everyone.  All were singing and yelling. So awesome! Then they ran that into "Stand by Me". The three of us did the arms around each other and sang with Bono. It was a nice moment as a Dad. It hit me a little hard emotionally. Now I'm pretty soft when it comes to emotions. I'm as sarcastic as they come and I'll argue with the best of them. When something tugs on my heartstrings, I'm sold. To this day, I haven't seen the end of Karate Kid when Daniel kicks Johnny with the crane kick (*spoiler* LOL) with a dry eye. So after "Stand by me", I heard some birds. I think Edgefest made a call for me because I was dying to hear this one live and they shelved it for GS I. This song is so well written musically. I still don't think it has been fully accepted by the U2 community. When Terry kicked in with the Hammond and Bono hit every one of the "bah bah bah bah bahs" it ran perfectly right into Edge's grinding and what I think may be his best solo since "The Fly". You want emotion, watch Edge and listen to that solo. Such passion. After "UC" came "UTEOTW". This song live is a Top 5. Ever since I saw it live on Zoo TV I've loved it. That solo is amazing too.  By this point, the whole band had made it's way to the backseaters which was cool.  They'de stop in front of us and shake their big fat ass. It was cool. "Stay" was next...Oh boy! How do I put this nicely...Um...Bono...he needs a prompter just in case...He turned a 3 minute song into an 8 minute epic adventure. Forgetting lyrics. Moving verses around. Edge might of been like, "Yo Bono...This song is 3 chords...You're killing me..." There was actually one point where Bono was looking out into space trying to figure out where to go.  By this point, I had told my girls that we were getting the extended version. After Bono's Alzheimer moment came "TUF". WOW! All 3 of us were loving "TUF". For those who thought Terry played the backing piano it's Edge. He does the "New Year's Day" thing. Piano, guitar, piano, guitar. Whatever he lacks in follicles he makes up 100 fold in talent. Love that guy! Not in an Edgefest way, but man love! Like, going into a foxhole who do I want? Edge and his Explorer! So "TUF" was tremendous including the gorgeous staging. The next song was "COBL". Now this song holds a lot of meaning for me tracing back to 9/11. Long story short, my wife was in NYC at the time of 9/11 working at Foxnews. Phones were down and communication was difficult.  The only way we were able to talk, was through AOL IM. To this day, we have the IMs from 9/11 and each Anniversary of 9/11 we look them over to remind us of that horrible day. The IMs included us saying goodbye to each other should the unthinkable happen. It was a terrifying time. So once "COBL" started, Bono made his way to a catwalk and began reaching down. After a little bit before the song kicked in, he had grabbed a kid and pulled him up.  Once the song kicked in he began running around the stage with the kid. This really hit my wife and I hard. Already this song kills us, but watching Bono running with a kid in a Fatherly manner struck so many chords it was a cacophony in my head. I was thinking about 9/11 and the possibility of losing my wife. I was thinking about Bono losing his Father and then me losing my Mother at 24 years old. I was thinking about me and my 3 kids. Next thing I know...I was fricken tearing up at a concert.  That can't be right, can it? My wife by this point was balling. We were trying to hide it because our daughter was in between us. Then the lyrics kicked in and Bono was walking around the stage with the boy almost singing to him a song about the effects of terrorism and rising up afterword. Now this kid probably wasn't alive when 9/11 occurred but this was so moving. Here is this kid, all innocent, his whole life in front of him and Bono gave the ere that he was teaching him a lesson.  He even gave the kid his shades. Maybe I'm reading into it a bit, but like I said this song carries meaning.  It was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had at a concert. After that, thank God, came "Vertigo". My wife and I caught each others look and I mouthed, "Man that killed me". She agreed. So we wiped our eyes and then got back to jumping with "Vertigo". Spanish lessons? Such a good live song. This is really the song that got my daughter into U2 so we were all singing at the top of our lungs. After that came the bobbing heads and the remix. Whoever thought of this idea is a genius. It works on so many levels. Whether it's the tough looking smirks on their bobbing heads or Larry going in the round with his drum. Edge was jumping up and down and Adam was doing the tour. Such a great live song! Early in the show, Bono had mentioned some new songs possibly. Well, it was getting late in the set so I was guessing no. Once the screen turned green, I knew we were looking at "Sunday Bloody Sunday". Sounded great and again, my daughter knows this one well.  The only thing I wish is that they would speed it up even if only a halfbeat. It's so good when it's fast. But it sounded awesome. "MLK" closed out "SBS" and began the tribute to Aung Sun Soo Kyi. I still don't feel like "MLK" is working on this tour.  I'm not sure what's missing. But this song holds meaning to me as well (shocker). I would play this on guitar and sing it to my littlest daughter who's 2.5 now, when she would go to bed. With that said, this song hits my wife because of that fact. Awe...Her husband is a softy! :-) - Right into "Walk On" we went. Once "Walk On" came, I knew the rest of the show. Let me say now...I don't like the masked people. I get the concept but not a fan. The song, however, was great. Edge's solo was spot on and it sounded great. After "Walk On", they left the stage. Then my buddy Desmond (Thanks Edgefest...How embarrassing) came on.  That speech is great. It is not really speechifying but it gets the point across. As his speech winds up, the backing sequencer of "One" starts. I asked my daughter if she knew what was next, and she knew. This version of  "One" is great. The "Vertigo" tour's "One" had a 10 minute speech from Bono beforehand and made the song drag. As "One" wound down, I told my daughter to get ready to be blown away. THe keyboard intro of "Streets" came on and she knew right away that Daddy's favorite song was coming. The place went ballistic. This is the one song every fan needs to see live. It takes on such new meaning. I love it! After "Streets", they left again.  Then came the static encore that is the last remaining thing not to change since opening night. So the robot started talking which is something I really don't get. Then Bono came out in his lazer coat and the mix lit up. So cool. "Ultraviolet" is such an awesome song and it was a great call to bring it back. Both my girls didn't really know this song but they liked it.  Then came "WOWY" and it sounded great.  Yea they may seem like they're going through the motions but it's a crowd pleaser. The red steering wheel turned blue for this one with a cool disco ball being lowered to add effect. Edge's simple guitar strumming on this song and Adam's driving bassline make it. Not to mention the fact that LMJ doesn't get enough credit.  He has developed into a solid drummer. Playing all kinds of rolls and offbeats. It's great to hear. So, Bono thanked the crowd and began (a little late) "MOS". This song is very nice live but should not close. I'm a big "40" fan. Hey if ACDC can us "For Those About to Rock" at every show.....Anyway, it wounded great and again, Edge dons Piano and guitar duties. After the song finished the band came to the front of the stage and bowed, etc. They really look like they have so much fun playing together after all this time. They are such an anomaly. Bono informed the crowd that an attendance record had been set beating out the Pope. The other 3 laughed. Probably felt a bit guilty.
They also acknowledged that this was the last "Giants Stadium" show for them ever. It's getting torn down. I saw Popmart there as well as a Zoo TV show. Nice venue. All in all, this tour lived up to my expectations. I'm sure there will be some more setlist tinkering and I'll be following.  I'll also be waiting for 2010 dates to see where I'm going? Such an amazing show and that "City of Blinding Lights" moment will stay with me forever. Such a touching moment and a great night as I passed on the U2 experience to my daughter.  A new generation of U2 fans. Hope everyone enjoys or enjoyed their shows.  I'm going nowhere but it has been great chatting with all of you. U2 fans are truly one of a kind!

