Author Topic: Can anyone, dear mods maybe... please tell me if there's a...  (Read 6293 times)

Offline polyester shirt

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • I'm content with who I am.
Re: Can anyone, dear mods maybe... please tell me if there's a...
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 05:00:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
@u2 can be a bit lame at times, and is reminiscent of a site my mother would make, no offense to Matt, although it's inevitable you'll perceive it as an insult. To express myself in a genuine way, rather than conform to a policy everyone secretly despises, I go to Radiohead fansites.

Thom Yorke isn't afraid to get gritty.

greenplastic.com

Now that's an expression of anger, and what appeals to me: humanity; yes I'm insinuating that you're robots.  ;)

lol I'm quoting my doctored comment. Why are U2 fans so lame? Once again, I am silenced by the moderators. My original post had some content, which was significant to my post, but unfortunately it was viewed as obscene, even though I took the liberty of editing it myself, extensively. How ironic, having my comment edited in a thread discussing the site's tyrannical grip over "offensive language", because there are children as young as eleven, which I find absolutely ridiculous, on this forum.

Offline polyester shirt

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • I'm content with who I am.
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 05:09:41 PM »
Check this out.

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 10:09:45 PM »
another U2 fan site with a proper forum, that allows a more salty tongue, a bit of swagger and oh no, swearing?

Don't get me wrong, I like @U2 for reliable and quick information you're nice folk round here, and I don't plan leaving here, it's just so, that I don't like the overly sweet, lovey-dovey approach that's present among most of the users.

To our well respected mods: I made this question public, so if there are other dirty bstrds around, they can have the info too.

I'm starting to get weary of @U2's otherwise understandable squeaky clean policy, it's just not my natural habitat and I miss some tough conversations with  people who don't mind a few four letter words in the right context... I'm starting to hate sanitized stuff, reminds me of ATYCLB.

(I also think U2 is not a christian rock band, but merely a band that has members who might be/ were at a time christians, but I doubt any of them is a proper Biblical christian today. They maybe concerned with faith and Bono certainly has an appetite for the Bible, but I don't perceive U2 to be a measure of christianity, and it's of dubious value to percieve them as born-again christians at that...)

Thanks, Montag

What would you perceive this as?

satellitedog01

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 03:15:27 AM »
Actually Hawkmoon2e, I didn't really wanna bring this up, but I used to belong to a christian group that is firmly rooted in the Bible, and is a charismatic born again church. I stopped going, but belief and faith just don't quit, they keep hanging around. I still believe in Christ as my saviour. I just couldn't lead that kind of life, and I find it very dangerous to my faith, to associate U2, a group of people making tons of money out of rock'n'roll and possibly only in part christian folks, with God, and even if Bono speaks true words on occasion, I can't be sure of his actual state of faith. The truth is a rather narrow path, and I'm not sure rock'n'roll strolls along that, even if it's by U2. I claim to know what Bono wants with the music, but I don't know if God agrees. As B said, Grace is divine intervention, so our deeds don't reap their consequence. I'm afraid it works the other way around as well. Being good, doing good/great good to others, or showing good example on a humanitarian level won't buy you inside the gates of heaven. Faith is necessary...
I'm not judging Bono, but he's just human. At best, U2's music, AT BEST!!!! is a showcase of what inspiration and talent might come from God. It's like watching nature in it's force and beauty and be filled up with wonder.

So I remain sceptical in my relationship with U2, and leave my faith based upon the Bible. (If you listened to a lot of christian teachings, think about the meaning of lyrics of Mysterious Ways. That is either great, or big fat heresy from a biblical standpoint) Spirituality and sensuality are different things.

P.S.:Another thing I am curious about is swearwords. Why are there any... They are of course made up, mostly meaningless, and have some acoustic appeal to utter our frustration. What depth is there to them? What does God say about swearing? Anyone could pass on a passage?

Thanks.

Montag.

satellitedog01

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 03:20:27 AM »
Check this out.

Hey Poly, do you know why this has been closed off?! And to your previous links, I've watched the Echoplex show a day after on a blog that collected some great quality vids...

here's the link:

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 11:18:58 AM »
Actually Hawkmoon2e, I didn't really wanna bring this up, but I used to belong to a christian group that is firmly rooted in the Bible, and is a charismatic born again church. I stopped going, but belief and faith just don't quit, they keep hanging around. I still believe in Christ as my saviour. I just couldn't lead that kind of life, and I find it very dangerous to my faith, to associate U2, a group of people making tons of money out of rock'n'roll and possibly only in part christian folks, with God, and even if Bono speaks true words on occasion, I can't be sure of his actual state of faith. The truth is a rather narrow path, and I'm not sure rock'n'roll strolls along that, even if it's by U2. I claim to know what Bono wants with the music, but I don't know if God agrees. As B said, Grace is divine intervention, so our deeds don't reap their consequence. I'm afraid it works the other way around as well. Being good, doing good/great good to others, or showing good example on a humanitarian level won't buy you inside the gates of heaven. Faith is necessary...
I'm not judging Bono, but he's just human. At best, U2's music, AT BEST!!!! is a showcase of what inspiration and talent might come from God. It's like watching nature in it's force and beauty and be filled up with wonder.

