Author Topic: Tonights set list-ok now are we in trouble?  (Read 4109 times)

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
Re: Tonights set list-ok now are we in trouble?
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2009, 01:13:11 PM »
5 songs from a new album, even a great new album, is plenty. I would much rather have 4-5 new songs  and at least 1 song from POP, than the 6 or more from NLOTH

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2009, 02:43:46 PM »
I'd rather see the band do a song once... than an old song for the twenty fourth time. They should play more from NLOTH, not less.

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2009, 05:18:14 PM »
Totally agree with the above ^, right now this album has gotten the least amount of songs played since the Unforgettable Fire, and the songs they are not playing, Stand Up, Cedars, Fez Being Born, and White as Snow, these are great songs! White As Snow and Cedars could have easily fit into the acoustic set, Stand Up goes with Sunday Bloody Sunday, and I think everyone on the board agrees fez/being born would open or be the encore opener.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2009, 05:31:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Totally agree with the above ^, right now this album has gotten the least amount of songs played since the Unforgettable Fire, and the songs they are not playing, Stand Up, Cedars, Fez Being Born, and White as Snow, these are great songs! White As Snow and Cedars could have easily fit into the acoustic set, Stand Up goes with Sunday Bloody Sunday, and I think everyone on the board agrees fez/being born would open or be the encore opener.

If Being Born wasn't precursed with Fez would you still think it a great concert opener?  Maybe the right album opener.  While SUC, COB, and WAS might be good album tracks I really don't feel they would translate at all well on stage and would sound rather stodgy.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2009, 06:34:27 PM »
are any of you musicians? do you let other people write your setlists?

yeah, that's what I thought. thread fail.

#@!

Offline luckado

• Wanderer
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2009, 10:41:11 PM »
I'd rather see the band do a song once... than an old song for the twenty fourth time. They should play more from NLOTH, not less.

So if I'm reading your comments correctly here, you would like to not only hear the SIX songs from NLOTH being played now, but also want to hear four more songs (A grand total of ten out of the eleven songs on the album)?
Have you ever been to a concert from a band other than U2 before?  No, I'm not being sarcastic at all, completely serious question here.  Since when has any band ever played every single song from a new album on a tour? (the exception being a band that only has one album out on their first tour.)  Bands NEVER do that.  They ALWAYS play some songs from their new album, and then favorites from previous albums.  U2 are no exception to this rule.  In fact, with the amazing history of albums that they have, why would they ever quit playing those great songs, just because some of you have been to 24+ shows?  Personally, Charlottesville being my first U2 concert ever, I would have been quite upset had some of my favorite songs from previous albums not been played.  Why would they play "White As Snow" or "Cedars" over NYD, Streets, etc.?  That just doesn't make any sense to me. 

I will give you "Stand Up Comedy"  I think that would be a great addition to the setlist... but not at the expense of another great song from a previous album.

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2009, 11:09:06 PM »
well its a great setlist, and realistically i dont expect them to play 10 songs or 11, but to never play the 4 missing would be a shame, why spend 4 years recording something you'll never play? I understand most fans are not fanatics like us and will only go to one show and not look  to get every show on audio as we will, but on the other hand, those songs are great pieces that the band obviously put effort into them, for the fans of those songs and for the band themselves, they should give em a shot.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2009, 03:00:15 AM »
"No, I'm not being sarcastic at all, completely serious question here.  Since when has any band ever played every single song from a new album on a tour? (the exception being a band that only has one album out on their first tour.)  Bands NEVER do that.  "

factually incorrect. Many bands play the whole of the new album - I can recently think of The Cure, Manic Street Preachers, David Gilmour, Therapy, Suede, Pink Floyd (on most tours up to the 1994 one), etc who played the whole of the recent album, even when they were 30+ years into their career.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2009, 08:12:04 AM »

#@!

i would say U2 writes a script more than a set list.  Or they just don't like playing much of their back catalog which is a shame, but it appears to be the case since they have hardly brought any songs on the road this tour.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2009, 08:41:54 AM »

#@!

i would say U2 writes a script more than a set list.  Or they just don't like playing much of their back catalog which is a shame, but it appears to be the case since they have hardly brought any songs on the road this tour.