Offline ElJayVee

• Airborne Ranger
  • Love is clockworks and cold steel
What an awesome review, Gravy!  Didn't Bono say something about their songs having meaning to the people who listen to them and that's what makes a great song?  I'm sorry the seats weren't great, but it sounds like you and your family had a great time anyway.

I can't wait for Vancouver!!

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What an awesome review, Gravy!  Didn't Bono say something about their songs having meaning to the people who listen to them and that's what makes a great song?  I'm sorry the seats weren't great, but it sounds like you and your family had a great time anyway.

I can't wait for Vancouver!!

Thanks - I got over the seats real fast. Right about the time the drums began to "Breathe" I think. LOL - You'll enjoy the show. FULLY!!!

countrygirl

Gravy,

WOW, It took me a half hour to read that, but WOW!!!!!  Thanks for taking the time to do that. I still have goosebumps.  I knew you were sarcastic, but I didn't know what an emotional guy you were. My husband is like that...sarcastic and emotional at the same time! LOL :D :D

I'm down to 6 days, and Just when i didn't think it was possible to be more excited, you did it to me.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
Awesome review gravy11!   8)  Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and emotions about your experience!  Well worth the read and very vivid!  I'm so glad you experienced & shared this with your wife and girls! 

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
Thanks guys - Yea I'm a sap but a proud one. LOL - Their songs really do carry meanings. I know that holds true for all music, but for some reason, I relate more to U2's when it comes to moments in my life and tying together music with life. Get psyched for the shows if you're coming up...Especially if it's your first....Ahem....U2CG!!!! ;-)

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
Thanks guys - Yea I'm a sap but a proud one. LOL - Their songs really do carry meanings. I know that holds true for all music, but for some reason, I relate more to U2's when it comes to moments in my life and tying together music with life. Get psyched for the shows if you're coming up...Especially if it's your first....Ahem....U2CG!!!! ;-)

Yeah for me too ( and many others for sure!).   Nothing like 9/11 for you and yours but many songs for many different parts of my life.  I got teary too at my concert. 

