Author Topic: Was there a DVD filmed yet?  (Read 5977 times)

Boom Cha!

Re: Was there a DVD filmed yet?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 09:04:56 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Slane DVD was more of an afterthought and not as tightly planned - hence more grainy footage, less camera angles, and no behind-the-scenes elements.

I love the grainy footage and the awkward camera angles. It really adds to it.

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 09:09:20 PM »

There is much more at stake now than before, as DVD's need a lot of specials, behind-the-scenes-making-of footage, and other bonus material.  It requires careful planning and only a two-night stand can take care of that.  So any plans of seeing a DVD from the this leg is impossible.

Vertigo Chicago, at least my copy, has no extras.

Offline toolz2112

• Wanderer
  • they just.. sound different
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 11:54:18 PM »
u2 3D needed so many different locations, because of the amount of cameras used to capture it in 3D. can you imagine a crowd being impressed with so many cameras blocking the show, just for a live concert capture??? makes more sense to spread the load a bit.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 02:35:11 AM »

There is much more at stake now than before, as DVD's need a lot of specials, behind-the-scenes-making-of footage, and other bonus material.  It requires careful planning and only a two-night stand can take care of that.  So any plans of seeing a DVD from the this leg is impossible.

Vertigo Chicago, at least my copy, has no extras.

You bought the budget version.

Cheers,

J

Offline macphisto96

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 07:31:25 AM »
They won't be doing a DVD for this leg. They can't finish it on time for a Christmas release. 

They usually do DVD's in places where they have two-night stands, but they have none anymore and U2 can't do a good show on one take.  The first night is usually the test night.

Besides, for Christmas, they have the Unforgettable Fire 25th Anniversary release - which also includes a concert DVD that will be their Christmas sales push.   The 360 Tour DVD will be more for Christmans 2010.

Cheers,

J

The reason they usually do it with a two night stand isn't because they can't do a good show.  It's because they can use the first show to iron out kinks in filming and figure out how to approach the show.  Where does the band need to be?  Where do the cameras need to aim?  That kind of thing.

If they shot any NA shows it would have either been Boston and New York IMHO.  Since they have yet to release a show from NYC then that would be the one, but they will likely return to NYC as long as the new Meadowlands Stadium is complete on time (it is supposed to be ready in April). 

I agree with those who think they are more likely to do a backend shoot because that is what they've done on stadium tours in the past and they are planning on getting another album out next year.

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 01:27:46 PM »
What if they do a "360" DVD of the 360 tour, and show songs from various shows throughout the tour? They're shooting in HD, with lots of cameras shooting all angles at every show...Who's to say they won't cherry-pick the best cuts from the tour and put them all together?

countrygirl

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 01:32:06 PM »
^And that would be just fine with me!!!!  I want it for Christmas though! ;D

Offline silvrlvr

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Three things I need you to know -- three!
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 01:51:20 PM »
What if they do a "360" DVD of the 360 tour, and show songs from various shows throughout the tour? They're shooting in HD, with lots of cameras shooting all angles at every show...Who's to say they won't cherry-pick the best cuts from the tour and put them all together?

Absolutely right. Each leg of the claw has three HD camera operators, plus several more on stage and in the audience. That means there are probably 20 camera operators recording every show. It would be fairly simple for the band to splice together enough songs for a DVD.

The question, though, is continuity. Would people want a show recorded from start to finish? Do they want the guys in the same wardrobe for the whole thing? And what about sound quality -- it varies from venue to venue.

Offline u2pinstripes

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2009, 03:22:25 PM »

Absolutely right. Each leg of the claw has three HD camera operators, plus several more on stage and in the audience. That means there are probably 20 camera operators recording every show. It would be fairly simple for the band to splice together enough songs for a DVD.

The question, though, is continuity. Would people want a show recorded from start to finish? Do they want the guys in the same wardrobe for the whole thing? And what about sound quality -- it varies from venue to venue.

I would hate that idea.  I don't want to see 12 different venues in a DVD. When I watch it 10-20 years from now, I want to feel like I'm there..one venue is just fine.

Achtung40Life

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2009, 03:28:28 PM »
I agree, one venue. I doubt they'll film until the upcoming legs (after SOA is released). I'd love to see the DVD filmed in Moscow (or some place they've never been for that matter).

Offline silvrlvr

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Three things I need you to know -- three!
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2009, 03:55:38 PM »
I agree, one venue. I doubt they'll film until the upcoming legs (after SOA is released). I'd love to see the DVD filmed in Moscow (or some place they've never been for that matter).

That could be amazing.

Offline morph

• Refugee
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2009, 06:01:10 PM »
I think it'll be a ZOOTV style affair - two nights in one city.

First night, Adam falls of the wagon and goes AWOL. Second night, the best concert movie ever.

Offline muthangya

• Wanderer
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2009, 10:21:19 AM »

This would be pretty flippin' amazing.  Imagine a Rattle & Hum type dvd with raw, off-stage footage of what it takes to put on Rock's biggest production to date.  The coverage of multiple cities could include all the songs that have been dropped since the European shows, all the songs added for the NA shows, netting us with a setlist of thirty + songs!  A HD video diary of the tour would be amazing.  I hope it ends up as something in this vein.  Finishing this leg in October leaves plenty of time to produce this type of show for a holiday release in 2009.

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2009, 12:46:48 PM »

This would be pretty flippin' amazing.  Imagine a Rattle & Hum type dvd with raw, off-stage footage of what it takes to put on Rock's biggest production to date.  The coverage of multiple cities could include all the songs that have been dropped since the European shows, all the songs added for the NA shows, netting us with a setlist of thirty + songs!  A HD video diary of the tour would be amazing.  I hope it ends up as something in this vein.  Finishing this leg in October leaves plenty of time to produce this type of show for a holiday release in 2009.

I would ONLY want the compilation DVD (from several different venues) AFTER they have released a full 1-venue concert in its entirety.    There is something special about hearing/seeing 1 single great performance.  The compilation would be more for the ipod gneration (and I do love my ipod) where I wouldnt want to sit through a whole concert, I just want to hear 1 song at a time.  The compilation doesnt lend itself to as great a flow, dynamic, and atmosphere as a single show.  Sure, on paper you have the same flow, but in reality you miss the amazing transitions, the little pieces of spontaneity and interaction that happens between songs.  Even the crown noise adds something special and specific to that night, that event.  Some nites, the crowd just goes insane and this will flow right into the next song.  Where would you cut or edit in a compiliation.  SUre you can crossfade, but its not as good as keeping the unedited flow of a single show.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2009, 05:06:58 PM »
People are gonna jump on me for this, but would you as an artist put out a DVD on leg 2 of a tour with 2010 planned when you essentially play the exact same show every night.  I think that would be a huge mistake.  If you notice both U2 major stadium tours in the 90's had DVD's or VHS on the last leg.  It would kinda suck if your city hasn't seen them yet and they play the exact show on the DVD.  I wouldn't like that.