Author Topic: Time to spout...  (Read 5644 times)

Offline muthangya

• Wanderer
Time to spout...
« on: September 30, 2009, 04:55:31 PM »
And it's all directed at some dictators in the GA line & very territorial inner-circle morons.  Don't know if y'all have experienced this or not, but at the Giants Stadium show last week, my experience left me very soured.

I and my friends headed over to the Meadowlands at 7am.  We waited in line all day, put up with fan-mandated numbering, complied with utterly useless male/female separation btwn 3p & 4p, saw that neither had any usefulness after crossing the barrier & being corralled in front of the security gate/entrance to the stadium.

Giants Stadium, much like the folks at Soldier Field, did stuff that made no sense.  Why funnel the comfortably spaced line into a tiny quadrant a full two hours before you're going to open the doors?  Why were fans numbering when once into the tiny quadrant, numbering made no difference & had no meaning?  Why sort us into male & female lines  when we were just shuffled into a quagmire for two hours prior to being patted down?

Fine. I put up with it.  Who cares when we got the spot we wanted on the outer rail of the inner circle, we were exactly where we wanted to be--even though we had space and time to crowd closer to the inner rail of the inner circle if we wanted to, but this is the spot we wanted.

So now that we had our spot, exhausted, we sent out a couple delegates to get some drinks and whatnot.  Exiting the inner circle was no issue at all, coming back in was also not an issue, but crossing the inner circle floor to get back to our spot was the most horrendous experience.

People sat on the floor, which is really not an issue, but people wouldn't scoot or lean or even try to help with people that are not trying to steal their spaces, they're just trying to walk through the area.  I mean, it's one thing to be crowded & jam packed in there that it's difficult to move through the crowd, but is it really necessary to make things more difficult for people just passing by?

One particular person, who I actually stepped nowhere near, had his space claimed by way of spreading a black trash bag across the floor.  He started mouthing off at me for me to turn around and go back, to exit the area because I was in his space.  Excuse me Mr. territorial , I didn't touch your trash bag or the area it protected, I didn't ask you to move, I didn't ask to step by you, nothing!  Why on earth do you see the need to be so hateful and so obnoxious to people simply passing by?

People walked by me, stood closer than I preferred, pushed me, and leaned into me throughout the concert, but seriously, it's a  general admission section; there are other people around you & there are other people that are going to need to get by.  Why the hell are you people being so  obnoxious to other fans that repeatedly say, "I don't want your space, I just want to get by"?  And that's not even during the concert; it's during the downtime before even Muse took the stage!

Maybe it's a different era, maybe it's a different crowd, maybe it's the American attitude that doesn't know how to share things; I don't know what it is, but things are definitely different.  European/UK shows I attended last tour, in stadiums that are the same size or larger than Giants & Solider Field, were filled with friendly people from all over the globe.  People that, despite not speaking the same language, had the ability to be cordial--even with just made-up sign language & gestures--and were able to enjoy even the time waiting for a concert in harmony with the strangers that surrounded them.

Hope things are better on the rest of my tour.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 06:45:17 AM by Hawkmoon2e »

Offline u2bono269

• Babyface
  • @atU2 Tours Staffer
Re: Time to spout some hate...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 05:10:56 PM »
oh I am so with you on that.  I was numbered 219 and there was no way I was the 219th person to get into the stadium.  The way they handled the GA line was horrendous and useless.  they sent us into about 8 different lines to get in, and people were jumping from line to line to get into the "faster" frisk lines.  and you're right the people sitting around were obnoxious...

I'll never do a GA at that complex again.  I remember lining up in Philly on Vertigo and it was a pleasure. 

just out of curiousity, were you the guy who came back in and tried to wade through the sitters and had to turn around and go back?  I felt really bad for you. 

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 05:11:30 PM »
US crowds are VERY VERY different to, er, 'non-US' crowds.

As you've noticed.

Offline Bullet

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 05:12:32 PM »
Maybe it was just the region (ie:  New York/New Jersey)?

