Author Topic: Can anyone, dear mods maybe... please tell me if there's a...  (Read 6245 times)

satellitedog01

Can anyone, dear mods maybe... please tell me if there's a...
« on: October 06, 2009, 02:21:07 AM »
another U2 fan site with a proper forum, that allows a more salty tongue, a bit of swagger and oh no, swearing?

Don't get me wrong, I like @U2 for reliable and quick information you're nice folk round here, and I don't plan leaving here, it's just so, that I don't like the overly sweet, lovey-dovey approach that's present among most of the users.

To our well respected mods: I made this question public, so if there are other dirty bstrds around, they can have the info too.

I'm starting to get weary of @U2's otherwise understandable squeaky clean policy, it's just not my natural habitat and I miss some tough conversations with  people who don't mind a few four letter words in the right context... I'm starting to hate sanitized stuff, reminds me of ATYCLB.

(I also think U2 is not a christian rock band, but merely a band that has members who might be/ were at a time christians, but I doubt any of them is a proper Biblical christian today. They maybe concerned with faith and Bono certainly has an appetite for the Bible, but I don't perceive U2 to be a measure of christianity, and it's of dubious value to percieve them as born-again christians at that...)

Sidenote: I also despise lovemail in various threads, which is unfortunately inevitable this being a fan forum, but enough is enough. (Youtube got it right with the thumbs up/down system) You needn't write "Oh, I love xy song /photo/member it's the best" in an otherwise insightful conversation, we know you love it, you wouldn't be here any other way...

Alright, so if anyone has had bad experience with other U2 sites being too dirty for their liking, let me know the address please!!!

Thanks, Montag

countrygirl

Re: Can anyone, dear mods maybe... please tell me if there's a...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 12:53:39 PM »
SD, maybe you should hang out in the Lounge or Fun and Games with us.  It's fun, it's light, have a few laughs! I'll look for you over there!!!

Don't leave because we are too "clean" for ya!!! :D

satellitedog01

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 03:11:48 PM »
Thank you Countrygirl, but it was never my intention to leave the forum, just to have a place where I don't have to be too finicky 'bout my language, either because of youngsters or christian people who don't take delight in my juggling "F"-s.

Don't get me wrong, I don't swear all the time, and I enjoy it not when meaning-, and limitlessly used, but it's a right I hold dear to occasionally be able to opine in vulgar words, which I would not do here.

daveyg

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 03:45:44 PM »
em, U2 dont seem to be a band that attracts foul langauge like maybe metal bands might, so, it'll be a tough job I think finding any U2 site that will have free reign on, well, expression. It's not a christian thing or the likes. There's been enough misunderstanding here without using f words so it's not really necessary to use it on a forum about U2!

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 04:33:12 PM »
This is a all age forum which we all respect that and our common connection is U2.
There is no need, we dont need it. Try it, you'll like it. ;)

Offline excavation

• Elevated
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 06:19:00 PM »
The thing about this place is that there are a lot of underage members - that needs to be taken into serious consideration by the mods.  If you find an adult-only forum, you may find what you want.  But all the larger public forums will be moderated.  Because U2 has such a broad audience, including a lot of underage kids, it will be difficult to find a forum that is adult only.  I'm sure there's one out there, but it will likely take some work to find it.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 09:44:07 PM »
Satellitedog- I think excavation and ocean have expressed it as best as it can be explained. We have members as young as 11 that read the threads here. That is just the way it is. Also - a U2 fan is allowed to express their love for them here. That is part of what this is all about. With that said, I don't think the mods ever edit anyone who criticizes U2 as long as you are respectful to other posters. We have always welcomed debate.

How about Interference-aren't they a bit more salty? I am really not sure of an answer for you because I am happy sticking with this one.

Oh and one more thing-

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Is that salty enough for you?    :D :D :D :D     ;)

I guarantee you we will be the most charming & welcoming forum you will ever find in cyberspace. Good luck in your search but we hope you stick around here as well!

