Author Topic: Tonights set list-ok now are we in trouble?  (Read 4105 times)

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
Tonights set list-ok now are we in trouble?
« on: September 30, 2009, 12:00:00 AM »
Only 5 songs from the new album on the 2nd leg of the tour?????? Any thoughts????? And seriously why your blue room? Are they pumping passengers for sales? Does it really fit into the 360 concept? And oh yeah, ONLY 5 SONGS!?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
Re: Tonights set list-ok now are we in trouble?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 12:01:28 AM »
oh yeah, and of all the songs, NOLINE!!! It's one of the top 3 live!!!! okay done whining for the night.

Offline TheHype

• Babyface
  • No spoken words, just a scream
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 02:06:32 AM »
Surprised to see NLOTH and Unknown Caller not on set list. I hope to hear more new songs at Glendale, Las Vegas, and Pasadena.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 04:30:16 AM »
If they are only playing 5 songs from the new album every single night, then sure panic away. It is only a few dates where they played 6 or less songs from the new album.

Again, freakin' ''SPOILER'' -_-

Offline bw

• Refugee
  • Dreamed that I saw Dali with a supermarket trolley
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 05:04:14 AM »
I drove three hours in traffic to see, alas, U2 basically teetering on a hideous "Best of..." tour. Five songs from the new record is appalling. I'm not even sold on the NLOTH album but want to hear the songs live for a fresh perspective. What a joke...

Is this tour suddenly becoming the Cash Cow Tour??

Offline 1985

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 05:52:35 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I drove three hours in traffic to see, alas, U2 basically teetering on a hideous "Best of..." tour. Five songs from the new record is appalling. I'm not even sold on the NLOTH album but want to hear the songs live for a fresh perspective. What a joke...

Ummm, it's a cash cow by design, nothing sudden about it. You sell 80,000 tickets, you have an obligation as an entertainer to send 80,000 people home happy, to the best of your ability. Building a set-list that does that is not a trivial task. I was there last night. I would have rewritten the set-list for my personal enjoyment. The crowd was clearly thrilled with what they heard. As was I. I heard ten songs for the first time. I'm pretty certain that several of those songs I'll never hear again. And there's a reason that their classic songs are classic. Great concert. Hope that they'll be able to take my cash in 2010.

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
Re: (Spoiler) Tonights set list-ok now are we in trouble?
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 06:52:59 AM »

I agree that we should be adding "Spoiler" more often to the thread titles.  However, if someone really wanted to avoid spoilers, would they really open a thread that clearly says "Tonight's set list", (but doesn't spoil it in the title)?  I am more annoyed with the threads that announce in the title what the exact spoiler is (Your Blue Room was amazing last night!!! - oh, yeah - spoiler; spoiler - when did the Tarzan steering wheel mic start lighting up?; etc.), rather than being vague and clearly implying that those looking for set lists can find them here and those avoiding set lists should avoid this thread.

On topic, 5-7 new songs is still a decent number, considering that someone said that Springsteen's latest tour only had 2 new songs.  If I meet up with the band before and if they ask for my opinion on the set list, I will ask for 6 from the new album (drop Unknown Caller).

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 07:53:34 AM »
When I saw them in Dublin, the new songs were some of my highlights.  I love Unknown Caller (my favorite solo by Edge for the show) and NLOTH. Usually they add new album songs during the tour, but this time they are deleting them faster-hmmm.  I love the new album.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 08:34:05 AM »
To me the issue is not with the fact that only 5 new songs were played.  That's still a decent number.  It's the fact that they played one less song.  And in some cases two less songs than previous shows.  For a band that plays almost the exact same set every night they should at least be consistent with the song count.  If you're gonna pay 750,000 a day to move this show around the least you could do is break curfew and shell out a few bucks for the 23rd song.  i'm not counting amazing grace as a song as its been in the set every night lately with a 23 song set.  I'd like to know the backstage discussion why DC got 22 instead of 23.  It seems as if U2 and the crew are off even by 5 minutes the fans get cheated on a song.  I know they have screen issues but could that really be it.  When I saw them in Charlotte on the 3rd night of the elevation tour there was horrible rain and storms.  I drove 4 hours from Richmond in what seemed like a monsoon.  U2's plane was delayed and they played 2 less songs that night.  They couldn't have played 10 minutes later?

All I'm saying is if you're gonna parade around with the same show every night and in every town just be consistent with the song count.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 09:37:11 AM »
I prefer an unpredictable approach. Though I think the more new songs you play the less of a nostalgia act you are, and um, the less likely you are to please the 'casual' punter who may not have some or all of the records. Though if you must dump a song from the set, why not something that has been played to death for the past 30 years? The live version of NLOTH is better than the record by far.

Offline 1985

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 09:41:45 AM »
To me the issue is not with the fact that only 5 new songs were played.  That's still a decent number.  It's the fact that they played one less song.  And in some cases two less songs than previous shows.  For a band that plays almost the exact same set every night they should at least be consistent with the song count.  If you're gonna pay 750,000 a day to move this show around the least you could do is break curfew and shell out a few bucks for the 23rd song.  i'm not counting amazing grace as a song as its been in the set every night lately with a 23 song set.  I'd like to know the backstage discussion why DC got 22 instead of 23.  It seems as if U2 and the crew are off even by 5 minutes the fans get cheated on a song.  I know they have screen issues but could that really be it.  When I saw them in Charlotte on the 3rd night of the elevation tour there was horrible rain and storms.  I drove 4 hours from Richmond in what seemed like a monsoon.  U2's plane was delayed and they played 2 less songs that night.  They couldn't have played 10 minutes later?

All I'm saying is if you're gonna parade around with the same show every night and in every town just be consistent with the song count.

I agree with you here -- I'd prefer a full 23, not counting Amazing Grace (although I'm not sure that Amazing Grace counts for much less concert time than MLK). They were a bit late coming on. Don't know about screen issues. I haven't heard the audio from the other shows, but last night there were lots of shout outs to political and policy figures, the efforts and successes of One and DATA, and a song dedicated to the previous US president for his commitment to Africa. I wonder (total speculation) if playing in DC has become a bit zoo-ey for them, given Bono's influence in the city and his deep desire to influence processes in the US government. I wonder if one can get a totally "normal" show there anymore. It's certainly an interesting dynamic, though...

Offline OhioanforU2

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 09:43:45 AM »

I drove 5-6 hours and was very happy with that show last night(except for being very tired).

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 10:04:35 AM »
If they are only playing 5 songs from the new album every single night, then sure panic away. It is only a few dates where they played 6 or less songs from the new album.

sorry i thought tonight's set list was pretty obvious.

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 10:13:16 AM »
Considering the circumstances, I think this is a very balanced setlist.  Can we now officially place U2 in the "can't please everybody all of the time" category? 

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 10:15:26 AM »
U2 are becoming the new 'modern' Rolling Stones and it's not such a bad thing.  They're still playing 5 songs + from their new album and these are being rotated and the set list mixed up.  This also means more songs being played from their glorious back catalogue and this is a stadium tour and so their giving the majority of fans more of what they want to hear.  360 is still not just a greatest hits tour.