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 05:15:22 PM »
I'm all for a good generalisation, so as someone from outside the US, I have found people in NY more polite than people in the rest of the country in my travels.

Yeah I know. Weird eh? But that's been my experience.

But then I think NY is pretty used to tourists compared to other parts.

Offline muthangya

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 05:56:24 PM »
I agree briscoteque, I don't think you can say it's the region.  A lot of my closest friends are people that are born and bred New Yorkers and they're great.  Strangers that I met in Manhattan were friendlier than the tools at Giants Stadium.  People are changing or the U2-fan demographic is changing or maybe some total d*****bag ran through the GA section and pi**ed on everyone right before my friend & I strolled through.

Incidentally u2bono269, I was not the person that turned around and went back; we pressed on and made our way through.  That sucks that the crowd forced someone to go back.  Did they really accomplish anything?  What ever happened to making this an experience that is enjoyable for everyone.  I mean, it's one thing to strong-arm the jerks that try to sneak in and steal floor space after arriving at the stadium ten minutes ago, but it's not necessary to default to bulldog attitude with everyone that you encounter.

And for the record, I am from the US, been here all my life, but like briscoteque said, US crowds are VERY different from European/UK crowds.  The show at Croke Park last tour was amazing, not just for the concert, but for the sense of family that came from being at that event with tens of thousands of people who for the most part did not know each other, but still welcomed everyone in.

Looking forward to seeing more of you like-minded individuals in the next few weeks :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 06:27:06 PM by muthangya »

Offline u2bono269

• Babyface
  • @atU2 Tours Staffer
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 06:23:25 PM »
muthangya, I'm glad that wasn't you, because it really sucked for that guy.  they wouldn't move to let him back to that spot!  I have to say that everyone I met in the line were pleasant and wonderful people, but once they started letting us into the stadium, suddenly the morons came out (although none of them were the people I had met, thank god).  One of the people I met had a terrible time...someone tried to start a fight with him in the middle of the show and he was jostled and banged around all night by people taking photos and trying to rush the front. 

Another guy sat on the floor and put his jacket and electronics in a pile next to him and got annoyed when people kept stepping on his jacket during the Muse set.  He didnt stand up until Space Oddity.

But still, those crazy people in the crowd were nothing compared to the incompetence of the staff outside running the GA line. 

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 06:31:08 PM »
That is ridiculous!  I feel bad for you.  At most concerts that I have been to, crowds let the people pass coming back in.
Well- just another reason for me not to go in GA I guess.. 

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 07:05:03 PM »
I definitely find, myself, that people travelling for concerts makes for a more fun experience than locals. Seems for your comments about Dublin that is definitely true.

Although I did enjoy Vertigo in Melbourne (my home town) more than any of the other vertigo shows, travelling does tend to breed this camaraderie amongst people who are doing the same. The same faces in lines etc. Solidarity brothers and sisters.

I'm going to LA and Vegas. I would imagine at least that Vegas will have a LOT of people from out of town... it's a holiday destination and I think the vibe will be huge.

LA... not so sure.

But hey... will enjoy it I'm certain.

Achtung40Life

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 07:16:31 PM »
I was 2nd row behind the B-stage at Chicago 1, and after Snow Patrol finished their set, I went to the bathroom. On the way back people were blatantly rude and wouldn't let me back to my spot. They either would ignore me, or tell me 'I've been waiting here all day' or "I spent a lot of money on these tickets.' I'm only a sixteen year old kid but apparently everyone though I just arrive and was skipping them to get up front, although I had infact been waiting longer in the GA line than them. I was wearing a Joshua Tree T-shirt and my favorite insult among many others was "how old are you kid, you weren't even alive when that album came out' I replied back 'you're right, I guess that makes you a better U2 fan than me.' What jerks, especially because it was my first U2 show. It put me in a bad mood right out of the gates. And the whole time before the show I thought U2 fans were the most intelligent and compassionate among all music fans. Everyone on this forum seem to be great people, but I guess U2 concerts bring out the best and worst in us all. To end the story, security guards attempted (and did a horrible job) to make people move and I made it back to my spot. I will never view U2 fans the same way, because of course a 16 year old kid can't possibly like the band as much as those who were alive when Achtung Baby, Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire was released. 