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 01:06:44 AM »
Yes, SG, Interference is probably what he's looking for. I do post there also. It's more than a bit salty for my taste, sometimes, but I do appreciate a bit of adult humor occasionallyl :-X

See you over there, Satellite Dog!
Birdlover

satellitedog01

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 04:30:12 AM »
Dear commenters.
Some of you seem to have misinterpreted my words. I'm not leaving @u2, AND I DO RESPECT the no-swearing policy most of the time, I understand the appeal of U2 towards younger people, and if I want readers to know I'm pi**ed of, I am using euphemisms and abbrvs. instead of writing the actual words, so those who don't know them, don't learn it here.
I don't feel like changing my habit on THIS forum at all. I don't like four letter words being used without knowledge/understanding and meaning, and most of all, I hate them used to make up for a lack of vocabulary, which happens to be a western trend among youth(I don't know about eastern countries)
On the other hand, I sometimes need to vent my anger/frustration considering U2 related topics.
I know the bandmembers themselves are not squeakies, and they will use the odd swearword(s) when irritated, and I guess most fans have been exposed to hearing them do so.  I don't connect a forum policy to actions of the band so I might actually check out Interference.

Another major reason is: I am not in love with U2 anymore as much as I used to be, for various reasons. I do enjoy their music more than I will admit, but I can't take the expressions of utmost love towards EVERYTHING they happen to do, or create, and young people tend to express this love way more often and without restraint and that creates tension in me, which I don't want to unleash upon said young, naive and goodhearted people...

Thanks for all the invitation, information and advice.
I will stick around, so noone who deserves it, will miss my insults by an unsalted tongue.
:-)

Montag

Offline excavation

• Elevated
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 11:16:20 AM »
SD, I know where you are coming from, there are many fans who take the band much more seriously than they take themselves.  If you think this forum is bad, you should see the U2.com forum.  Part of what you are seeing I think is overcompensation.  When NOLOTH first came out, there were a lot of trolls coming on here with the sole intension of starting a fight.  It got to the point where I quit going onto that part of the forum, there was just no intelligence over there, as I'm sure SG can testify.  Things have probably settled a bit as most of the trolls have moved on to something else, but the fanatic defenders are still around.  I may start coming by more often, especially since I no longer need to avoid spoilers. 

satellitedog01

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 01:45:17 PM »
thanks Excavation. Trolls will be trolls of course, and some are annoying for sure... some others are actually fun to have around.

I never liked official forums, and I won't pay U2 for information I could get elsewhere, so .com is ruled out... :-) 

As the tour will pass though, I will have a bit less interest in U2, until there are news about SOA or anything really good.

Anyways, I have a lot of work to do, so I already have less time to read forums.

Offline polyester shirt

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • I'm content with who I am.
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 09:25:56 PM »
@u2 can be a bit lame at times, and is reminiscent of a site my mother would make, no offense to Matt, although it's inevitable you'll perceive it as an insult. To express myself in a genuine way, rather than conform to a policy everyone secretly despises, I go to Radiohead fansites.

Thom Yorke isn't afraid to get gritty.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

greenplastic.com

Now that's an expression of anger, and what appeals to me: humanity; yes I'm insinuating that you're robots.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 10:02:38 PM by Joe90usa »

satellitedog01

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 02:06:54 AM »
I am a Radiohead fan PolyShirt, and I've recently registered on AT EASE. I'll check the vids and comment back later on.

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 10:10:11 AM »
em, U2 dont seem to be a band that attracts foul langauge like maybe metal bands might, so, it'll be a tough job I think finding any U2 site that will have free reign on, well, expression. It's not a christian thing or the likes. There's been enough misunderstanding here without using f words so it's not really necessary to use it on a forum about U2!

LOL....because U2 would never use foul language themselves!   :D

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 11:17:58 AM »

LOL....because U2 would never use foul language themselves!   :D

Shh!  Don't tell anyone that they smoke and drink either! 

:D :D :D