Author Topic: Time to spout...  (Read 5652 times)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Re: Time to spout some hate...
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 02:12:20 AM »
Hey thanks for saying that some of us NYers are actually nice and for recognizing that there will be both nice and not so nice people wherever you go. I was just telling a friend that this evening!

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 05:43:05 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hey thanks for saying that some of us NYers are actually nice and for recognizing that there will be both nice and not so nice people wherever you go. I was just telling a friend that this evening!

Well, most New Yorkers move at a faster pace no matter what they're doing and it comes off as being rude to a lot of people (pretty much the entire midwest)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 07:09:18 AM »

Well, most New Yorkers move at a faster pace no matter what they're doing and it comes off as being rude to a lot of people (pretty much the entire midwest)

Well , I hope people realize that a faster pace does not always mean rude. Again, this goes for any city, any place.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 07:12:18 AM »
US crowds are VERY VERY different to, er, 'non-US' crowds.

As you've noticed.

So does this mean non US crowds are better that way?  Just curious.

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 07:16:31 AM »
US crowds are VERY VERY different to, er, 'non-US' crowds.

As you've noticed.

So does this mean non US crowds are better that way?  Just curious.

US-U2 crowds are certainly less enthusiastic compared to European (and South American) crowds.  there's no doubt about that.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 07:18:35 AM »
I am sorry to hear that some of you experienced rudeness during your GA experience at the concerts. While you have every right to vent your frustrations here, I just had to edit a few words for languauge.  I know it is hard when you are angry but please try to watch that. Thanks-I appreciate it. SG

Offline chadp123

• Wanderer
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 07:42:57 AM »
I was at the NY2 show on Thursday, got on queue around 3:30, and agree with the pre-show line-up mess. 

the original line-up they had was fine.  it was maybe 3-4 people wide and there were barricades to keep things orderly.  however, when the whole GA line was crammed into the little area outside the main gate, countless people were jumping into that area from the back of the line.  There was no control to prevent people from doing this.  I asked a security guard about it and he said he was “monitoring the situation”.  There was no reason to horde all of the line into one big mess of an area.  They should have just keep the line as it was.  Hording everyone into a big glob of people opened the door for line jumpers.

once i made it past the outdoorlineup mess and got inside, i had no problem getting a space right in front of the back rail in the circle, edge’s side.  In fact, before u2 came on, many I talked to around me arrived at 6pm or later and got in the same area I was in - guess there was no need for me to queue up, but you never know when they'll stop letting people in the circle.

i had a different experience than the original poster in that I had a fantastic experience with the GA fans around me.  i met and talked to quite a few awesome people.  I’m always amazed how polite and approachable u2 fans are at their shows.  Also, people were always polite as they walked by and said “pardon me, excuse me”.  However, it was a little annoying when people were still trying to cram past me while u2 was on.  By that time I think you should already have a spot and stay put - just my opinion though.  even still, people who were walking by during u2 were still super polite.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 08:00:54 AM by chadp123 »

Offline kev346

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I'm ready I'm ready for the laughing gas
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2009, 07:49:43 AM »
I've just got back to the UK from the show at Giants Stadium and was surprised by this post . I had a great time in the GA section OK people push past you, go out for beers,want to get to the front. but hey that's the way its always been in GA period !
we had a great time with everyone around us, even the two girls who screamed at a extreme volume through the whole show .
Ive been in GA for every tour since the Joshua Tree Tour,this was my first time in the GA section in the USA and i can tell you it was far more civilized than any of the European shows Ive been to over the years.
We didn't have any problems with the New Yorkers at the show or in the queue for the train after . Everyone was in good spirits despite the wait .

Maybe us Europeans are a little more used to been stood up in crowds as we still had the old standing terraces in football stadiums when most US stadiums were all seated, i don't know just a thought.

it does annoy me a little when people moan about GA crowds . You know the solution ?! Go in the SEATS .

Offline Scotty

• Refugee
  • listen for me I'll be shouting
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2009, 09:14:09 AM »
Does anyone remember the idiot line Nazi at wembley who took it upon himself to condense the ga queue at 11 am!! This guy caused so much hoo har, he was arguing with security and arguing with people in the queue who were telling him to chill out it was too early. Luckily we didnt see him again when we got inside but on the way out security had him pinned to the wall by his neck because he was trying to fight somebody! Never seen anything like it! He had wild eyes and scared me! Then when I woke up in the daylight at Sheffield after a night camping I saw those wild eyes again, my worst nightmare, I became obsessed with hating this guy!! We poinited him out to the  lovely security staff and warned them about what he had done at wembley and luckily when he started being an a hole again they told him to shut up and sit down!

Offline muthangya

• Wanderer
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2009, 11:01:50 AM »
Hey StrongGirl,

My apologies for any implication that it was a New York state of mind or New Yorkers in general that caused the problem; that was not the case at all.

And yeah, non-US crowds seem to be better suited for GA.  I think that was a major deciding factor in bring GA to the US.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but Euro & South American stops on tours have had GA for years.  We in the US only started getting it with the Elevation tour.

And for the record, I don't have a complaint about GA and I don't think the solution is to just abandon the experience and switch to reserved seats.  My complaint is directed toward the people who are looking to limit or prohibit the GA experience of others by having the attitude that they have more GA rights than others.

I mean the name itself is General Admission, but some individuals try and create classes, entitlements, and degrees of fandom to something that by definition is supposed to be general, undivided, and open to everyone.

~jc

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2009, 11:04:53 AM »
Oh no apologies necessary muthangya! 

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2009, 11:24:13 AM »
Remember that Giants Stadium is in Jersey...which should explain any questions about rude behavior, smells, lack of sunlight, etc.

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2009, 02:30:21 PM »
Great thread! Is this primarily an outside-the-circle phenomenon? Is it easier to get in and out of the circle and to restrooms than it is if you're on the field OUTSIDE the circle?

Just wondering. I'm not gonna be bothered by crowds but I'm sure that my girlfriend will want to make a bathroom break sometime before U2 comes on; since I'll be holding her place she'll be going it alone. I may not want to put her through that trauma at her first U2 show!

Offline muthangya

• Wanderer
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2009, 03:00:18 PM »
Based on two experiences this tour, I would say that outside the circle is super easy to navigate and to go to & from your spot.  Inside the circle is where I had problems.

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2009, 03:24:12 PM »
Great thread! Is this primarily an outside-the-circle phenomenon? Is it easier to get in and out of the circle and to restrooms than it is if you're on the field OUTSIDE the circle?

Just wondering. I'm not gonna be bothered by crowds but I'm sure that my girlfriend will want to make a bathroom break sometime before U2 comes on; since I'll be holding her place she'll be going it alone. I may not want to put her through that trauma at her first U2 show!

Hear that, Principle Management? Official U2360 Inner Circle Colostomy Bags.  :D