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 08:09:54 PM »
Sorry to hear of your bad experience muthanga with both the lineup and moving through the inner circle.  Some of that is to be expected but making someone go all the way back out is a bit much, unless the guy was being super obnoxious.  

Getting in & the cue was less of a problem in Chicago than leaving the stadium area, which was a nightmare the first night.  That was very badly planned on the promoters/ stadium planners part.  It was lucky nobody got hurt!  

The numbering system isn't "official" by any means and is mainly for the first few hundred early birds who arrive super early in the morning.  I thought the GA in Chicago was quite well organized.  While we had the line compress at about 2:30pm under the direction of the Stadium personnel and there seemed to be no reason for this ( read: annoying), I'd wager that they do this to get people to get rid of their chairs, coolers, garbage etc, so that they do not present any hazard for people.   The only complaint about the Chicago 1 lineup that I have is less about that than the enormous amount of garbage that many U2 fans just left all over the place.  I was pretty surprised.  Everything from chairs, hard coolers, beer, food, blankets, you name it.   They had stadium staff working the lines taking garbage away and receptacles too, so there's no excuse for that and it was pretty bad.  

On fans/ crowd - I don't think its a N.American vs. Europe thing but I haven't been to a Europe U2 concert so I can't compare.  

I've found there will always be friendly fans and obnoxious ones, even at a U2 concert, and met both types at my concert.  I'd go as far to say that my own experience is that U2 fans as a group are generally more friendly, fun, and mostly considerate people but there's always bad apples in any bunch.   The fun, friendly and considerate fans I met both in the lineup and in the inner circle were great and really enhanced the concert experience.   One fan watched our place in the GA, took our pictures, others gave hugs & shared stories, and two kindly let three of us stand in front of them for the concert in the inner circle.  ( Thanks Steve! )  

On the opposite side of that and to your experience, this was the negative side:    For two + hours before the concert started ( both bands) we were standing in the inner circle on Edge's side, off to the side & about 2/3 back or 10-11 people deep from the stage.  We literally had every beer, water & food vendor pushing and crossing either directly in front or behind us  for those 2+ hours and fans doing this too.  That was pretty annoying but its to be somewhat expected in a crowd and ok/ tolerable when people are friendly and polite.  The vendors were all very polite and apologetic, as were most of the fans but there were also fans who were very pushy and without saying 'excuse me' or 'sorry' when they passed or pushed their way through.  My friend got an elbow to head with no apology, which I don't think was intended but was pretty bad and rude.   How can you not know you've hit someone?  Anyway that's not what totally annoyed us but a backgrounder...  ;)  

What was most annoying to me was rude people who push their way through, without manners, apology or any consideration; and more specifically:

1) People who need to keep getting beers repeatedly , DURING the main concert,  who are pushing by or in front of you to do that and spilling while they do that.  There was one guy who did this 2-3 times ( with 4-5 beers in hand) and there were a few others who did this too.  

Now people are free to drink at concerts and have fun and I've no problem with that.  I had one before the backup band and another would have been nice but its too much hassle and I didn't need it.  That said, if you're more interested in drinking & partying during the concert than actually listening/watching it or you feel you need to get drunk to enjoy the band,  maybe you should NOT be in the inner circle and pit areas.  Go sit in a seat or go to a bar.  More beers during the concert obviously also necessitates more bathroom breaks for those people and more crowd pushing/spilling.  

2)Groups of people ( eg. more than 2) pushing through during the main concert NOT to go to the bathroom or leave but to try to get closer and in front of you.

