Author Topic: Time to spout...  (Read 5645 times)

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
Re: Time to spout some hate...
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2009, 04:12:07 PM »
I am in the inner circle waiting for Cville to start and I just realized something.  this is a college campus.  translation:  no alcohol served (except for suites).   I expect friendlier people with fewer bathroom breaks.  woo-hoo!

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2009, 04:26:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
US crowds are VERY VERY different to, er, 'non-US' crowds.

As you've noticed.

So does this mean non US crowds are better that way?  Just curious.

I said different...

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2009, 07:22:54 PM »
Remember that Giants Stadium is in Jersey...which should explain any questions about rude behavior, smells, lack of sunlight, etc.
\

Umm.. I experienced this same behavior in Portland on the Vertigo tour, and Oregonians tend to be quite laid back, so it was quite surprising.  No it is not a phenomenon of any one state-- just some bad apples get in the way of having a good time.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 08:43:20 PM by whitewave »

Offline virginiagp

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2009, 09:13:59 PM »
I actually found the GA LINE experience in DC to be the best I have experienced in my 8 years of doing GA lines.  The poor police had no idea what was going on, but the event staff at Fed Ex Field handled things very well and helped the fan "GA organizer" keep things orderly and fair.  The folks around us were polite and friendly.

Once inside, we chose to stand on the rail of the outer ring.  When people needed to sit, move around, etc., everyone was very accomodating and helpful.  A great experience all in all. :)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2009, 01:09:12 AM »
Remember that Giants Stadium is in Jersey...which should explain any questions about rude behavior, smells, lack of sunlight, etc.
\

Umm.. I experienced this same behavior in Portland on the Vertigo tour, and Oregonians tend to be quite laid back, so it was quite surprising.  No it is not a phenomenon of any one state-- just some bad apples get in the way of having a good time.

Thank you whitewave!  I happen to have been born in New Jersey and lived there and I don't think I am rude nor do I smell  :P ;D   ;)

Offline K2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • light my way
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2009, 08:25:38 AM »
Just a note to say I lined up at NJ1 starting at 7:40 am and didn't have the hateful experiences described by some here, luckily. The line organizers were great and worked incredibly hard and effectively all day to keep the first few hundred people in line order.

However, when we moved up to the turnstiles about an hour before the gates opened, the stadium staff got us all in order, looked at us warily, and then decided to add two or three more turnstiles to the right side of the group. That meant that people whose numbers were 300 or 400 were suddenly in the same position as those who were in the first 200. I was #78 in line, #7 in line for my turnstile (they only had 2 for women and they were segregated by gender, how goofy is that) and I still had to run like a maniac to get the spot I was aiming for. Which I got, thankfully, Edge side, inside rail.

Getting in and out of my spot on the inside rail wasn't a problem as I befriended the people around me and when I was challenged upon returning, these people (including a tall bald guy who was easy to spot ;-) waved me back in. My wrist was stamped upon exit so they would let me back in to the inside circle.

Over all I had a great experience at both NJ concerts (had seats for NJ2) and hello to all of you who were in line with me! - Kat

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2009, 09:53:41 PM »
okay, I would love to go on about all the generalizations, mostly unfounded, that have gone on in the post, but there is not enough time and I am in too good a mood- still high from Charlottesville.

The reason I had to post was that no one has explained the bizarre " boys over here and girls over there" ritual that was described in the OP. What could possibly be the purpose?

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2009, 10:29:44 PM »
Could it be due to security?  At football games that happens at the entrance.

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2009, 08:02:55 AM »
Could it be due to security?  At football games that happens at the entrance.

yes, that's it.  they want men searching/frisking men and women doing the same to women.  frankly they don't want men frisking women.   at football games, they don't make you stand in two lines but they do make you go to the appropriate security guard right when you get to the front of security.

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2009, 01:13:43 PM »

And yeah, non-US crowds seem to be better suited for GA.  I think that was a major deciding factor in bring GA to the US.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but Euro & South American stops on tours have had GA for years.  We in the US only started getting it with the Elevation tour.

~jc

Not true. These tours/legs were all GA: The UF Tour, the JT Tour stadium leg, and Zoo TV Outside Broadcast. In the SF Bay Area they were, anyway.

To the original poster: Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. That sucks.
Some of my GA experiences must have been the exceptions then. And the one I always think of is Zoo TV outside. Everyone was cool prior to the gig starting, but as soon as the lights went out, it was pretty crazy. That was mostly the band, partly the crowd, and a bit of the opening band which was Public Enemy. It all just clicked. But again... maybe the exception, but worth sharing.
But now, who knows? It's just a different time, and there's probably more fringe U2 fans in the US. I'll let you know after the Rose Bowl, though...

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2009, 07:12:27 PM »
\

Thank you whitewave!  I happen to have been born in New Jersey and lived there and I don't think I am rude nor do I smell  :P ;D   ;)

I lived in Jersey for quite a while, including high school and like to get my jokes in whenever I can. I had some great friends and met some nice people, but the rudeness does seem to be higher there than other places I have lived. And I was suggesting the smells not because people stink, but because many parts of the state have distinct odors. Just sayin...

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2009, 09:28:35 PM »
\

I lived in Jersey for quite a while, including high school and like to get my jokes in whenever I can. I had some great friends and met some nice people, but the rudeness does seem to be higher there than other places I have lived. And I was suggesting the smells not because people stink, but because many parts of the state have distinct odors. Just sayin...

I still say rudeness is everywhere  ;)  It is a shame that the stinky part of this state where all the chemical factories are happens to be on the NJ Turnpike where travelers from all over drive on their way to other states. NJ has some of the most beautiful farm land around but travelers passing through don't see it. That it where it gets the name the Garden State.  Oh and I knew what you meant aarond  :D ;)

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
Re: Time to spout...
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2009, 01:33:23 AM »
Stinky Elizabeth NJ had my dad regretting they'd named me that! :D The first time we drove through it he said he'd have named me something else if he'd known how it smelled. ::)

The southern part of the state IS gorgeous, that I do agree.

But if you think that's bad, try driving by the feed lots near El Paso Texas. Makes your eyes water-and not just out of sympathy for the cattle.

Birdlover
Smelling like a rose!

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
Re: Time to spout...
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2009, 08:35:23 PM »
Yeah, I lived in western Jersey where the land was very beautiful...some of the Jersey odors are cow farms. But a lot of the state does have smells I don't exactly miss.

Offline vegaspatrick

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2009, 03:11:54 AM »

I'll be the red headed aussie bloke wearing a 6' x 6' EXCLUSION ZONE suit that emits a mild electric shock if personal space is invaded.

Priceless. See you in my homelands, Aussie.

VegasPatrick