The mind boggles, considering that the vast majority of their setlist is back catalogue. If they didn't like playing much of it, why are we seeing the lead three from Joshua Tree almost every night, why are we seeing SBS every night, NYD, Mysterious Ways, Desire, Stay, Angel of Harlem a lot of nights, Pride every night of the European tour, Unforgettable Fire, One, MLK and Ultraviolet every night... and that's even BEFORE we go into their 2000s albums, which they're playing an awful lot of as well! (FIVE ATYCLB songs last night!) How in the world is this "hardly any songs" when it's the majority of the setlist?

Offline luckado

• Wanderer
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2009, 12:42:16 PM »
"No, I'm not being sarcastic at all, completely serious question here.  Since when has any band ever played every single song from a new album on a tour? (the exception being a band that only has one album out on their first tour.)  Bands NEVER do that.  "

factually incorrect. Many bands play the whole of the new album - I can recently think of The Cure, Manic Street Preachers, David Gilmour, Therapy, Suede, Pink Floyd (on most tours up to the 1994 one), etc who played the whole of the recent album, even when they were 30+ years into their career.

Those bands (especially Pink Floyd) are exceptions to that rule.  Again, I can name a hundred bands for every one you've listed that never play through a whole album live, sacrificing past favorites from previous albums.  You still have not disproven my point.

I understand that you think every song on the new album deserves to be played live.  I'm not saying you all are wrong in that sentiment.  Trust me, I think Stand Up, Fez, and Cedars are beautiful songs.  However, not every song written by a band is written with the intentions of playing them live.  U2 already play a 2 hour + concert, you can't logically expect them to play the entire NLOTH album AND past favorites.  There just isn't enough time.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2009, 05:55:58 PM »

#@!

The mind boggles, considering that the vast majority of their setlist is back catalogue. If they didn't like playing much of it, why are we seeing the lead three from Joshua Tree almost every night, why are we seeing SBS every night, NYD, Mysterious Ways, Desire, Stay, Angel of Harlem a lot of nights, Pride every night of the European tour, Unforgettable Fire, One, MLK and Ultraviolet every night... and that's even BEFORE we go into their 2000s albums, which they're playing an awful lot of as well! (FIVE ATYCLB songs last night!) How in the world is this "hardly any songs" when it's the majority of the setlist?

I wasn't referring to a single concert.  I was referring to the tour on a whole where very little of their catalog is being played.  it's hardly any songs, when boy, october and pop are completely ignored.  nothing off zooropa can be played outside of acoustic since 1993.  most every non new song was released as a single except TUF, UF, MLK, UTEOTW, Your Blue Room.  when the tour gets kicking they always return to what they trust.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2009, 01:46:42 AM »
I agree, we need U2 to play more songs from their back catalogue other than the usual suspects and hit singles.  What are they afraid of?

Offline Whoah10115

• Babyface
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2009, 12:49:13 PM »
The only real complaint is that they should play more of the album. 7 is a better number than 6 and it's a shame to never hear some of the songs. They would all work live because they're great songs and U2 is a live band. The reason a U2 show will never be a greatest hits show is because they don't just play the studio versions of their songs. The only two U2 songs that really always sound the same are Pride and New Years Day (especially the latter). They could do with dropping that more often. Though it did get my friend to climb the bridge. I think they only keep it around it as much because it's clearly an opportunity for Adam to to get some face time. They should try Two Hearts Beat As One. That I'd love.

And complains about Your Blue Room are ridiculous. About time we hear some of these songs.

P.S. The band was on fire in Charlotesville, but that crowd sucked. Wow.