Author Topic: GA Questions  (Read 2097 times)

Offline thedaybreakers

• Stranger in a Strange Land
GA Questions
« on: September 28, 2009, 08:35:08 PM »
Hello, 

Thank you for all this great information!  This is a wonderful resource!

I've got a couple of question...  I'm looking for some advice about the Raleigh, NC show coming up this Saturday.

There are four of us going to the show.  My best friends wife is 6 months pregnant, and we're a bit worried about waiting all day in line with her.  How awful or rude would it be to have them or just her  join the line close to entrance time?  I really want to be considerate of others who have been waiting all day...   

Second question, Raleigh is kind of an after-thought as far as U2 shows are concerned...  What time do you think we need to show up to get the front rail at the front of the stage, right in front of Bono?  And do we want the  "Red Zone" entrance in order to get there?

thank you!

andrew

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
Re: GA Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 08:42:17 PM »
I would have her come and do a couple hours with you earlier in the day when it's cooler and then come back closer to the show.  Make sure you check with security because although the gates should open at 5 for you, they will vary when the cutoff of letting people back into line will be.

Also make sure you talk to and meet the folks behind you and around you and explain the situation.

Don't even think about having her join you there once they start moving the crowd up though - they usually do it around 4pm or so.

Front RAIL at front of the stage... do you mean in the inner circle or outside the ring?

Those are the most coveted spots.  There are travelling fans who will get those spots, it doesn't matter that it's in Raleigh.  To get a good spot ON a rail, inner or outer circle, you'd need to be there before 8am.  The RAIL itself is very coveted and you need to be in the first probably 300 people to get a piece with a good view.

That being said, you don't need to be right in front of Bono for it to be awesome.  Bono comes over more to Edge's side than Adam's side during the shows we were at (Chicago 1/2 and Toronto 1) so if you want Bono, being on Edge's side is a bit better than Adam's side.  Plus you are in front of Edge.  I highly recommend that vantage point :D

Offline chadp123

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 09:54:57 AM »
if your goal is to just get in the inner circle, and if my experience at NY2 is any indicator (it may/may not be), you don't need to show up early at all. 

if your goal is to get on the rail in front of bono, raleigh or not, you will need to be there in the morning for sure.

my goal was to just get in the circle, and i got in line at 3:30pm.  doors opened at 6, and when i got in, the circle had some people in it, but was far from full.  the front rail was already taken, though.  i settled in at the back of the circle on the rail.  later in the evening as the circle filled up, i spoke to some people around me who said they'd just arrived.  many of these people got there only at 5, 6, or 7pm and got in the circle with no problems.

this was just my experience at NY2, and it may be different elsewhere.  there is no hard/fast rule as to if/when they stop letting people in.

Offline luckado

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 10:39:37 AM »
If you don't mind me asking, how far along is she (in her pregnancy)?  I ask because if she is really far along (7+ months), right up front on the rail might not be an ideal place for her.  My wife went to a concert once when she was 8 months in, and she was miserable the whole time (it was general admission standing room only).  When you're that pregnant, standing for any extended length of time is very uncomfortable. 

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 12:02:09 PM »
Good advice from all members here... There were 2 very pregnant women I saw in the GA lineup and it was a very hot day in Chicago, so a bit uncomfortable for sure & I talked to one woman.  I was surprised about that choice given the discomfort of standing & heat on top of that.  Anyway, that said, I'd say the best place may be the inner circle and off to the side & back.  If she needs to use the restrooms she can come and go easily, which is not the case up on the outer circle rail.  Good luck and with your pending baby too! 

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 05:22:04 PM »
Get her induced. Then get a babysitter.

Offline u290sbaby

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 07:24:24 AM »
I got into the inner circle in DC. We got there by 3:45pm but I realized later that people who got there at 5pm were still able to make it in as well. However, I noticed that the center area right in front of Bono and edge were packed when I got in and all the space was on Adam's side.

We decided to watch the show from outside the ring on the front center area and I thought the view was actually much better! Also the sound was louder and crisper outside the ring. The Claw really makes is so that you are close, or feel close no matter what. You also have to sort step back a bit to really get the full "Claw" and screen spectacle once the show starts.

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 07:27:05 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

and name the baby Bad or Mofo. 

Offline Scotty

• Refugee
  • listen for me I'll be shouting
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 07:33:06 AM »
Talk to security about this. At Wembley 1 there was a very pregnant lady who they had allowed to use the disabled access. She was allowed in about 10 minutes before the GA line and was able to walk down the pitch to a spot in the inner circle without worrying about being pushed or falling in the main rush. Her husband had just gone up to security and said he was worried, not about being inside the inner circle as they were aiming to stand on the sides anyway but the actually safety of getting in and they agreed it was risky. Worth a try if it means she will get in safely and without any stress.

Offline chadp123

• Wanderer
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 07:45:24 AM »
I got into the inner circle in DC. We got there by 3:45pm but I realized later that people who got there at 5pm were still able to make it in as well. However, I noticed that the center area right in front of Bono and edge were packed when I got in and all the space was on Adam's side.

We decided to watch the show from outside the ring on the front center area and I thought the view was actually much better! Also the sound was louder and crisper outside the ring. The Claw really makes is so that you are close, or feel close no matter what. You also have to sort step back a bit to really get the full "Claw" and screen spectacle once the show starts.

totally agree with regards to your comments on the sound.  inside the circle the sound was very muddy/muffled.  further out in GA it was much better.  it's definitely a trade-off of being super close vs better sound.

Offline vegaspatrick

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 10:26:29 AM »
Here's what I want to know: How high is the stage? It appears to me that it's high enough that it might not be very comfortable to watch the show from immediately in front of it. For Vertigo, the stage was at a comfortable height. For this show, will I (and others in my vegas and phoenix parties) be craning my neck in order to see them, and will they drop out of view if they move back a few feet? Thanks in advance for whomever can clarify this situation.

VegasPatrick

Offline chadp123

• Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 01:02:14 PM »
Here's what I want to know: How high is the stage? It appears to me that it's high enough that it might not be very comfortable to watch the show from immediately in front of it. For Vertigo, the stage was at a comfortable height. For this show, will I (and others in my vegas and phoenix parties) be craning my neck in order to see them, and will they drop out of view if they move back a few feet? Thanks in advance for whomever can clarify this situation.

VegasPatrick

if i remember correctly, it's probably about 7-8 feet high.  just a guess.  it's a good thing that it's higher though - tall people didn't block my view.

if you are in the circle on the front rail you may get a crink in your neck.  from the back of the circle where i was, i wasn't looking up.  so, it all depends how close you are.

Offline jrnyc

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 01:04:47 PM »
The stage is pretty high. i think if you were at rail in front of stage will be hard to see the whole stage and you will be looking up.

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 03:47:56 PM »
I am currently standing in the inner circle in Cville.  the stage is about 7 feet high.  I am about 4 people back right in front of the edge.  I am 6-1 and will have no problem seeing all 4 band members.  I will not be able to see the back of the stage.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 04:31:18 PM »

and name the baby Bad or Mofo. 

Why 'OR'?

Bad Mofo _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

It writes itself.

Or here's hoping it's a boy. And the surname is Ways.

Call him Ethan Simon Ways.

Or in years to come...

Mr. E. S. Ways

I'll get my coat.