Mid concert, a group of 5  were trying to do this in the middle of the concert, and I firmly told them,  "Um, NO.  You're not going in front of us, go behind us!", and then went back to enjoying the concert.   >:(  I'm sorry ( not really LOL)  but I've waited the whole day ( and then some) to see & watch this concert, and if you don't like your view, its a little late for FIVE of you to decide you want to get closer.    

That's all!  I otherwise had a fabulous time and concert!   8)

@achtung40life - Sorry you had such a bad experience too!   :(  There's no reason for fans old or new to be like that and be so condescending.  BOO!  >:(  Shame on them!   The only thing I can say is don't paint all fans like that b/c you met some bad apples.   I left before Snow Patrol finished their set and came back without problem.  If I can suggest anything for future GA, I would say that smiles and a polite "excuse me" goes a long way.  I also acknowledge and get to know some of the people around me while waiting for the concert to start, and that helps too.     

Offline u290sbaby

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 08:53:20 PM »
I experienced similar issues with rude people in GA last night in DC. I left to go use the bathroom right after Muse finished their set and by the time I returned everyone gave me dirty looks for trying to get back to the area I was at. My friends were still in that area and I even pointed them out to these people but it didn't matter.

Some people are just rude period.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 07:15:24 AM by StrongGirl »

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 10:16:17 PM »
In my experience, U2 fans are more territorial than a crossbreed of hornets and magpies

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 11:45:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I definitely find, myself, that people travelling for concerts makes for a more fun experience than locals. Seems for your comments about Dublin that is definitely true.

Although I did enjoy Vertigo in Melbourne (my home town) more than any of the other vertigo shows, travelling does tend to breed this camaraderie amongst people who are doing the same. The same faces in lines etc. Solidarity brothers and sisters.

I'm going to LA and Vegas. I would imagine at least that Vegas will have a LOT of people from out of town... it's a holiday destination and I think the vibe will be huge.

LA... not so sure.

But hey... will enjoy it I'm certain.

These are the 2 I am going to ... so far? I hope more?  Do You have GA for these? 

Look for me in GA.  I will be the obnoxious dude with a trashbag yelling at people to stay outside the borders of my tarp!   ;)

I am having the same  feeling about Vegas.  I think there will be ALOT of travelers and I really hope this brings up the atmosphere.  Vegas nite 2 during Vertigo tour had an amazing atmosphere.  Bono's voice was gone for the most part, but the crowd was intense, and the band really brought it and also changed up the setlist quite a bit.  I m thinking the band knows this could be a special nite based on the past, and the traveler thing.

However, usually I hate LA crowds (And I am from there) because everyone is more concerned with looking cool and posing than moving and having fun.  BUT I have a feeling this could also be a travel destination on this particular tour.
1.  There are NO other dates in California for this date.
2.  The Rose Bowl is HUGE - 90,000+ for normal events, MORE most likely for 360
3.  This is only 2 days after Vegas.  So like yourself, I believe and know that many travelers (esp out of country or travelling really far in the US) who are going to the Vegas show, will also go to the LA show
4.  This could potentially end up being like a nite2 scenario.  As we know nite2 in the same city tends to pull out more surprises and also generally seems to have better atmosphere.
5.  I dont think there are any overhangs at this stadium.
6.  This is more of a stretch of a theory, but ... Its the 2nd to the last date of this leg.  The last date on on tour leg tends to be a little more safe.  PLUS the last date is in Vancouver, and the band have recently been quoted to say something of the effect that Canadians audiences are not as energetic (at least in Toronto).  SO this bodes well for the band to be really amped up to make LA really rock.
7.  Its a historic stadium.  Usually U2 and especially Bono get a certain amount of excitement from playing places with alot of history.

I REALLY hope the atmosphere is amazing for both!  Lets make it so!  Im sorry the atmosphere was not very good at your show muthangya. 

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 12:24:46 AM »
Great stuff mbeano...

I'll be the red headed aussie bloke wearing a 6' x 6' EXCLUSION ZONE suit that emits a mild electric shock if personal space is invaded.

Hope you're right about LA... I've got a mate from Aus living in LA so should be a blast.