Author Topic: Was there a DVD filmed yet?  (Read 6023 times)

Offline steve70

• Wanderer
Was there a DVD filmed yet?
« on: October 02, 2009, 04:00:54 PM »
Was there a DVD filmed yet this tour? I was thinking maybe it was Boston. I'm probably out of the loop. By the way, I love the frequent,  blunt negativity and EXTREME criticism in this form--it's SOOO passionate! hahaha

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
Re: Was there a DVD filmed yet?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 05:05:55 PM »
No, none have been filmed for DVD as of this point.

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 01:28:28 PM »
With the band contiuing to tour through 2010, returning to Europe and the US again, isn't it likely the DVD will be shot much later? There is a chance that, but SUmmer or 2010, we may have new U2 music on the setlist.

Offline macphisto96

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 11:53:21 PM »
More recently the DVDs have been shot earlier in the tours.  Elevation Boston and Vertigo Chicago were both first leg gigs.  Go Home was a bit different, but that was still the second leg.

However the two stadium concerts both were later.  POPMart was filmed at the end of the third leg and Sydney was shot near the end of ZooTV's third stadium leg (technically the fifth overall leg of the ZooTV tour).

Part of me thinks they will shoot one of the shows on the current US leg just so they can get it out in December or thereabouts for Christmas time.  I wouldn't be surprised if they filmed the Vegas show at the end of this leg.  I'd love for it to be the Tampa show because that's the one I'm going to.  Tampa, Dallas, Houston, and Phoenix have the nicest facilities that would be best equipped for a shoot. 

I'm sure we'll find out if a show is shot for DVD (maybe even done in HD this time around and released on Blu-Ray - dare I hope?!?) because Bono usually says something when a show is being recorded for release.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 04:36:11 AM »
They won't be doing a DVD for this leg. They can't finish it on time for a Christmas release. 

They usually do DVD's in places where they have two-night stands, but they have none anymore and U2 can't do a good show on one take.  The first night is usually the test night.

Besides, for Christmas, they have the Unforgettable Fire 25th Anniversary release - which also includes a concert DVD that will be their Christmas sales push.   The 360 Tour DVD will be more for Christmans 2010.

Cheers,

J

Offline u2pinstripes

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 09:31:43 AM »
In my opinion, they won't film the 360 DVD until next summer because of SOA.  Bono said that he wants another hit single this spring and SOA will be released at some point in the spring/summer..so my guess is that they want to wait until the SOA songs are in the setlist.  That way they can have the best of NLOTH and SOA on the U2 360 DVD.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 09:38:48 AM »
The ZooTV DVD was filmed to include both the 'Achtung Baby' portion AND the 'Zooropa' songs, two-in-one. I think they'll do the same here with Songs of Ascent. Although wasn't there word that Willie Williams said they'd be filming the tour soon?

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 03:19:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They won't be doing a DVD for this leg. They can't finish it on time for a Christmas release. 

They usually do DVD's in places where they have two-night stands, but they have none anymore and U2 can't do a good show on one take.  The first night is usually the test night.

Besides, for Christmas, they have the Unforgettable Fire 25th Anniversary release - which also includes a concert DVD that will be their Christmas sales push.   The 360 Tour DVD will be more for Christmans 2010.

Cheers,

J

The usual ridiculous comments, at least you are consistent,  "U2 can't do a good show on one take"  WTF !! Have you ever seen them live?

The Unforgettable Fire reissue does not have a concert DVD.

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 05:13:46 PM »
I'm quite confident they wouldn't release a DVD of the tour WHILE STILL TOURING...........

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 05:25:04 PM »

Cheers,

J

The usual ridiculous comments, at least you are consistent,  "U2 can't do a good show on one take"  WTF !!

2 words. Red rocks.

U2 clearly CAN do it in "one take", they just choose not to.

Offline Yukona [The League of Extraordinary Bonopeople]

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 09:23:49 PM »

Cheers,

J

The usual ridiculous comments, at least you are consistent,  "U2 can't do a good show on one take"  WTF !!

2 words. Red rocks.

U2 clearly CAN do it in "one take", they just choose not to.

Not to mention ZooTV Sydney, and Elevation Slane...

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 07:05:09 AM »
I thought I heard the Unforgettable Fire reissue will have a limited edition version with a DVD, not too sure though.

Red Rocks is a totally different scenario.  Those were the old-tech days with much fewer cameras.  It even took U2 multiple locations just to get U23D right, and they had to mix footage.  Ditto for Elevation Boston.

The Slane DVD was more of an afterthought and not as tightly planned - hence more grainy footage, less camera angles, and no behind-the-scenes elements.

There is much more at stake now than before, as DVD's need a lot of specials, behind-the-scenes-making-of footage, and other bonus material.  It requires careful planning and only a two-night stand can take care of that.  So any plans of seeing a DVD from the this leg is impossible.

Sure many people would want to pin down my predictions and fearless forecasts.  But in the end, is there anyone up for a friendly wager that U2 won't do a DVD for this leg and/or release it before Christmas?  I am pretty certain about that.

As for making a DVD while touring, it certainly has been done during the Vertigo Tour, so they sure have proven capable of releasing a DVD while on tour.

Cheers,

J

Offline bw

• Refugee
  • Dreamed that I saw Dali with a supermarket trolley
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 10:03:38 AM »
It makes good economic sense to create a live DVD. Frankly, it would help offset some of the costs the tour is creating.

With all the cameras being used, there is certainly a ton of great fottage and it shouldn't be too costly to produce.

Offline chadp123

• Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 10:32:16 AM »
willie williams blog will probably be the indicator as to which show(s) will be taped for dvd.

in his blog from sept 22 he says "We're fully into the onslaught of extracurricular activities now - Saturday Night Live at the weekend, plus planning for the inevitable broadcast / DVD shoot which is coming up"

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 08:54:27 PM »
I thought I heard the Unforgettable Fire reissue will have a limited edition version with a DVD, not too sure though.

Red Rocks is a totally different scenario.  Those were the old-tech days with much fewer cameras.  It even took U2 multiple locations just to get U23D right, and they had to mix footage.  Ditto for Elevation Boston.

The Slane DVD was more of an afterthought and not as tightly planned - hence more grainy footage, less camera angles, and no behind-the-scenes elements.

2 of their best releases. My point still stands. They CAN release a great show on a 1-night filming.