So I remain sceptical in my relationship with U2, and leave my faith based upon the Bible. (If you listened to a lot of christian teachings, think about the meaning of lyrics of Mysterious Ways. That is either great, or big fat heresy from a biblical standpoint) Spirituality and sensuality are different things.

P.S.:Another thing I am curious about is swearwords. Why are there any... They are of course made up, mostly meaningless, and have some acoustic appeal to utter our frustration. What depth is there to them? What does God say about swearing? Anyone could pass on a passage?

Thanks.

Montag.

Yeah, I can understand what you're saying here.
Last comment on this since it's a 'Real World' topic. And as you know, us Mods stick to the rules...
My faith isn't in Bono or U2. I really think that grace is bigger than any of us can ever imagine. There's the topic of salvation through grace, and also reaping what we sew on this Earth. My point was to say that some people might judge a salty Irishman by his language and other stuff. But at the end of the day, I believe that God's judgement will be what we did with his Son.

But this topic begs the question of: You say you have faith in Christ, and you want to drop some explatives in your posts, but you question the faith of others for doing that same thing?
Am I reading this wrong?
Trust me, I know, because my grandparents were Irish, my parents are Irish, and the 'salty tongue has been passed down to me. But there's also a time to think of others and not ourselves. And I don't want to speak for m2, but the rules in this forum are made up for that reason... respecting others. Whether they're 11 years old, or older.

--Hawk

satellitedog01

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 12:44:56 PM »
Alright, I'll put it short. I don't think of myself as being the better christian to Bono, or a proper christian at all, I did state, that my belief has not been erased completely by living in the world, and it's a personal state of heart which inevitably will have to come to a conclusion of sorts, which topic is not up for debate here...

And my comment on B's belief was just about my distrust in mere people who can be all too easily changed, in general,  as opposed to a divine constant, that changes people, and that U2 are not always chanelling the absolute truth, for they are a mixed group. I am not God, I cannot learn anyone's heart, have no right or ability to do so, so I stay suspicious.

Secondly, I respect @U2's efforts to maintain a liveable, likeable community for music lovers, so I hold my tongue for the most part, and have not been asked to correct myself or restrain myself by anyone here, and plan to keep it that way.
I've come across forums, where obscenity was a sport, and trolls were the general population, and I'm not looking for something like that.
However, on rare occasions I will have to opine in rough words, to let people know the degree of dislike towards the opposing matter/thought/action discussed, to be able to skip topic once and for all.

Glad to find some depth on a fansite.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2009, 12:16:01 AM »
@u2 can be a bit lame at times, and is reminiscent of a site my mother would make, no offense to Matt, although it's inevitable you'll perceive it as an insult. To express myself in a genuine way, rather than conform to a policy everyone secretly despises, I go to Radiohead fansites.

Thom Yorke isn't afraid to get gritty.

greenplastic.com

Now that's an expression of anger, and what appeals to me: humanity; yes I'm insinuating that you're robots.  ;)

lol I'm quoting my doctored comment. Why are U2 fans so lame? Once again, I am silenced by the moderators. My original post had some content, which was significant to my post, but unfortunately it was viewed as obscene, even though I took the liberty of editing it myself, extensively. How ironic, having my comment edited in a thread discussing the site's tyrannical grip over "offensive language", because there are children as young as eleven, which I find absolutely ridiculous, on this forum.

For those wondering, the "doctored" comment that I edited was not within the posting standards as set by the forum rules that the overwhelming majority of users have no problem fitting their comments within. Had it been, I would not have edited it whether I agreed with it or not.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2009, 12:21:39 AM »

Secondly, I respect @U2's efforts to maintain a liveable, likeable community for music lovers, so I hold my tongue for the most part, and have not been asked to correct myself or restrain myself by anyone here, and plan to keep it that way.
I've come across forums, where obscenity was a sport, and trolls were the general population, and I'm not looking for something like that.
However, on rare occasions I will have to opine in rough words, to let people know the degree of dislike towards the opposing matter/thought/action discussed, to be able to skip topic once and for all.

Glad to find some depth on a fansite.

Hi SD.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I think the vast majority of posters on this board can express any emotion possible without the need to delve into the Anglo-Saxon portion of the language. Clearly you have the facilities to be included among that group. Because this is not a real-time chat site, we all have the ability to let the raw emotion that would entice us towards that language slide away and then consider our choice of words before hitting the "post" button. We all get tempted not to do so and that's when I step out of that thread and go elsewhere until I'm calmer of mind.

satellitedog01

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2009, 08:24:07 AM »

Hi SD.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I think the vast majority of posters on this board can express any emotion possible without the need to delve into the Anglo-Saxon portion of the language. Clearly you have the facilities to be included among that group. Because this is not a real-time chat site, we all have the ability to let the raw emotion that would entice us towards that language slide away and then consider our choice of words before hitting the "post" button. We all get tempted not to do so and that's when I step out of that thread and go elsewhere until I'm calmer of mind.
Yeah, that surely helps improve linguistical matters. :-) Although I'm certainly hotheaded enough for it to be a prodigious feat not to let go of control on the rare occasions, where common sense and restraint are beaten to death by some intellectually/emotionally malnourished individual... Dignity might still be maintained...