@countygirl - You're a U2virgin?   :o  You're in for a treat!!!! 

Offline NJCameraman

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Man that was a lot of reading!!! I feel like I just relived the show! I've seen just about every NJ stadium show the band has done and this was absolutely one of the best! I'd go through the highlights but do i need to again? Just gotta say that especially as a parent "City of Blinding Lights" was amazing! I could picture my 4-year old daughter up there (Bono might have a tough time keeping up with her!!) and I choked up a bit too last night.

Really hoping they come back to NJ next year. Hey since Bruce is closing the old stadium how about letting these guys open the new one? Tis only fair I'd say!

Thanks for the wonderful review!!!!!

Offline satchelg

• Wanderer
  • When the soul wants...the soul waits...
Gravy - great review.  Did you like #2 more than #1? Just curious since we shared some convo on #1.  

Also I didn't see any mention of the MOFO snippet.  How did that sound and did the crowd go nuts?  Did you think they were playing the whole thing?

I'm just hoping they make it to Philly next year as the trip to NJ was a rough one for us with the drive and the train.

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
Wow Gravy!  That was so excellent.  I am saving that for posterity as you've went through every song and your emotions during each of them, beautifully written!!  (And thanks for the shout outs :) :) :) ).

Yes, I Blackberry messaged Edge to request UC for you.  He doesn't do the phone thing anymore... :P

My first show was basically "I love you Edge, I love you Edge, I love you Edge, I love you Edge..."  (I ended up going to that one on my own due to a late announcement from security as to when people could rejoin the GA queue, my gals couldn't make it back to me in time so it was just me and Edge together that night).  

As for Chicago 1 being my first show, I'm so glad I went to a number of them to just enjoy and be as opposed to the initial shock of "OMG it's U2!"

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
Re: *SPOILER* The U2 Experience & passing it down to generations (Giants Stadium
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 11:30:01 AM »
Gravy - great review.  Did you like #2 more than #1? Just curious since we shared some convo on #1.  

Also I didn't see any mention of the MOFO snippet.  How did that sound and did the crowd go nuts?  Did you think they were playing the whole thing?

I'm just hoping they make it to Philly next year as the trip to NJ was a rough one for us with the drive and the train.

Soundwise...Number 2 killed 1. The "Mofo" snippet was overdone meaning most people probably missed it. It wasn't like the driving keyboard kicked in and everyone realized it was "mofo". It was a typical lyrical snippet Bono does. At least in my book. I still think this tour is going to produce some surprises for everyone.

countrygirl

Re: *SPOILER* The U2 Experience & passing it down to generations (Giants Stadium
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 12:15:10 PM »

Yeah for me too ( and many others for sure!).   Nothing like 9/11 for you and yours but many songs for many different parts of my life.  I got teary too at my concert. 

@countygirl - You're a U2virgin?   :o  You're in for a treat!!!! 

Yep, I am a u2VIRGIN!!! How about that? I can't wait!! ;D

Offline rupert

• Babyface
Thanks for the awesome review.  It actually made me look forward even more to the shows I'm going to next week. 

Offline squiggles

• Wanderer
Great review! I was at both shows....wish my seats had been closer.

I actually thought Crazy Tonight was a lot of fun, bongos and all, disco ball lighting....very playful, and the visuals on screen of the four of them nodding in unison was great.

Stay was a total mess, and I say that with love. ;) Not only were the verses all mixed up, he literally stopped singing an started mumbling and staring into space for a good minute and a half, then started the whole thing over. LOL. I love that song though...but still, with that detour it was LONG!

Moment of Surrender was gorgeous...the visual on the screens of them all singing the chorus in unison (except adam) was very moving. I actually thought it was perfect. That song's like a hymn so it felt like a fitting end.

One other thing - it's wonderful to see them together, after 33 yrs I guess, still enjoying performing and enjoying each other. So relaxed and comfortable. You can see the love they have for their audience, their work and each other and you see it w/ their smiles, gestures, bono's shout outs to the others and the audience. As they walked out down the ramp together, it was obvious that these 4 were absolutely meant to be together, doing exactly what they are doing.

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 03:46:48 PM »
You know I remember thinking about "MOS" when they were playing it and how it showed 75% of the band (come on Adam...) singing their hearts out.  Good point!

For those wondering how my daughter liked the show, here's her Facebook status (before the Mothers decide to set a mob after me brandishing pitchforks and torches...Her account is more secured than Fort Knox and no one can contact her outside of family. Also anything she does is copied and sent to me). Anyway, here's her latest status:

"Went to the U2 360 tour last night. Got blown away. Muse opened for them and were great. But U2 was just too amazing for words. OMG OMG OMG!!!!"

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!